Dilham Water Mill / Dilham Lake

A snippet taken from the above link:-

Dilham mill originally stood across the river Ant but the river was diverted to form the North Walsham & Dilham Canal, which was completed in 1826.
There is little doubt that prior to the canal being built the mill was effectively at the head of the historically navigable River Ant and was served by wherries accessing up the tail stream. This section of the Ant was, and still is to some extent, subject to tidal influence giving the right of free navigation, but the canal company could well have expected the right to charge craft using its much more direct channel up to the mill. This, however, the company was specifically prevented from doing by a special clause in the Act preserving the right of free navigation up to the mill.
Despite this, it would appear that when Honing Lock was constructed fairly close to the site of the mill, steps were taken to construct a dam near the mill to create what was known as Dilham Broad or Dilham Lake and an entrance to this broad was created from the canal upstream of Honing Lock. Thereafter wherry access to the mill appears to have been southwards across the broad to the mill head and the former access via the mill tail seems to have fallen into disuse.
Alan Faulkner - 16th April 2003

At one time the mill dam covered 25 acres and it is said that the cause was an accidental breach of the river bank in 1868. The story goes that this was the time of a disastrous drought and when a local farmer attempted to dig a tunnel to gain water, the resulting inflow quickly got out of hand and resulted in the flooding of Dilham beds.

The level of the mill dam has dropped and is now below the level of the old wheel sluice.

Griff

• Thanks 2

This is a very good book for anyone interested in Norfolk History. I bought my copy years ago and it cost £30, but there must be loads on the secondhand market now. It covers a huge breadth of topics but obviously not in depth.

20190528_131744.thumb.jpg.d39b198f2a471d936894c5b672337429.jpg20190528_131727.thumb.jpg.531469683a0be5e998f8d4e1468938bb.jpg20190528_131721.thumb.jpg.0a1a9a4f77d10b038e0c82fec4a63896.jpg

Excellent work Griff with some good stuff coming out of the woodwork ! I hope to add to the bit on Dilham "lake" but an trying to find a link as I know the NWT archivist published an article on it sometime ago.

However one thing that is incorrect I think is the point raised about the Natural Tidal LImit on the navigation bit - the NTL is an official point marked on OS Maps and the NTL for the Ant is just as you enter Barton Broad - tidal influence is felt above these marks  but that does not mean it is the official point. The one on the Bure is is just level with the top entrance to Wroxham Broad for example.

No doubt someone will tell me I am wrong and that its now been moved - actually I wonder who decides that?

• Like 2

That was proved to be naughty but old mills do burn down the combination of tinder dry wood and combustible dust is as they say "An accident waiting to happen"

my os open data map puts it as you both say, just at the entrance of duck broad, just before you turn the corner into Martham Broad, just as you enter Barton, just before the second entrance to wroxham broad, at the end of the moorings at south walsham broad, at the river end of the dyke at ranworth, all the way into Norwich to the mill on the Yare, up to the road on the chet, up past the locks at geldestone

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ChrisB said:

My maps concure with MM and further east the NTL is at the entrance to Duck Broad and the entrance to Martham Broads.

I think it was in my "Hamiltons Navigation" book that it referred to Martham Broad as "Martham or West Somerton" Broad, and also  states the Thurne (originally known as "The Old Hundred River"?) used to empty in the North Sea to the east of it, via what was latterly called "The Old Hundred Stream", because the outfall course had dried up. If you look on Google satelite view, you can pick out the original course as said in the guide. I think (i may be wrong?) it also said the original course of the Old Hundred River, now the Thurne, used to originate from the Ant just below the southern side of Ludham Bridge near the top of the bend that turns south by the southern side of the boatyard. 

I`m sure i`ve still got the guide, so i`l try to dig it out and check it.

• Thanks 2

The body of water to the south of where the map above says Waldron Marsh is I believe " Ranworth Flood"  Now it would make a really safe and sheltered Mud Anchor  place. Should you drag no harm could come.  I think, that old, almost "Oxbow" would be really worth restoration. St Benetts could then become a rafting up mooring taking many more boats at the busy times.

• Like 1

Thats Mr Cator's private shooting broad!!!! You are, I suspect, very welcome indeed to put your suggestion to him - cannot guarantee the response!!!  All around that area the Cator Estate actively manage the marsh to produce a large quantity of reed on an annual basis.

The two Martham Broads are better identified as North and South these days if only to differentiate them - the North used to be used by fishermen but is now quite weedy - the South to which access is only through a locked gate, much less so.

The Hundred Stream does indeed come out at Dungeon Corner where the NTL is - for the early stretch there is still water in it. There is actually a barrier structure there so there is no access but the marsh to the west of the Hundred Stream, Starch Grass, is another very productive and active reed cut by a well known (locally) character - or whatever else you may call him!