MOORING GUIDE + facilities

robdorling

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello John,

Have a look at the Richardson films, there is a link to their first timer instruction and there is several video's that show a range of topics including mooring.

We all have good and bad mooring experiences and times when we wish nobody was watching, but the feeling of gliding slowly into a mooring outside a pub and you just step off the boat casually and tie it off, there is not much better :lineup:

Regards

Alan

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We arrived at Oulton Broad yesterday. The pontoons are full/booked up for the Easter weekend but there are no hirers on the concrete at the moment.

Non-powered                                            Powered

Stern                                            £8.50                                                        £12

Side                                             £13                                                           £16.50

Short stay (4hrs) 10am-4pm        £5                                                             £7

Water £2

Shower £2

To say I was somewhat shocked when I saw this about half an hour ago would be an understatement!   :cry :cry :cry

(And it applies to Beccles, too).

• 2 weeks later...

We are thinking of taking our dinghy up through Potter to Horsey Windpump-does anybody know if it is possible to moor a dinghy there?

Hi Matt,

Horsey windpump is open to the public and is a National trust property. The dyke is a dog leg, and narrow at the top, but with ample room for a dinghy, though i don`t know whether there`s a charge?.  A couple of years back Karen and i went there by car, and the views from the top of the windpump are spectacular. There`s also toilets and a food outlet there, so you won`t have to take food in the dinghy.

Great list of moorings and water points etc.

Has anyone any experience of mooring up at Thorpe river green or the outskirts of Norwich, we want to visit Norwich Sept/Oct and looking for overnight within an hour of Norwich, Thorpe green looks nice on Google maps but close to a rd. Any advice please...

It is close to the road but it's not that bad. The bridge height at either end may cause you an issue. Whilst I have never moored there the Commissioners Cut (I think that is what is called) is often talked about as a good place to moor and then catch the bus into Norwich. There is always the mooring at Whitlingham which is on the main river by Thorpe.

• Like 1

We have moored at Thorpe green without problems at all.

The road noise is almost inaudible but the issue with the

bridges may be! You have to keep in mind what time you

might want to leave the next day!!

We have an air draft of 6' 7" exactly so I'm happy with 

6' 10" for piece of mind, with canopy/screens down.

Lovely mooring.

(We are hoping to get under on Monday 9th June)

• Like 1

Thankyou Matt and BuffaloBill we are in hire boats both Bath tubs so air draft around 6'9" from memory. I was wondering why Thorpe seemed quiet (on google maps) and not mentioned in discussions on the web its The bridge height.....

This is the second time of posting this.    See what happens this time.

Hippersons at Beccles do fuel , not sure of their current fuel price and the best pump out on the Broads for £12.    Service with a smile which makes a change.    You can pay to moor there overnight.

Hampton Boats at Oulton Broad when he is there pump out £18.

Burgh Castle pump out is £17 and I think that is irrespective of how many loos you have.   Overnight mooring available but at a cost I think it is £15.

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly off topic but still relevant I feel.

When you are mooring up, could you all move up a post!  I know it's nice to have your personal space and not be nose to tail with the boat in front, but with moorings at a premium and with the volume of traffic it would be good if everyone did there bit to make as much space available for other boats to moor.   

When we moor up we always pull the boat back so that the free mooring space in front/behind us allows for other boats to moor.  Not everyone does this and it is very frustrating to arrive at a mooring spot to see moored boats with gaps between them that had they moved up would have allowed for another boat. 

Happy boating everyone :)

• Like 2

With regards to Thorpe Green we use to hire from Hearts there in the 90's and yes it is a very nice mooring, busy at rush hours on the road, and from memory the bus service stops quite early, so check bus times to get back.

There is a little play in the height guage in our favour, but not much. I hired the old Bermudas from there. they went through on 7ft no problem. 

cheers Iain.

• 1 year later...