Itenary 7 Days

FrankHughes

Hi sorry to ask , been looking on the forum, which is most excellent. Can anyone provide links from previous posts or give advice about traveling south to north the end of July start of August. As I understand it is a very very busy time. Starting broom boat yard. Hope to head to Norwich then perhaps Beccles and or North. Any suggestions. Andrea my wife has never been in the south Broads, it’s her 50 th Birthday. We have hired a broom cadet. ..

I have posted earlier and had some good suggestions for places to eat, esp for her birthday. 

What they said! With only a week, and hiring on the south, I wouldn’t be desperate to go north, especially at the end of July. 

My favourite moorings on the south are Langley Dyke, Beccles, Loddon, North Cove, Brundall Church Fen, Reedham and Bramerton Common. Once I started the list it kept growing. So many lovely places on the south and very easy to spend a week there. 

• Like 3

I tend to agree, it will be busy! Chances of mooring at the honeypot places like Ranworth, Womack and Horning will be virtually nil I'm afraid. 

One possibility would be to hop on a train to Wroxham for a visit or hire a cab. Could save the hassle! Good luck whatever you do. 

• Like 3

Couldn’t agree more with what has been said, the south has so much to offer apart from being quieter. To SwanR’s list (which include my favourite moorings) I would add Hardley Mill, a visit to the mill if it’s open and a lovely walk along the river bank. The northern rivers will be heaving, why join the melee if you don’t need to?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, FrankHughes said:

Hi sorry to ask , been looking on the forum, which is most excellent. Can anyone provide links from previous posts or give advice about traveling south to north the end of July start of August. As I understand it is a very very busy time. Starting broom boat yard. Hope to head to Norwich then perhaps Beccles and or North. Any suggestions. Andrea my wife has never been in the south Broads, it’s her 50 th Birthday. We have hired a broom cadet. ..

I have posted earlier and had some good suggestions for places to eat, esp for her birthday. 

I would say exactly the same as everybody else, if your good lady has never been on the Southern rivers, and you`ve hired from Brooms, stay south, the extra relaxation will be so much more enjoyable, as you won`t be waisting up to 2 days going from south to north and back. Those 2 days will be extra relaxing cruising, so you can cut your speed and not be in a hurry, or tide punching to get places.

As for places to moor,  as others have said,  Beccles, DEFINITELY Loddon (with breakfast or lunch, or afternoon tea in Rosie Lee`s tea room, Caroline is a real gem), Langley Dyke, if Cadet can get under Beccles old bridge at low tide (which i think she should, but check) then Geldeston Lock  definitely, Rockland staithe, Reedham quay. If you wish to go to Norwich, you could moor at Reedham or Brundall and get the train.  If you like, or are interested, Oulton Broad on a Thursday afternoon / evening, and Waveney River Centre.  There are so many excellent places to stop on the Southern rivers, and if you don`t waist 2 days going from South to North and back, you should be able to visit  most of them.

Whatever you do,  ENJOY.

• Like 1

Many many thanks all for your advice,  speedtripple, Vanessa’s, Mr Nog ( regards to Mrs Nog and any other Noggins)   ransworth, Swan R and Hylander. On reflection, better to have a relaxing and enjoyable time rather than stress about tide times aircraft, bridge heights etc. Thanks again. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Enjoy! You'll have a great time :default_beerchug:

When are you and Mrs Nog going to hire in the summer then Howard?. It would be good to meet up sometime, but we don`t do the winter months. Karen feels the cold badly due to certain medication, so winter cruising is out. We`ve done November, but even that is a bit cold for her.

• Like 1

We'll be out in December Neil but not again before then I'm afraid. It is a shame about the cold, it doesn't bother us at all but I fully understand how Karen feels. Having said that we had lovely sunny weather last December and February. It's not for everyone, I appreciate that. Lovely and quiet though! :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

We've used the station before now, very handy. I like the pub too, very friendly and a proper pub. Hoewve the beer choice is a bit limited. Reedham has the advantage of 3 pubs within walking distance, Generally all 3 have a Humpty Dumpty on :default_beerchug:

It's also a good place to sit on the wall, Andrew style, and watch the world go by. Handy for water in winter too. And the shop. 

Having said all that Cantley is a good spot and you can usually find a mooring even in season.