Ferry Marina Discount

The original offer was announced last week in their latest newsletter which I receive because I have subscribed. It offered 8 different boats on special offer till the end of May. One example Platinum Emblem from £581.00 all inclusive. Website price is £1153.00 17th to 24th May. I would imagine they say from £581.00 because the following week being a  bank holiday is £1500+ on the website so the offer price will probably increase proportionally. On their Facebook page they are offering Zircon, Mercury and Graceful Emblem from  Friday 24th May but state  Phone the office to take advantage of their fantastic May offer. This may be a way of shifting their un hired boats but it doesn’t, go down well with regulars like myself who  had to pay full price because I had booked with them  last November and couldn’t take advantage of the 30% discount offered throughout April. I won’t be booking early for later this year or April next year.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Graham47 said:

This may be a way of shifting their un hired boats but it doesn’t, go down well with regulars like myself who  had to pay full price because I had booked with them  last November and couldn’t take advantage of the 30% discount offered throughout April. I won’t be booking early for later this year or April next year.

And that's the thing - Plenty of us like to plan dates and have a specific boat the suits the group we're going with so we want to book in advance, but don't want the yard to be taking the wee-wee with pricing for being a customer that gives them cash upfront in their quieter period and allows them to plan.

You could also argue that 'all-inclusive' pricing sounds good but in reality you're paying a flat rate for fuel that's built in to the price based on average usage, whereas with other yards you only pay for what you use.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, oldgregg said:

You could also argue that 'all-inclusive' pricing sounds good but in reality you're paying a flat rate for fuel that's built in to the price based on average usage,

It's an option of course, and entirely optional. Some people feel happier knowing what their final cost will be, even if it turns out to be more than simply paying for fuel used. Not an option I would choose myself.

I believe that in some cases though, it can help to sell a holiday.

• Like 2

It looks as though prospective holidaymakers are holding back on booking anything at the moment. The overseas market (Thomas Cook for example) says Brexit has caused many people to either delay booking or switch to a staycation. As such you would have expected the UK market to be booming this year but this is not evidenced by "up to 50%" off deals we are seeing at the moment. My own rough & ready figures show there to be around 18% more boats still available this year compared to last year at this time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We love what Ferry Marina do, or have done ... haven't been with them since they changed ownership. But you never saw discounts with them previously. We always compare prices and we know that we have potentially paid more with them than we would if we hired elsewhere and only paid for fuel used. It is nice, though, when you come back and haven't got to wait for the yard to fill up the boat and then queue in reception to sort out the monies ... just load up the car and straight off.

But seeing these discounts available now does make me think that next year we might wait and see what's about if we want to hire rather than booking in advance. Although we do have specific requirements and I'm limited for time off work so ... it's the chance you take.

However I do like the winter discount combined with the early booking discount on Herbert Woods website for February. Haven't quite persuaded hubby yet that it wouldn't just be far too cold!!!

• Like 3

Businesses need to make a profit, the larger the better as far as they're concerned but a profit is a profit.

If you can be flexible, the more flexible the better deals you will be able to find. If the boat you want is Sludge Warrior, and you have to have it in the last two weeks in August, then it needs to be booked well in advance. If any boat will do and you can go with just 48 hours notice, then play Hunt the Bargains.

There is no point in getting all hot and bothered just because the boat you booked last year would have been available more cheaply had you risked your holiday on the gamble of booking it at short notice. 

• Like 3

I've always thought Ferry Marina were expensive, I was only looking at their site this morning they seem to have a lot of boats still available, never hired from them but friends of mine have and have always been happy with the service

However, I'm not really interested in the other hire companies anymore, we've found our 'perfect match' in Pacific Cruisers!

This will be our third straight hire with them, and I've yet to find even a minor niggle, nothing is too much trouble from a life jacket for our dog to letting us pick the boat up earlier, and we get given a discount when booking on already bargain prices!

Fiona Richard and the team just can't be beaten for customer service in my opinion

• Like 5

On 15/05/2019 at 22:27, Graham47 said:

The original offer was announced last week in their latest newsletter which I receive because I have subscribed. It offered 8 different boats on special offer till the end of May. One example Platinum Emblem from £581.00 all inclusive. Website price is £1153.00 17th to 24th May. I would imagine they say from £581.00 because the following week being a  bank holiday is £1500+ on the website so the offer price will probably increase proportionally. On their Facebook page they are offering Zircon, Mercury and Graceful Emblem from  Friday 24th May but state  Phone the office to take advantage of their fantastic May offer. This may be a way of shifting their un hired boats but it doesn’t, go down well with regulars like myself who  had to pay full price because I had booked with them  last November and couldn’t take advantage of the 30% discount offered throughout April. I won’t be booking early for later this year or April next year.

You have my sympathy here.   We generally book up a year ahead but think next year will wait around before rushing in and booking and paying a lot more in the end.     Just had a weeks holiday in a holiday lodge near to fishing lakes (it was absolutely fantastic) but were a bit miffed to see £200 knocked of the same week's price a couple of week's before our booking.

I have to say I've been surprised by the level of discounts being offered by ferry, I understand the yard is under new ownership. The new owners have obviously made a huge investment buying the ferry operation I've no idea who the new owners are or their background in the holiday, boat hire industry is. Could this be a case of just trying to get the cash coming in after such a huge initial outlay on the back of slow early bookings. You can also see cost cuttings in their new build graceful emblem, no bonded windows is the one that sticks out for me. Shame really as the metal framed windows just dont look right. 

• 1 month later...

Jasmine Emblem is still £1260 1st week of July though!

A years running cost for 2 weeks per year onboard Thunder is £800. Allow £150 for fuel and pump outs that’s £950.

I’m still winning

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

• Like 3

Ferry .marina have today put out their latest news letter offering 30% discount on selected boats from now to 28th July. Jasmine Emblem is now offered at £904.00. Looking on their website at 4 to 6 Berth boats they have 16 boats with 30 complete weeks available plus several short 3 - 4 day breaks during the month of July. 

10 hours ago, Matt said:

A years running cost for 2 weeks per year onboard Thunder is £800. Allow £150 for fuel and pump outs that’s £950.

I’m still winning emoji3.png

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

Hello Matt,

Quite right, on Ranworth Breeze our management for 2018 was £650 & £700 for 2019, these higher fees were levied for major upgrades on the boat over the last two seasons. Again the management fees are for two weeks allocations.

Regards 

Alan 

13 hours ago, Matt said:

I’m still winning emoji3.png

Quite right! This year my weeks are May and July. Equivalent hire cost would have been £2500. :51_scream:

I will have spent a bit more in fuel than you, but covered a lot of miles.

• Like 1