• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

In the latest round of discounts from ferry Marina their latest news letter is offering  up to 50% of of selected hire boats for the rest of May.

You can tell the ownership has changed.... 50% is a dangerous game to play

Dan

8 minutes ago, Dan said:

You can tell the ownership has changed.... 50% is a dangerous game to play

Dan

A game the present owners can afford to play, but doesn't bode well for the rest!

• Like 1

The original offer was announced last week in their latest newsletter which I receive because I have subscribed. It offered 8 different boats on special offer till the end of May. One example Platinum Emblem from £581.00 all inclusive. Website price is £1153.00 17th to 24th May. I would imagine they say from £581.00 because the following week being a  bank holiday is £1500+ on the website so the offer price will probably increase proportionally. On their Facebook page they are offering Zircon, Mercury and Graceful Emblem from  Friday 24th May but state  Phone the office to take advantage of their fantastic May offer. This may be a way of shifting their un hired boats but it doesn’t, go down well with regulars like myself who  had to pay full price because I had booked with them  last November and couldn’t take advantage of the 30% discount offered throughout April. I won’t be booking early for later this year or April next year.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Graham47 said:

This may be a way of shifting their un hired boats but it doesn’t, go down well with regulars like myself who  had to pay full price because I had booked with them  last November and couldn’t take advantage of the 30% discount offered throughout April. I won’t be booking early for later this year or April next year.

And that's the thing - Plenty of us like to plan dates and have a specific boat the suits the group we're going with so we want to book in advance, but don't want the yard to be taking the wee-wee with pricing for being a customer that gives them cash upfront in their quieter period and allows them to plan.

You could also argue that 'all-inclusive' pricing sounds good but in reality you're paying a flat rate for fuel that's built in to the price based on average usage, whereas with other yards you only pay for what you use.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, oldgregg said:

You could also argue that 'all-inclusive' pricing sounds good but in reality you're paying a flat rate for fuel that's built in to the price based on average usage,

It's an option of course, and entirely optional. Some people feel happier knowing what their final cost will be, even if it turns out to be more than simply paying for fuel used. Not an option I would choose myself.

I believe that in some cases though, it can help to sell a holiday.

• Like 2

Oh I don't doubt it, and I guess with their fugly boats they're not really targeting seasoned boaters so perhaps it's all part of a master plan.

:default_norty::default_norty:

• Like 1

Graceful Emblem is I think brand new, and as its completion date had been a bit fluid, my guess it has not had many bookings  allocated yet - I may be wrong though!!

• Like 1

It looks as though prospective holidaymakers are holding back on booking anything at the moment. The overseas market (Thomas Cook for example) says Brexit has caused many people to either delay booking or switch to a staycation. As such you would have expected the UK market to be booming this year but this is not evidenced by "up to 50%" off deals we are seeing at the moment. My own rough & ready figures show there to be around 18% more boats still available this year compared to last year at this time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just looked on the Secret Escapes website. Plenty of discounts 50% and some even more. Couldn't find any Broads cruisers. It can only be a matter of time...

We love what Ferry Marina do, or have done ... haven't been with them since they changed ownership. But you never saw discounts with them previously. We always compare prices and we know that we have potentially paid more with them than we would if we hired elsewhere and only paid for fuel used. It is nice, though, when you come back and haven't got to wait for the yard to fill up the boat and then queue in reception to sort out the monies ... just load up the car and straight off.

But seeing these discounts available now does make me think that next year we might wait and see what's about if we want to hire rather than booking in advance. Although we do have specific requirements and I'm limited for time off work so ... it's the chance you take.

However I do like the winter discount combined with the early booking discount on Herbert Woods website for February. Haven't quite persuaded hubby yet that it wouldn't just be far too cold!!!

• Like 2

Businesses need to make a profit, the larger the better as far as they're concerned but a profit is a profit.

If you can be flexible, the more flexible the better deals you will be able to find. If the boat you want is Sludge Warrior, and you have to have it in the last two weeks in August, then it needs to be booked well in advance. If any boat will do and you can go with just 48 hours notice, then play Hunt the Bargains.

There is no point in getting all hot and bothered just because the boat you booked last year would have been available more cheaply had you risked your holiday on the gamble of booking it at short notice. 

• Like 2

I've always thought Ferry Marina were expensive, I was only looking at their site this morning they seem to have a lot of boats still available, never hired from them but friends of mine have and have always been happy with the service

However, I'm not really interested in the other hire companies anymore, we've found our 'perfect match' in Pacific Cruisers!

This will be our third straight hire with them, and I've yet to find even a minor niggle, nothing is too much trouble from a life jacket for our dog to letting us pick the boat up earlier, and we get given a discount when booking on already bargain prices!

Fiona Richard and the team just can't be beaten for customer service in my opinion

• Like 5

Richardson’s price promise 😉

• Like 2