"hi" < There, I've Said It ;-)

Hello all

Another newbie writes...

I live in the south east, have a boat on the east coast (one with a pointy stick and flappy things) and (very, very long story short) I'm considering transitioning - no not that kind of transitioning - to a stink pot on the Norfolk Broads. It won't happen overnight but it's something I'm toying with. For someone who has travelled the length and breadth of the country somehow the Norfolk Broads seems to have passed me by  - probably with the Broads being an inland waterway - but having only relatively recently visited and really liking what I've seen so far I'm looking into things further. 

From lurking on these very forums I've already discovered that wanting full standing headroom (6'3") on a Broads cruiser and being able to pass under the low bridges might be something of a problem. Being tall is a curse I tell you. A curse!

I shall be doing much reading...

• Like 4

Hello JackOfAllTrades,

Welcome to the forum.

You will be lucky to get any Broads style cruisers that can pass under most of the bridges (Potter Heigham being an exeption, only very low boats can get under) that do not have very low sections aboard.

I can see plenty of research required to account for your 6 foot 3 height, bed length may also be a problem being as some berths can be short in length.

Regards

Alan

Welcome to the forum JackOfAllTrades. Plenty of knowledgable folk on here should you need any advice/suggestions/warnings/ etc etc. Hope you find what you are looking for quickly and can get out and about on our beautiful Broads. :default_stinky:

I did exactly the same thing , when I got towards 60, as I found after many years of ditch crawling, I needed a change from getting up early and then finding the water did not come far enough up the creek, or finding the water did come in, and then not being able to get back in for another 10 hours!!!

I bought a stinkpot and indulge my love of sailing these days by hiring from Colin Buttifant at Swallowtail or one of the Hunters day boats just to remind myself that its a bit like riding a bike really; once you can do it the habit remains! Never really regretted it although the bank balance does not improve but what I did find with Broads sailing is, that its much more skilled than it looks and its never boring!

3 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hello JackOfAllTrades,

Welcome to the forum.

You will be lucky to get any Broads style cruisers that can pass under most of the bridges (Potter Heigham being an exeption, only very low boats can get under) that do not have very low sections aboard.

I can see plenty of research required to account for your 6 foot 3 height, bed length may also be a problem being as some berths can be short in length.

Regards

Alan

My boat has 6-4 standing headroom and passes under all bridges, Potter needs a bit of planning though.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome and kind words.

Grendel, I too have had scars like that although my hair tends to cover the scabs. Well, most of them :default_blink: As for raising the deck/cabin roof by three inches - well, never say never, but I'd only go down the route of GRP surgery if I really, really had to, after ruling out all other possibilities (and stooping ain't one of 'em :default_icon_bowdown: ).

I've considered another smaller sailing boat but having had an ocean-going yacht that easily sailed at low double digits (knots) and regularly saw mid teens and ran rings around most things I think it's probably time for something completely different. Also, us rag & stick merchants always tell ourselves that the wind is free - but keeping that stick up and those flappy things flapping can be eye-wateringly expensive. Amortise the costs of rigging, sails, etc, etc and pottering about the Broads burning 2 or 3 litres of diesel per hour seems positively cheap by comparison. At the end of the day as long as I can be on the water I'm happy.

brundallNavy, do you mind me asking what type of boat you have that has 6'4" headroom?

• Like 1

Welcome to the NBN Joat.

Do you know sommat? - I have never measured 'B.A's  internal headroom - Fancy that eh?  Must try and remember to do so - Unless I bank my head and forget of course :default_icon_rolleyes:

Having said that I reckon you would manage easily onboard 'B.A' and I can get her through PHB - water levels allowing - a few times a year.  A sister boat for 'B.A' is currently up for sale R644, 'Goodnight Irene'' a 40ft-er so plenty of boat there with room for guests. Tupperware hull with timber topsides, best of both worlds

Griff

On 31/05/2019 at 19:50, grendel said:

the boats I am thinking about are woodies, so it would just be a bit of carpentry.

Ah! I think wooden boats are lovely, as long as someone else looks after all the wood :12_slight_smile: 

On 01/06/2019 at 10:07, BroadAmbition said:

Welcome to the NBN Joat.

Do you know sommat? - I have never measured 'B.A's  internal headroom - Fancy that eh?  Must try and remember to do so - Unless I bank my head and forget of course :default_icon_rolleyes:

Having said that I reckon you would manage easily onboard 'B.A' and I can get her through PHB - water levels allowing - a few times a year.  A sister boat for 'B.A' is currently up for sale R644, 'Goodnight Irene'' a 40ft-er so plenty of boat there with room for guests. Tupperware hull with timber topsides, best of both worlds

Griff

Griff, thanks for the welcome and the pointer towards Goodnight Irene. I confess I have no idea what design of boat she is (a quick google hasn't helped) but the mention of timber topsides almost certainly means I'll never get acquainted with Irene! But if she's listed on a Broker's website (or privately) I'd be interested in having a nosey around the spec and pics.

39 minutes ago, JackOfAllTrades said:

Ah! I think wooden boats are lovely, as long as someone else looks after all the wood :12_slight_smile: 

thats why I hire a woody from Marthams, they fix the boat, I get to use it at least the beds have plenty of length (if you are going to buy a boat check the length of the beds, some are not great for 6 foot +

9 minutes ago, grendel said:

thats why I hire a woody from Marthams, they fix the boat, I get to use it at least the beds have plenty of length (if you are going to buy a boat check the length of the beds, some are not great for 6 foot +

Hiring woodies makes sense. Then hand them back when you're done knowing the things you spotted aren't on your jobs list but someone else's (or should be). Perfect!

Good point regarding length of beds. Being the 'wrong' side of 6 feet 2 inches I've had to dangle my feet over the end of a mattress many a time (no jokes please!)There should be a law against selling undersized beds. Just like there should be a law against low beams in olde worlde pubs. But that's another story  :67_head_bandage::69_zzz: