This Old Chestnut Rears It's Head Again

FairTmiddlin

Yarmouth Mercury

https://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/news/flood-risk-for-norfolk-broads-1-6081733?fbclid=IwAR0qsU05zIuSK3rAYGpTjezeJC25lHxD4v4Y0N6IvhDAEedf_P1C0dKi7So

Great photo's of the floods at Geldeston.

I remember that being flooded when I was a lad

And I'm catching Methuselah up.

I thought we were told recently that all this vulnerable habitat for rare species was at risk of drying out and growing over through lack of water? Now the same agency experts are telling us it is at long term risk of being destroyed by flooding.

Make your expert minds up, please. It's either one or the other.

• Like 3

All of these Experts/Scientists/Fearmongers. You choose which one you use. Seem to think we all have short term memory loss (well some of us do me included).

What happened to the ice age we were supposedly headed for. Why did they suddenly stop call it Global warming and swap it to Climate change?

Al Gore in his speech all those years ago fell for the Cause and Effect model, put about by a few of the bunch in the first line. Instead of listening to the many who said it was Effect and Cause.

The US and South Africa are stockpiling oil like it is going out of fashion Why? They have almost enough of their own for years to come.

Is there something they are not telling us. why all this push for electric cars, that nobody will be able to charge because nowhere can produce that much electricity and recabling a whole country, to take enough power would bankrupt them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Turnoar said:

One three letter word starts in t and ends in x!

Absolutely spot on.

Remember how dangerous, and i stress THEIR word "DANGEROUS" for the environment all the 4x4s were?, and how DANGEROUS to the environment all the diesel cars are (strange how they don`t mention lorries, busses and boats)?. So dangerous of course that vastly increased taxation made them much safer over night.

Lying corrupt thieving scummy b.....ds all of them.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, FairTmiddlin said:

What happened to the ice age we were supposedly headed for. Why did they suddenly stop call it Global warming and swap it to Climate change?

well when they started quoting global warming around I did some research, and right back then decided for myself that climate change was a better term, this is because if the worl warms, the ocean currents will change (this has happened in the past too) basically the system starts with the atlantic conveyor, this s a cold current from the north atlantic that runs along the bottom of the atlantic, and drives the rest of the worlds ocean currents. if this slows down, or stops, the world ocean currents will change, if this happens the gulf stream will slow or stop, this is the current that keeps the temperatures in this country at a nice balmy temperature, we are at the same latitude as moscow and canada, so if the current stops we will have far colder winters, so for the uk, global warming means we get colder, and its similar worldwide, some places will get warmer, others colder, so global climate change is a far better term.

most climate change models work on air currents and current climate patterns, but the majority of the models dont account for the ocean currents and changes pertaining to those, so in my belief the majority of predictions may be flawed.

there is also the point that looking back through history, that similar events have happened before, in fact ice ages have almost always been preceded by a short period of warming, and we are overdue for an ice age.

• Like 6

Didn't know salt water got up to Hickling, and at least the last two incidents of serious flooding have been caused by rainwater, admittedly at high tide.

My point is that this whole area is reclaimed land, which has to be drained by pumping. So I still can't see why it is claimed that some of it is now drying out. If someone can explain that I would find it most interesting.

Simply because, especially in the Ant Valley ,the chalk aquifer continues to be drained by farmers who are really very keen to grow potatoes and high value salad crops, in an area of the country which has insufficient rain to grow the damn things without irrigation. Who benefits from that ? The farmers methinks.

If that was NOT an issue, Ludham Village would be able to continue to draw drinking water from that aquifer, yet Anglian Water are going to spend millions for a new main from Norwich to that area as the abstraction licences are to be withdrawn. We are not talking about drained marshes as thankfully they are becoming fewer and fewer, but the "upland" farmland areas adjacent thereto.

IMHO, for whats that worth, is that farmers should generally grow stuff in the fields where the local rainfall can support that crop, and not have to rely on irrigation to the extent that is now seen - and if you do water then that should be supplied from your own reservoirs, and not the aquifer!  Because potatoes have fairly shallow roots, they respond readily to frequent irrigation in high summer, often when the east has little rain: this watering substantially benefits the yield and profit.

But who is to blame? By all means use flood water and/or drainage water to top up your reservoir but beyond that I cannot see anyone to blame other than the rain gods!!!

• Like 1

Now there, I am right with you! I have always blamed the farmers for all this deep dyke drainage which was suddenly "necessary"  on the lower reaches of the Bure and Waveney, which did away with the washlands (which absorbed the brackish water flooding) and resulted in millions being spent on flood prevention measures in towns such as Reedham and St Olaves.

So I wonder which is better? Do we allow the farmers to continue growing unsuitable crops on land unable to sustain them, or do we sit back and allow them to sell their agricultural land at enormous profit, to developers who will now create one enormous housing estate all the way between Norwich, Wroxham and Brundall?

With all that lot watering their lawns, I wonder what that will do to the aquifer?

create one enormous housing estate all the way between Norwich, Wroxham and Brundall?

Then of course one day there is the risk of a perfect storm, that is to say a Spring very high tide / storm surge, following an extremely heavy wet month and a strong N.Easterly for a week. Low pressure for a week and we have flooding all over the parish.  But the experts will say we had no way of seeing that coming - I just told em!

Griff

• Like 1

20 hours ago, marshman said:

, often when the east has little rain: this watering substantially benefits the yield and profit.

Here`s a great idea, why don`t i have a holiday on the Broads every week for the rest of my life, i GARUNTEE it will rain :default_laugh:.  Whenever we go on holiday, no matter where it is, it sodding rains on at least one day. I`ve often said to people, Karen and i could have a weeks holiday in the Sahara, or Atacama deserts, and it WILL rain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Really interesting seeing the negative feedback on Norwich city councils diesel /petrol free Lord Mayors procession.... but its perfectly ok for 60s type 37 engines to spew pollution in Norwich station for the past year or more whilst unableio take forever to supply adequate rolling stock let alone new and hopefully cleaner rolling stock... perhaps ncc ought to set a date for a diesel free Norwich. They may have to move the train station to comply!