Broads Swim 2019 23rd June On River Waveney

Dear All

The Broads Swim 2019 is scheduled to run along the River Waveney on Sunday 23 June 2019 from Waveney River Centre in Burgh St Peter to Beccles Quay.  The swim will take place from 9.00am to 4.00pm and will be accompanied by safety RIB’s and kayaks along the entire route.  There will be food and rest stops at North Cove, Worlingham and Aldeby Hall.

Kind Regards

Laura Milner

Administrative Officer Operations

Broads Authority

Tel: 01603 756035

Broads Authority, Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road. Norwich NR1 1RY
01603 610734

1 minute ago, ranworthbreeze said:

As per last year I will advise all our syndicate owners to avoid the area during this swim day. 

IMHO swimmers and boats do not want to be in the same location.

Regards

Alan

Let them swim in Breydon, that`s pretty long and straight :default_gbxhmm:

• Haha 1

I still don't quite understand how this group are able to pitch up on BA moorings (paid for by Toll Payers) and set up refreshments and what have you taking up how much mooring space? 

If the BA were receiving an appropriate events fee of some description I think it would seem fairer all round.  (I don't actually know they are not but from last years discussion it didn't appear they did). 

I still think it shouldn’t have been given the go ahead at all but if Beccles & the WRC benefit from it in trade then that cant be bad. 

Boats would do well to avoid but that shouldn't be the case.  Theres always the possibility that any gain in trade could actually be a loss due to boat traffic avoiding the areas. 

But what do I know!!

• Like 1

All this negativity against this once a year swim is really winding me up, just found what i said about this last year, if you havn't seen it don't knock it.

Posted July 4, 2018

"Ok my View, i left Beccles just as the swimmers started arriving, no holdups i was in no rush to get anywhere so took it very steady watching the swimmers swimming the last 2 and 1/2  miles into Beccles well organized with plenty of Marshall boats and we could have been an extra pair eyes too if anyone got into difficulties. the last boat following said they were the last swimmers , so i could continue without worrying i may see any stragglers  . yes it was well organized , not as many swimmers as planned probably  but nice to see."

• Like 5

The thing that winds me up is the Broads Authority dipping into Toll Payers pockets each time they are short yet other groups can come along and expect to use paid for facilities for free potentially profiting from it and those of us who see it that way are all being negative for not welcoming it with open arms!!

It might only be 1 day a year at the moment! 

• Sad 1

Well at least everyone has well rehearsed arguments having worn them all out with last years predictions of mayhem and impending disaster - so what happened then??

Nothing! It made little of no impact at all if I remember!

I welcome ALL visitors to the Broads to enjoy themselves and appreciate this area which is for all, and not just a privileged few - welcome!!

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, batrabill said:

Lordy, here we go again. It’s everyone’a river. Not just yours. 

It isn’t actually the river that I am concerned about, its the moorings. 

Let us just imagine at North Cove there are a few small boats moored up, a fisherman sets up and then the swimmers have their refreshments area.  A hire or private cruiser comes along having planned to moor up but cant, who moves? 

Im not against anyone having a hobby and I don't think for one moment its my river either. 

I wont be out so it wont affect me but I am perfectly entitled to think it might be just a teeny tiny bit rich to use facilities in this way meaning those who they are designed for (and contribute) might have to move out of the way. 

• Sad 1

certainly we were worried at the thought of the hundreds of swimmers predicted, but since only a fraction of those numbers actually took part, it went off a lot better than we anticipated. I wish them the same success this year, and hope the numbers dont grow to a scale where they could become a navigation hazard.

• Like 5

Please don`t get me wrong folks, i`m not knocking it, i just wondered how it would affect navigation etc. As for my views on it, fine, providing they don`t become a blockage or hindrance, plus, if it`s being done for charity, that`s great. I do take peoples comments about stopping points at North Cove etc, as these are purpose built moorings, and if they`re blocked by resting swimmers and support staff etc, that surely cannot  be right.  As for Griffs  comments about "are the BA being payed a fee for doing so", if they are, however much they are being payed, if a substantial amount, it MUST be put back into the continued maintainance of said moorings, instead of possibly some unscrupulous back pocket.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Last year the thread on this subject ran to 34 pages.

So unless anyone has something NEW to say. . . . . 

Thank you Vaughan we all have our own opinions on this event. The initial post was one of information and we post all of the Broads Authorities Notices when received, it was meant to inform crews that there would be people in the water and not to start yet another debate into the right & wrongs of the event.

Regards

Alan

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We encountered this last year when we were coming back from the Geldeston / Beccles and there was no problem at all

We cruised at a reasonable pace, slow down and held station a few times, were directed by friendly appreciative stewards in ribs and canoes and were thanked by all of them as we passed

The journey took about 10 mins longer than it would have done normally, which was obviously very distressing as we were only on holiday for a week!    :default_biggrin:

It was also a different experience from navigating sailing boats and some people weaving all over the place!

So don't worry!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Poppy, just gently apply the brake and let the pedestrian swimmer across, it will be a pelican crossing rather than a zebra or toucan crossing because pelicans can swim.

either that or frantically wave your arms saying 'get out of the way no brakes' as you sail across them.

• Haha 2