Where To Mud Weight And Top Tips?

simonwootton

Hi All

New to the forums but been on the Broads maybe 6/7 times previously so still a relative newbie, or feel it.

We're back with the kids (15 and 5) in August for 4 nights starting Wroxham. A couple of years ago we had a similar break and mud weighted on Little Hoveton Broad on our last night which was great. I was initially a bit nervous but it was great and we'd like to do it again, so looking for other good safe places to mud weight on the northern broads. Also, any tips on how to 'best' mud weight safely, I've read a few people who use weights front and back to stop the movement etc.

Any help is very welcome! Have a good week everyone.

Simon

• Like 1

Hello Simon

A very warm welcome aboard the forum from Jay and I :default_icon_wave:

Our favourites for mud weighting are Ranworth Broad and Salhouse Broad, very pretty Broads with lots of boat activity to sit and watch in the sunshine although I believe there is  a charge for Salhouse. Look out for the ice cream boat too

Have a lovely time

Grace

Barton Broad outside of the marked channel is also a favourite of ours to mudweight as well as the two afore mentioned locations. Hickling is also another favourite - Assuming you can get under 'That' bridge

On 'B.A' we have a secondary mudweight.  I deploy this off the aft end if fishing or wanting the tv on as you say it stops the swinging about, however make sure the bow is into wind on the fwd mudweight before deploying the aft mudweight and if staying overnight keep an eye on the forecast for wind direction change.  If it is due to change direction, in itself not too much of a problem but if picking up in strength then lift the aft one up before lights out.  When we hire the 3 x Jewel of lights from H.W's they always give us a second mudweight too

Griff

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

Hello Simon

A very warm welcome aboard the forum from Jay and I :default_icon_wave:

Our favourites for mud weighting are Ranworth Broad and Salhouse Broad, very pretty Broads with lots of boat activity to sit and watch in the sunshine although I believe there is  a charge for Salhouse. Look out for the ice cream boat too

Have a lovely time

Grace

Many thanks Grace (& Jay) !

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Barton Broad outside of the marked channel is also a favourite of ours to mudweight as well as the two afore mentioned locations. Hickling is also another favourite - Assuming you can get under 'That' bridge

On 'B.A' we have a secondary mudweight.  I deploy this off the aft end if fishing or wanting the tv on as you say it stops the swinging about, however make sure the bow is into wind on the fwd mudweight before deploying the aft mudweight and if staying overnight keep an eye on the forecast for wind direction change.  If it is due to change direction, in itself not too much of a problem but if picking up in strength then lift the aft one up before lights out.  When we hire the 3 x Jewel of lights from H.W's they always give us a second mudweight too

Griff

Thanks Griff, added to the list ;-)

Welcome to the site...:default_welcome:

My warning about Hickling is there are one or two places with a hard Bottom and the mud weight just doesn't stick in the bottom properly. One place is up toward the sailing club on their side of the channel.

There is also a hard ridge running across the broad about half way up outside of channel on the opposite side of the  broad..

PS if you are on the Broads 3rd to the 9th of August, That will be Horning Ragatta time. About a month before I'll post a guide to getting through with the least hassle..(called... Navigating the Northern Broads 3rd to 9th Aug 2019)

Hello Simon,

Welcome to the forum.

Like Broad Ambition, on Ranworth Breeze we also have a spare mud weight that we tie to one of the aft rails on the bathing platform, as Griff says you have to watch for drag but if you overnight on a Broad it beats going around in circles.

Regards

Alan

23 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hello Simon,

Welcome to the forum.

Like Broad Ambition, on Ranworth Breeze we also have a spare mud weight that we tie to one of the aft rails on the bathing platform, as Griff says you have to watch for drag but if you overnight on a Broad it beats going around in circles.

Regards

Alan

Great, many thanks Alan

26 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Welcome to the site...:default_welcome:

My warning about Hickling is there are one or two places with a hard Bottom and the mud weight just doesn't stick in the bottom properly. One place is up toward the sailing club on their side of the channel.

There is also a hard ridge running across the broad about half way up outside of channel on the opposite side of the  broad..

PS if you are on the Broads 3rd to the 9th of August, That will be Horning Ragatta time. About a month before I'll post a guide to getting through with the least hassle..(called... Navigating the Northern Broads 3rd to 9th Aug 2019)

Sounds good, thanks for the info. We are there 19th-24th Aug, so will miss the Ragatta :-(

Thanks again

34 minutes ago, simonwootton said:

Sounds good, thanks for the info. We are there 19th-24th Aug, so will miss the Ragatta :-(

Thanks again

Looks like you won't have much trouble... from the NSBA Green book.

The below is what I believe the clubs would like you to do, Please:default_coat:, if you see sailing boats.

On Barton and Wroxham broads keep round the edges ( the deep water side of any  marker  posts)

Horning keep right and slow through the  sailing particularly the Thursday junior training.

Hickling stick to the deep water channel most of the racing is outside that.

The other places I don't know I ain't been there:default_biggrin:(for sailing)

19 Mon Aug

*WOBYC - Oulton Week ........................................................Oulton Broad*
NPC -Junior Week..................................................................Barton Broad

sunrise 4:45 sunset 19:10

20 Tue Aug

*WOBYC - Oulton Week .........................................................Oulton Broad*
NPC -Junior Week..................................................................Barton Broad
HBSC - T Sail 1700hrs ...........................................................Hickling Broad

sunrise 4:47 sunset  19:08

21 Wed Aug

*WOBYC - Oulton Week ...........................................................Oulton Broad*
NBYC - Evening Sailing ............................................................Wroxham Broad
NPC -Junior Week.................................................................  .Barton Broad
HBSC - Evening club racing-1915hrs start...............................Hickling Broad
RBSC - Wednesday Evening Series.................. .........................Rollesby Broad

sunrise 4:48 sunset  19:06

22 Thu Aug

*WOBYC - Oulton Week ............................................................Oulton Broad*
HSC -Evening training ...............................................................Horning

sunrise 4:50 sunset 19:04

23 Fri Aug

*WOBYC - Oulton Week .........................................................Oulton Broad*

sunrise 4:52 sunset 19:02 Last Quarter

24 Sat Aug

BASC - Series C Club Racing .................................................................................Beccles
WOBYC - Summer Series racing - Programme A..............Oulton Broad
NRSC - Regatta at NBYC .....................................................Wroxham Broad
HSC - Sundown Series - river...............................................Horning
*NPC - Open Regatta..........................................................Barton Broad*
HBSC - Training Day...........................................................Hickling Broad
RNSYC - Ribsters Day.........................................................Lowestoft

sunrise 4:53 sunset  19:

1 hour ago, marshman said:

Technically there is a charge for mud weighting on Wroxham - but no one has ever tried to collect off me!  Salhouse is free for mud weighting but a charge if you moor either on the spit or in the Broad itself.

Thanks Marshman

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Looks like you won't have much trouble... from the NSBA Green book.

The below is what I believe the clubs would like you to do, Please:default_coat:, if you see sailing boats.

On Barton and Wroxham broads keep round the edges ( the deep water side of any  marker  posts)

Horning keep right and slow through the  sailing particularly the Thursday junior training.

Hickling stick to the deep water channel most of the racing is outside that.

The other places I don't know I ain't been there:default_biggrin:(for sailing)

19 Mon Aug

*WOBYC - Oulton Week ........................................................Oulton Broad*

sunrise 4:45 sunset 19:10

20 Tue Aug

HBSC - T Sail 1700hrs ...........................................................Hickling Broad

sunrise 4:47 sunset  19:08

21 Wed Aug

*WOBYC - Oulton Week ...........................................................Oulton Broad*
NBYC - Evening Sailing ............................................................Wroxham Broad
NPC -Junior Week.................................................................  .Barton Broad
HBSC - Evening club racing-1915hrs start...............................Hickling Broad
RBSC - Wednesday Evening Series.................. .........................Rollesby Broad

sunrise 4:48 sunset  19:06

22 Thu Aug

*WOBYC - Oulton Week ............................................................Oulton Broad*
HSC -Evening training ...............................................................Horning

sunrise 4:50 sunset 19:04

23 Fri Aug

sunrise 4:52 sunset 19:02 Last Quarter

24 Sat Aug

BASC - Series C Club Racing .................................................................................Beccles
WOBYC - Summer Series racing - Programme A..............Oulton Broad
NRSC - Regatta at NBYC .....................................................Wroxham Broad
HSC - Sundown Series - river...............................................Horning
*NPC - Open Regatta..........................................................Barton Broad*
HBSC - Training Day...........................................................Hickling Broad
RNSYC - Ribsters Day.........................................................Lowestoft

sunrise 4:53 sunset  19:

Thanks v much, really appreciate the info :-)

2 hours ago, RumPunch said:

Sounds obvious but make sure you  have room to perform a full 360 swing around the mudweight without risking hitting anything or anyone else - wind is a fickle mistress

Indeed, although I've seen quite a few who miss the obvious ...!

Take a pair of sturdy gardening glove for handling the line - cheap hairy polyprop can give you a swine of a friction burn! Also if the weight sinks too far to haul out, cleat the line off and drag it up using a good touch of reverse to break the suction.

Is it ok to ask the hire company for an additional mud weight.? Also if I decide to stop put the weights out in a large broad. Any tips or can it be dangerous. What should I do  when outing the wights out.  What do you need to do or recommend to make is as safe as possible overnight.  Esp in southern broads

There are really only two places to mudweight down "sarf "- Surlingham, (or more correctly) Bargate and Oulton. ( Yes Vaughan I know you are partial to Rockland but thats for the brave! )

Bargate is very sheltered generally and like all Broads,  you ascertain which way the wind is blowing and gently nose up towards where the wind is coming from - this will automatically give you some shelter as you approach the trees/reeds and lower the weight. Some people throw it in, but I prefer to lower it - saves problems if its round your foot!!  I never leave the second weight down at night so as to let the boat always point into the breeze  - if there is one. Leaving the weight at the back down, is inviting the wind to test your boats windage as its bound to move around over a 10/12 hour period.

Oulton Broad?  Generally off the end of Mr Wallers garden suits me nicely, unless he has a bonfire going - thats in North Bay which is the first bay on the left as you go in!!

However these answers about the sarf are all a bit academic really as you are only going for 4 nights and you would be hard pushed to get much south of Acle as you are supposed to be on holiday!!!!!!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, stumpy said:

Take a pair of sturdy gardening glove for handling the line - cheap hairy polyprop can give you a swine of a friction burn! Also if the weight sinks too far to haul out, cleat the line off and drag it up using a good touch of reverse to break the suction.

Nice tips Stumpy, especially the gloves as I remember the cheap polyprop last time. Many thanks.