How: Change A Boats Name?

Cockatoo

We've looked at quite a few boats now (see https://forum.norfolkbroadsnetwork.com/topic/16610-semi-liveaboard) and one question I have is about changing the boats name.

Well more than one actually :default_biggrin:

How?

By this I mean the procedure, not physically marking the new name on her.

When?

OK we've paid our money, the boat is ours. We now need to get it from wherever we bought it to our chosen moorings so we need insurance, breakdown cover and to pay the toll. At what point is the name changed?

Basically I'm asking for a 'Dummies' guide :default_biggrin:

There is nothing official about a name. Tell the Broads Authority the new name when you register your ownership.

Tell your insurer when you get the insurance.

Change the name on the boat when you get the chance.

Take the old name off, put the new one on and inform whichever authority she is licensed with. That's all there is to it.

Some people will tell you it's bad luck to do it in the water and that she should be lifted out, that's up to you. You might want a small ceremony and to pour a libation over her bows, again up to you. 

When you buy a boat, or first bring one to The Broads, you have to register it with the BA. It would make sense to register the boat in your name with the new boat name. Again you probably need to supply the name as well as the reg number to your insurance company so again I would use the new name.

As to the actual name change, well there are many superstitions about when to change a boat name but if your not superstitious you can basically change it at any time.

I first changed the name of my boat just after I bought it and did that whilst it was in the water. I changed it again about four years later and this time left it until I had her lifted onto the hard standing for some general maintenance and cleaning etc, and changed the name then.

My boat "Nyx" used to be called Grey Goose IV. I just changed it by going into the nearest pub to it, having a few beers and promising the boat I'd get round to telling all the pubs her new name in due course. (now it seems I've got to go round all the pubs again and tell them that some people think she's called "Loos")

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

My boat "Nyx" used to be called Grey Goose IV. I just changed it by going into the nearest pub to it, having a few beers and promising the boat I'd get round to telling all the pubs her new name in due course. (now it seems I've got to go round all the pubs again and tell them that some people think she's called "Loos")

It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it. :default_beerchug:

• Haha 2

Check to see what references are on the bss cert as if you change the name before registering with the BA they may not accept it, call them first if you are not sure, once they are happy with the bss being for the boat just tell them of the change.

I'm sure some piccies of old name along with any old reg numbers will help.

Literally just done this myself, when you register the boat in your name the form you use has a box for the boats name - just put the new name in there, job done. When you insure just tell them the name you are going to put on the boat, again job done.

Incidentally if like me you dont have a cheque book for your bank account and you don't wish to write ALL(inc security code!)of your card details on the form you can put a phone number down with please ring for payment and they will do just that(I asked them and they said it wasn't uncommon to do so).

As for the superstitions, each to their own but it seems I have accidentally got it 'right' as the boat came out of the water showing her old name and will go back in with the new one :)

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

I think I need to visit Nyx with my car PO02.