Retro Fitted Swim Deck ??

Hi All,

Just spent a lovely weekend boating and have found a possible upgrade for our boat, if it could be achieved? i would like to know your views and any recommendations for people or yards capable, if there are any and my idea isn't stupidity!

We have a small access door on the stern of our boat and a small swim deck area, i would be interested on your views regarding extending the swim deck by a about a foot, i have attached a photo, i was thinking teak decking over the top of our original deck, with perhaps stainless brackets underneath as supports, any ideas on whether this is possible and any recommendations for people /yards capable?

If it is poss it would make a much nicer access for elderly parents, if not we can't take them hmmmm maybe not such a good idea after all :1_grinning:.

20190527_135323.jpg

20190527_135351.jpg

Extending your swim platform would create some problems when stern mooring , your current set up seems perfect and obviously stable when stern moored .

on Cerise Lady we have to use a couple of suspended fenders to protect our platform BUT that means we are unable to tie up tightly so are prone to movement with the wind etc even when using mud weight .

also I find difficulty in seeing how an enlarged platform would make it easier for elderly to gain access as your current platform means they can grab the existing rail on entering which they wouldn’t be able to do if a longer platform was used 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mdblackburn said:

Hi All,

Just spent a lovely weekend boating and have found a possible upgrade for our boat, if it could be achieved? i would like to know your views and any recommendations for people or yards capable, if there are any and my idea isn't stupidity!

We have a small access door on the stern of our boat and a small swim deck area, i would be interested on your views regarding extending the swim deck by a about a foot, i have attached a photo, i was thinking teak decking over the top of our original deck, with perhaps stainless brackets underneath as supports, any ideas on whether this is possible and any recommendations for people /yards capable?

If it is poss it would make a much nicer access for elderly parents, if not we can't take them hmmmm maybe not such a good idea after all :1_grinning:.

20190527_135323.jpg

20190527_135351.jpg

If you put a galvanised shackle on that rusty ring and then pass the rope through the shackle then you will avoid rust marks on your otherwise immaculate mooring ropes! 

We have a bathing platform and I looked at getting it shortened to ease stern on mooring but the cost made it a no brainer.

Your platform looks to be about the size I would have ours shortened to!

It is your choice/money so my only advice is, if you want it the costs would include lifting and make sure a reliable fitter does the job.

paul

There are boats around that do have bathing platforms prone to riding over the quay, the Birchwood 340 for instance has a moulded platform thats sits above the waterline quite a bit and they can be stern moored with care. 

Having something designed and built for the job factoring in stern mooring could be done but i imagine very costly. 

Also as Grendel rightly points out extra area will increase your Toll!!

1 minute ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Bathing platform doesn’t affect your tolls , the tolls are based on the boats length and width , otherwise divides etc would also mean an increase , when we registered Cerise Lady I mentioned our platform and was asked to confirm the boats length and width only 

Not the tolls but certainly the mooring charge.

• Thanks 1

On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 20:48, CambridgeCabby said:

Bathing platform doesn’t affect your tolls , the tolls are based on the boats length and width , otherwise davits etc would also mean an increase , when we registered Cerise Lady I mentioned our platform and was asked to confirm the boats length and width only 

if it's fixed down then it should be included in the length  * width .

if it's a folder then it doesn't, same applies to davits..

Interpretation 4 In these Byelaws, unless the context otherwise requires: “The Authority” means the Broads Authority.
“Extreme Beam” means the full width of a vessel at its widest part and includes fixed fendering.
“Length” means the full length of a vessel and includes any fixed fendering, bowsprit and any davits which are not retractable.

“Pleasure Vessel” means any vessel used for sport  or recreation whether hired or privately owned and includes a houseboat.
“Vessel” includes a sailboard.

PW is right about the mooring rings - by putting a large shackle on you will not only have cleaner ropes but a smooth shackle will reduce chafing!

Its the finer points which make all the difference!!

P.S. About the bathing platform - however it is made, or attached, it would never be as durable or efficient as a moulded platform from the outset, and may well look like it was - an afterthought. I would leave well alone!

A friend of mine has a searay sunsport 295 which has a factory ott swimdeck. Its not on the broads (greece actually perfect place for a boat like that) if you was to go with such id recommend getting a replication of such.. it would need to built well though but find the right people to it and it will work. Obviously stern moorings are a thing in the med tol although you generally tie off away from the mooring using the anchor.

Our own boat has an custom stainless timber flimsy thing but its purpose is to just protect the stern drive but yup not the best thing.

Personally i wouldnt touch it.. just put on your want list for your next boat..images.jpeg

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app