Old Yarmouth Marina

dave3581

1 hour ago, dave3581 said:

hello   im hoping i got the name right  the old moorings at the north end of g/yarmouth  i stopped there many a time when it used to be open can any one tell me the future of itwill it ever reopen ?

There was a thread regarding this many months ago, i can`t remember the title, but i`m sure somebody will know. 

Somebody had bought it (i think?) and put in planning permission to develope it, but i think (again, not sure) it got rejected, so i`m not sure how it stands now.

THANKS for that jayfire                                                                                                                                                                                               thats all the info i wanted to know would be nice to see some extra moorings in g/yarmouth

Edited by dave3581

• 2 months later...

See what you mean David!  Broads Holidays Ltd (later traded as Helmsman) offices. Although I have a few doubts about the plan, it sounds a great improvement over todays eyesore and a much nicer place to moor while waiting for the tide over Breydon.

Fred

58 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

Will be interesting to see how much room there is under Potter if they dredge the marina quays moorings to the appropriate depth :default_hiding:

It has been pointed out somewhere along the way by an expert in such matters that any dredging sufficient to lower the water level at Potter would have the consequence of increasing the effect of salt water surges.

Last time we went by some crackhead was sitting in the doorway with a fire burning against the door. We rang 999 and a fire engine, accompanied by police, were sent out. The police rang us back later to update us but they didn't find the crackhead. Still, he probably would have only got a slapped wrist anyway :facepalm:

10 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Will be interesting to see how much room there is under Potter if they dredge the marina quays moorings to the appropriate depth :default_hiding:

Have you noticed any difference yet? They were dredged last year in preparation.

54 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Interesting to hear the BA will probably give it the go-ahead?. I wonder whether the fact that one of the moorings being for BA use only had anything to do with their decision?. 

Or am I just being a bit synical again?. 

I think you're just being cynical. The original application also had one of the moorings reserved for the BA as well and we all know what happened to that application!

3 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I think you're just being cynical. The original application also had one of the moorings reserved for the BA as well and we all know what happened to that application!

Yeah, I am a right synic at heart. And a luddite too. 

5 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Join the club, lot's of wisdom therein!

With all this modern technology, we are rapidly getting to the time where you WON'T be able to do ANYTHING WITHOUT a mobile computer (used to be called phones). You're under control and you don't even know it. What's more, many people will flatly refuse to accept they are, sad indeed when we live in a world in which technogy is king, and overrides humanity. 

But let's not get into that, that's for elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Have you noticed any difference yet? They were dredged last year in preparation.

I have noticed that there is still the same old tidal race over the gravel at Stokesby where the cattle swim used to be. That is a defitinite constriction of the flow!

7 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I have noticed that there is still the same old tidal race over the gravel at Stokesby where the cattle swim used to be. That is a defitinite constriction of the flow!

I seem to remember reading somewhere that dredging to remove mud is fine, if not problematic at times in terms of finding disposal sites, but that removing the harder bottom such as the shoals at Irstead and possibly at Stokesby requires a special license?

I have noticed that the boat seems to be carried sideways at low speeds on some of the lower bends on The Bure, something that used to happen a lot about 10 years and more ago, but not so much recently, which would suggest the current flows have increased on the Lower Bure.

11 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Actually I think there were quite a few saily's on the 3RR weekend that would also confirm that as well :default_norty: Seem to remember Wandering Rose spending a lot of time surveying that bend. :594c04f0e761f_default_AnimatedGifVehiclessaily:

I sailed along there, close to the bank (opposite side to the pub) during 3RR no problem, the Yeoman behind me came to a sudden halt with a big bang, as he hit the old ferry crossing. A Yeoman draws about 3ft, I was in a Lysander drawing 18 inches..

Yes I've spent many an hour there waiting for tide and wind in the 3RR...

27 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Actually I think there were quite a few saily's on the 3RR weekend that would also confirm that as well :default_norty: Seem to remember Wandering Rose spending a lot of time surveying that bend. :594c04f0e761f_default_AnimatedGifVehiclessaily:

Not called Wandering Rose for nothing then!😄