Sob?

JennyMorgan

1 minute ago, dnks34 said:

I wasn't aware SOB is fitted with a Nanni.

As many of us probably know a Nanni engine is nothing unusual on the Broads.  To state they cant get parts for it has got to be a weak excuse at best! 

He meant a 'nanny', we normally call them 'carers' for adults..... :default_icon_twisted:

The Aquabell 33 has been around since the mid 80's. There are enough examples out there to prove that there is nothing intrinsically wrong with the shape and design of the boat. There will be many different working combinations of engines and gearboxes in them by now. I would assume the only thing that can be wrong with The Spirit of Breydon is the engine or transmission and as expensive as they may be, if needed they could both be replaced and the boat back in service in a matter of weeks.

If there is something more intrinsically wrong with this boat, it can only be it's ability to work in shallow muddy waters without blocking it's raw water intakes or going aground. Or is that just the wrong boat for the wrong job? If so recondition the engine and transmission and admit defeat and put it on the market. Use a normal launch to patrol Breydon, suggest to the hire companies that they pay a retainer to Everitt Marine Services to keep them on call to tow any stranded hire boats of the mud, give out the number for EMS to any private boat that gets stranded on the mud, and let the RNLI deal with any genuine emergency situations on Breydon. Simples!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Surely if it is a Nanni Engine the original is a Kubota Engine so parts should be available worldwide even comes painted the same colour

The small ones are Kubota but the larger ones are Toyota or John Deere based.  If it's something broken on the marinised side they could have availability problems.

I guess it comes down to a choice between waiting for the parts even if there is many months delay, because it is more cost effective, or replacing the whole engine and if required transmission to effect a speedier repair and get the launch back in service.

Now here comes the interesting dilemma; Can you justify spending more to replace the whole engine / transmission to bring it back into service quicker, when you have an alternative less powerful, some might say much more suitable launch able to provide cover in the meantime? Or do you take the cheaper option and wait for the parts, off course the longer it is missing from the service, the more people realise it is not needed any longer!

I heard from a reliabl source  today that SOB is 'to be disposed of ', since she has not been found to be suitable for the Breydon job.

It would appear that she may have had two engine replacementys so far as well.   Boats selected by a committee are rarely a success - my attention was also drawn to the first electric partol launch, also 'committee designed'. That was a dissappointment too - allegedly.

2 hours ago, Poppy said:

It would appear that she may have had two engine replacementys so far as well.

If that's the case I would be looking at the installation and how the boat is operated rather than the engine itself.  The majority of modern engines are reliable, but not all are installed correctly or matched to the job they are being asked to do.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

The purchase of S O B was  a case of “I want” as opposed to “I need” , which is ok if is your own money but when it’s public money it’s a disgrace, but as usual no heads will roll, at least the registration numbers are correctly displayed.:default_hiding:

Sure about that ? :default_biggrin:

image.png.a0c6070baf70697372addec8eaf93d18.png

It doesn't matter how good and reliable a boat engine is and its setup/configuration, if it is not suitable for the job it it's doing it won't be reliable, broads boats have there prop protected by a large size skeg and many have two raw water filters or are keel cooled, harbour boats are designed to work in wide open deep waters and have a high speed to get to work sites and don't work in muddy shallow reed infested waters. The R N L I use inflatables or hover craft for shallow waters, perhaps asking the local workboat operators for their advice might be a sensible way to get the right replacement next time.John

• Like 1