The Cricket World Cup.

I'm not an avid sports fan but I love it when there's a cricket match on the village playing field overlooked by the church steeple. Something so timeless and peaceful just makes me glad to have been born here :433_cricket:

There's a breathless hush in the Close to-night—
Ten to make and the match to win—
A bumping pitch and a blinding light,
An hour to play and the last man in.
And it's not for the sake of a ribboned coat,
Or the selfish hope of a season's fame,
But his captain's hand on his shoulder smote
'Play up! play up! and play the game! '

For the uninitiated this handy diagram of fielding positions should help :default_biggrin:

FB_IMG_1559208717884.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Matt said:

I can see England winning the World Cup and the Ashes without losing a match....

Fingers crossed they do!

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

I wish I shared your optimism, but England's batting, whilst very dynamic is far too brittle. The next collapse is always just around the corner. Once you get to a tournament such as the World Cup rankings usually go out of the window, as the West Indies demonstrated today. 

Bob Willis, monotous old wind bag that he can be at times, hit the nail on the head a few minutes ago. England's footwork was totally absent. They seem to have a mindset that they can just stand and slog. Cricket, in any format is not like that. 

On 03/06/2019 at 23:48, VetChugger said:

Ahhh, Bob Willis! That world famous technically correct record breaking batsman????   Oop's

That's the man, who for many years held the world record for the most not out's in test cricket..... they couldn't get Bob out!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh dear, another dismal performance by England chasing a modest total. They can only play one way, bash, bash, bash, and when the wicket isn't suitable and they need to start playing proper cricket they are totally incapable. 

With New Zealand and India to come I can see England not winning another game in this tournament. 

I've been signed off work for the last three weeks so have found myself watching quite a lot of the cricket! Great match today.

I feel really sorry for Afghanistan though as I have seen them come so close to winning their matches on a couple of occasions.

So now we wait to see what we can do against New Zealand on Wednesday ... except that I'm back to work tomorrow so will have to make do with catching the last few overs when I get home!!