Plastic In The Water

Yes I know, we are being told about plastic in our ocean's / sea's, but also in the Norfolk Broads.

While doing our engine check over the weekend and finding a piece of plastic in one of the Sea Cocks.

It just shows that, even The Norfolk Broads has not got away from having plastic floating in it's waters.

Regards

Marina  :default_stinky:

• Like 1

And then there is the danger of small particle and nano fibre that the numerous sewage outfalls all over The Broads can't filter out.

I went over Postwick Viaduct the other day and judging by the amount of foam coming forth from the main pipeline I think Whitlingham works might struggle if it is put under any more pressure from development or extreme rainfall.

• Like 1

I have noticed just how much plastic rubbish is about.  On the main rivers it tends to be what people litter that then finds it's way into the water, but what is more worrisome is where there are  natural areas where debris collect. Usually these are where two quay headings come together at a 45 degree angle and trap debris as they come in on a flood tide.

You will get the usual items like branches and leaves, but in the mix I have seen a large number of plastic bottles. It is not just drinking bottles, everything from engine oil bottles to automatic transmission fluid bottles. It is not so common to find a carrier bag, but a black bin bag on the other hand is not so rare to spot.

I dread to think how much general litter ends up in the Wensum as it passes through Norwich, and flows out on an Ebb tide down the Yare. Conversely how much might come in through Yarmouth. I think plastic is pretty bad, but not as evil as it is being made out to be - the main issue is us - people - who don't give much of a damn about things, that water bottle chucked on the street, that gets kicked into the river - right there at that moment you've just got something that will be either in the river system or sea for years and years and when it begins to breakdown those smaller chunks, which turn into seven smaller bits never will actually go away.

I am of an age to remember  campaigns  for let's keep Britain tidy.Sadly it didn't work.Think there must be some joined up thinking. From companies turning away from single use plastic,Governments National and  local getting tough on those that leave rubbish where it shouldn't be and us taking responsibility of our own mess.

• Like 3

especially when they come ready packaged in their own biodegradable skin.
Exactly. Even if people dropped the skin on the floor it wouldn't last long. Last time we were aboard we found a black rubbish bag floating just above Wroxham Bridge, pushed it to the side and after we moored I went back to try and retrieve it. A guy was already trying but it split and we had to fish all the stuff out individually. All plastic posh nosh (Waitrose) wrappers :(

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Take a walk along the riverbank downstream of norwich at somewhere like surlingham after a big tide and the lower bits of ground are covered in small plastic tubes, they are the stick of cotton buds, the sooner the ban on cotton buds/straws/stirrers in plastic come in the better as far as I'm concerned.

On 31/05/2019 at 09:04, grendel said:

especially when they come ready packaged in their own biodegradable skin.

Bananas too. I saw a very 'posh' looking lady last week choosing some  - which she carefully placed in one of the plastic bags provided!  WHY ?? :default_icon_mad: