Huawei Phones

Hi all,

Karen and i bought a couple of Huawei  Y6 phones about 2 months ago. Yes they are good phones, BUT,  i`ve just tried to download some photo`s i took while we were on holiday, and of the progress of my Triumph Daytona 1000 restoration. The problem is, over the easter break, i took some pics with it (of the bike), and successfully downloaded them. Today, i tried to download some more, but it no longer works.  The phone has`nt changed, but our laptop has been through a couple of auto updates. We all heard the news about microsoft (or whoever it is) blocking things to do with Huawei, and i`m assuming this must have happened already.  Does anybody else on the forum use these phones, and if so, have you had any difficulty downloading photos, or any other programmes etc in the last few weeks or so.

The most annoying thing is we went into the O2 shop with the intention of buying a couple of Samsung phones, but allowed ourselves to be talked out of it and buy these things because they were "a much better phone, and cheaper".

People often laugh at me when i complain about modern technology, but this a classic example of why.

Sometimes it`s good to be a luddite.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

The most annoying thing is we went into the O2 shop with the intention of buying a couple of Samsung phones, but allowed ourselves to be talked out of it

You had a very lucky escape, Samsung phones are the communication devices of beelzebub incarnate. I wouldn't touch one with a disinfected bargepole. I too use a Huawei, phone and tablet and have just synced the photos from last weeks holiday to my W10 laptop by bluetooth OK. 

• Like 1

Well, it seems all sorted now, we had to download something or other, and it worked, though it was a bit long winded. I`l take a couple of pictures again to test it to see if connects automatically like it did before. If it does, fine, but if we have to do the same all over again, i`l use my old microsoft phone which was always brilliant for downloading photo`s, just plug it in, click on import and bingo, job done.

The amount of bloatware Samsung use is horrendous, but that's not unlike most android phone manufacturers. The biggest issue is the terrible battery life and reliability. I was unfortunate enough to choose a Galaxy S6 just as they released the S7 to the market The deal was very good, to get rid of old stock I guess. After about ten weeks I noticed that the battery life was starting to reduce to a point where when fully charged in the morning, even not used the battery would be flat by the end of the same day. I took it back to the shop it came from who advised it was a problem with the battery charging software which they updated and sent me on my way. Next day after being fully charged overnight it died at 4pm. I had made one call. I went back to the shop who said they would have to send it to a Samsung service centre. Three days later I had an email from Samsung to say they had received my phone at their service centre but couldn't find anything wrong with it. I called and explained the issue and they said it was due to me using an "unauthorised" charger and to repair the phone would cost £270. I disputed this as it had only ever been charged with the mains charger supplied, a samsung branded car charger bought at the time I got the phone and a wireless charger bought from the Samsung shop about a week afterward. They called me again two days later to say that they had agreed to fix the phone "as a gesture of goodwill". About ten days later the phone arrived back to me in the post. I plugged it in and immediately noticed that it was not "fast charging", the phone supposedly had adaptive charging meaning it could charge at different speeds depending on battery temperature, available current etc. I left it on charge overnight, and by the end of the next day there was about ten percent charge left. This was about the time I changed jobs and needed to use my phone more. I found that if not constantly charging the phone would die after only a couple of hours use, and if using an app such as sat nav then even plugged in the battery life was still dropping. I contacted Samsung again and asked them to replace the phone, as it was still only four months old and they had failed to fix the problem. They refused. They advised me to send it back to their service centre who would diagnose it to find out what was wrong. I'd heard nothing atfer a week so checked the delivery receipt, the phone arrived the day after I sent it. I called them again and they advised they were "testing" the phone. Another week later they called to advise that the battery had to be replaced but as the damage was due to using a non approved charger ...... here we go again. This time they would not budge. I researched the issue on the internet, and despite the phone being less than six months on the market there were pages and pages of google results with the same issue. I emailed Samsung's head office with screen dumps insisting that they fix and return my phone. They replied four days later to advise they had authorised the replacement of the battery "as a gesture of goodwill". Another week passed before my phone arrived back. As soon as I received it I plugged it in, still no fast charging, so I charged it to 100% and this time it seemd to be working properly. The charge lasted all weekend with occasional use for calls and web browsing. Still it would not fast charge, in fact when plugged in to the AC charger I only got slow charge, and a message "connect an authentic Samsung charger for faster charging". It was an authentic charger! On the wireless or car charger i got standard charging. I put up with it until only a month later stand by time started to drop again. This time I insisted they either replace it or I would tie it to a brick and chuck it through their window. I was really starting to lose my rag. Samsung agreed to replace it, still insisting the problems were my fault, but did eventually agree to replace it with a refurbished phone. I mailed it to them again, ten days later a replacementarrived in the post, except it wasn't a replacement, it was my same phone in a plain brown box. How didI know they asked. The postcode on the back in ultra violet security marker is a bit of a give away. 

I advised the service centre I would take the matter up with Samsung's head office and started emailing and calling them daily, as well as posting my experience on their facebook page. Eventually they replaied to my email advising they would replace my phone "as a gesture ... blah blah blah." Two days later a courier delivered a brand new S7. In truth the S7 was very little different to the S6, same size, same Amoled display, same processor, same ram and most importantly same Lithium battery. It worked OK for about three weeks, then stopped connecting to my laptop to download photos. About a week later it stopped fast charging. It's now ten months since I first had the S6 and my contract expired after twelve. I thought I'd stick it out until then and go back to the Sony's I'd always had before. My plan nearly worked. A week before my contract expired driving up the M42 with the phone on the passenger seat it suddenly flashed a message "fast charging disabled due to battery temperature" or words to that effect (it wasn't fast charging anyway). About ten minutes later another message on  screen, "battery temperature too high, unable to charge". As I reached to unplug the charging cord it exploded, a big flare from inside the phone, acrid smoke leaking out of the case and a big scorch mark all over the seat. 

Check the internet and you'll find a whole host of simlar accounts of people who had S6 and S7's with battery life problems or batteries explode or catch fire, not to mention the Note 7 which was withdrawn after only a couple of months on sale due to "irresolvable battery safety issues". 

Sorry, but Samsung phones are abysmal, and their customer service ethos is even worse. They were fully aware that the batteries in these phones were faulty, potentially dangerous yet denied and denied and denied it. I'm usually a live and let live kind of character but Samsung should not be in business. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

either of mine both will go 24 or 36hrs between charges.

even so that's dreadful by modern standards. I use my Huawei lots, mostly for playing audio books, regular text messaging, maybe half a dozen calls a day and it's never below 80% at the end of the day. We spent last week in Devon and it was only charged twice all week despite being my camera, music system, sudio book player, alarm clock ..... 

Samsung for me, although I avoided the S6/7 disasters.

Did try a weewee once and that's what I thought of it.

Now have a Galaxy note 8 edge great battery life at home, on the boat dire (02).

I do not trust any photos to the cloud suppliers. 

I do not trust Cloud for anything!!!!!!

My phone has 128gig memory that lasts until I can down load to dvd/sd card, I do both.

I did have a Microsoft phone once for a month, I think, then sold it to my worst enemy (cheaply), revenge is sweet!

First phone I had the deal was 10p peak, 2 p off peak, text 2p, the internet had not been dreamt of.

paul

52 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Don't forget mine are old s5 and 7 models, the works phone handles sat nav all day and many calls and messages.

I do hear you but hasn't every manufacturer released a bum model at some point whether it be a phone, a laptop a car ....

No, Sony have never realeased a bad phone, and it will be Sony in future for me, not that my "weewee" is bad, it's just not as good as a Sony. Had Samsung just owned up and said from the get go that the batteries were faulty (not just the batteries, the USB controller was also dud, hence the lack of adaptive charging and data connection) then it would have been better. But instead they gave constant denials, trying to put the blame on the user when they knew what the fault was all along. They only admitted it when the US government got involved with the Note 7 fiasco. 

23 minutes ago, ZimbiIV said:

I do not trust any photos to the cloud suppliers. 

I do not trust Cloud for anything!!!!!!

totally agree

24 minutes ago, ZimbiIV said:

I did have a Microsoft phone once for a month, I think, then sold it to my worst enemy (cheaply), revenge is sweet!

Elaine had one for years, the 520 I think and it wasvery reliable, but the lack of apps on the windows platform would not have suited me. She now has a Sony and it's been faultless.

25 minutes ago, ZimbiIV said:

First phone I had the deal was 10p peak, 2 p off peak, text 2p, the internet had not been dreamt of.

I can't remember the cost of my first mobile phone as it was supplied by the company I worked for but it came in two parts, one was the handset and the other the battery. You could unplug it from the battery but it would only work for about ten minutes if you did. 

• Like 1

We've just had another company take us over and they gave us Sammy S6 phones locked down to only use apps they allow, no alarm no calendar etc. No issue with win 10 but guys have said company laptops won't get the pics so they copy the pics to onedrive and get them that way in seconds. We need apps to help us on site but screwed over.

S6 vattery i'm getting 2 days easy and mines non stop and skype calls.

My phones have been Sony for years and no issues. XZ3 and love it.

at my company they have disabled the usb for data transfer, so we use something called owncloud - this is hosted on the company servers, and automatically does a virus scan on any files uploaded. we then log on on our company PC to download the files onto the company network. this also means I can transfer files from my home pc by logging in from that. this system works very well and keeps our company network secure. if I need to transfer photos to my work PC this is what I use. (or just email them)

I have a Huawei Honor phone and it is absolutely brilliant.      I certainly could not have afforded to pay £900 for a phone and this was reasonably priced and it is a lovely piece of kit.  The camera on it is spot on.     Does everything that these expensive phones do.   Shame it does not tackle the ironing though.

• Haha 1

Hi all,

Many thanks for all the replies and reviews. Don`t get me wrong, the Huawei is a great phone with long battery life. I`ve had 4 days without charging, and usually 3 days using it as a camera, though i don`t use it a lot. We only bought them because our old Microsoft phones would`nt connect to google anymore, a fact that the staff in the O2 shop said was because they were old technology, and would`nt be usable after a while. Well, i can still get on the internet with it, but by using "internet explorer" (which is crap), and the phone still works, as  a phone, and it can still take pics.  The Huawei is different to use compared to the Microsoft one, but i believe it`s better at other things, things i know nothing about.  They both cost less than £100, so maybe i`m expecting too much of it to be an all singing all dancing phone.