More On Elusive

Not long since purchased Elusive, our second project . Our first boat, Icebreaker an Ohlson 35 lying in Grimsby after a million miles of sailing having crossed Biscay 10 times is up for sale now so just hope she fiends a someone to have fun with. As for our old woody, now completely back to bare ready to go back into full varnish.Mast ready and 8 coats of varnish and standing rigging being replaced next week.

Spent half of this week stripping out Interior, all sole boards up some to be replaced , engine fully serviced but fuel tank half full of brown diesel so got that to pump out.Finaly spent 2 hours scraping and scrubbing then

vacuamed all the crap out ready for going into the shed and new planks, got to RIP out all that white Larch, no place on a Mahogany boat.More pics to follow

Paul

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 2

Not long since purchased Elusive, our second project . Our first boat, Icebreaker an Ohlson 35 lying in Grimsby after a million miles of sailing having crossed Biscay 10 times is up for sale now so just hope she fiends a someone to have fun with. As for our old woody, now completely back to bare ready to go back into full varnish.Mast ready and 8 coats of varnish and standing rigging being replaced next week.
Spent half of this week stripping out Interior, all sole boards up some to be replaced , engine fully serviced but fuel tank half full of brown diesel so got that to pump out.Finaly spent 2 hours scraping and scrubbing then
vacuamed all the crap out ready for going into the shed and new planks, got to RIP out all that white Larch, no place on a Mahogany boat.More pics to follow

Paul

I remember passing Lowestoft but 5 wks later ready for a beer60540_1574491394490_4905491_n_1574491394490.jpeg

• Like 2

On 20/05/2019 at 20:26, Trapshot said:

Paul

Hi Trapshot

In the late 60s, my brothers and i helped to build an Ohlson 38 in Chatham Dockyard. The guy who was building her was a Commander of the Fleet Maintainance unit, based in the dockyard, so all the materials were, "found" shall we say, so the fit out cost very little. It taught me a lot about boats, how they go together etc, and eventually, the guy taught my brothers and i how to sail. He was a stickler for things being right, and "Challenge" as she was originally called was always ship shape and bristol fashion as they say.  He then sold Challenge and bought the bare shell of a Bowman Corsair 44, which was again economically fitted out with the help of my brothers and me,  in the dockyard. That boat he kept for many years until he felt he could`nt manage her. That yacht was, and still is called "Black Diamond" and is now a Sail Training ship, and is regularly sailed off the east, and north east coast. If anybody is interested, google "Black Diamond, sail training" and see what comes up.

Going back to the beginning of this post, even though Black Diamond is an excellent boat, i always prefered the look of the Ohlson 38,  such a gracefull and sleek looking yacht, and if sailed well, can be really fast even with her traditional hull design, and i would imagine the Ohlson 35 would be no different.

Hi Trapshot
In the late 60s, my brothers and i helped to build an Ohlson 38 in Chatham Dockyard. The guy who was building her was a Commander of the Fleet Maintainance unit, based in the dockyard, so all the materials were, "found" shall we say, so the fit out cost very little. It taught me a lot about boats, how they go together etc, and eventually, the guy taught my brothers and i how to sail. He was a stickler for things being right, and "Challenge" as she was originally called was always ship shape and bristol fashion as they say.  He then sold Challenge and bought the bare shell of a Bowman Corsair 44, which was again economically fitted out with the help of my brothers and me,  in the dockyard. That boat he kept for many years until he felt he could`nt manage her. That yacht was, and still is called "Black Diamond" and is now a Sail Training ship, and is regularly sailed off the east, and north east coast. If anybody is interested, google "Black Diamond, sail training" and see what comes up.
Going back to the beginning of this post, even though Black Diamond is an excellent boat, i always prefered the look of the Ohlson 38,  such a gracefull and sleek looking yacht, and if sailed well, can be really fast even with her traditional hull design, and i would imagine the Ohlson 35 would be no different.
You are right the only real difference between the two is the 38 is slightly wider in the bilge giving a different keel profile and they where encapsulated but not really a y faster as the same waterline length at 26 foot..
Icebreaker completed the 77 Fasnet and the North sea race, so needless to say when I bought her she was in need of big refit.20190225_172028.jpeg20181217_100525.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely stunning. She looks just like the 38, but only 3 windows, with one of the longer ones missing. These are typical of the mid 60s - late 70s, and the style of yachts i love. I hate these modern upright bows, with very wide aft profile and flattish bottom with a very deep narrow "plank" for a keel. They may be very fast on a calm day, but totally unseaworthy when the weather and sea  starts to get rough.  Pig ugly too, with very little difference in looks between many different makes. Some of the American built yachts have a more traditional look, but are often built to sail the lakes, so not very strongly built, and some that i liked at the Southampton show a few years back looked very nice, but were all finished inside with moulded fibreglass surfaces, the only soft stuff inside being the seats and bunk cushions. I asked the guy why, and he said the were designed for the much warmer climate, where most of the yachts have air con.  Surely it would be better to have their layout designed for each market and climate they`re gone to be used in?.

Back to the photo`s above, what`s NOT to like about such a stunning boat?.

• 1 month later...
Absolutely stunning. She looks just like the 38, but only 3 windows, with one of the longer ones missing. These are typical of the mid 60s - late 70s, and the style of yachts i love. I hate these modern upright bows, with very wide aft profile and flattish bottom with a very deep narrow "plank" for a keel. They may be very fast on a calm day, but totally unseaworthy when the weather and sea  starts to get rough.  Pig ugly too, with very little difference in looks between many different makes. Some of the American built yachts have a more traditional look, but are often built to sail the lakes, so not very strongly built, and some that i liked at the Southampton show a few years back looked very nice, but were all finished inside with moulded fibreglass surfaces, the only soft stuff inside being the seats and bunk cushions. I asked the guy why, and he said the were designed for the much warmer climate, where most of the yachts have air con.  Surely it would be better to have their layout designed for each market and climate they`re gone to be used in?.
Back to the photo`s above, what`s NOT to like about such a stunning boat?.
Well finally got icebreaker on sale with boatshed we can hopefully get on with Elusive now that she is in the shed,
Only 8wks behind schedule and requiring 180ft of new timbe. More pics to follow next week I hope.
Paul

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Well finally got icebreaker on sale with boatshed we can hopefully get on with Elusive now that she is in the shed,
Only 8wks behind schedule and requiring 180ft of new timbe. More pics to follow next week I hope.
Paul

Getting somewhere at last, but that 180ft of planks is now around 300 on portside only. With a bit of luck 200 will finish the starboard side but am being optimistic , 20plus new ribs port side with 4 new oak floors to cut and fit when finished with planking. That will see October out I think while waiting for primer and siko to go below waterline.
Brian started fairing in all the planks last Friday so by today, Tuesday it should all be done and then can get on with rewire inside and fit water tank.
More soon.regards Paul 20190816_150503.jpeg20190823_111812.jpeg20190920_121434.jpeg20190823_111812.jpeg20190823_104201.jpeg20190920_121425.jpeg

• Like 4