Broads Swim 2019 23rd June On River Waveney

What you do NOT have to offer them however, is vastly extortionate severance payments and pensions that the average person can only dream of!! I know of a number of ex public sector employees who quite literally cannot spend their pensions. No wonder many are now retiring early whereas the vast majority of the employees outside of the public sector are actually having to look to work longer! A bizarre waste of public sector resources!!

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I still believe(in spite of Martins best efforts to convince me otherwise) that to get good people into the top management positions of the public sector, competitive rates of pay have to be offered,  why else would people apply to get such a position if they could earn more in the private sector.

A competitive rate, but competitive with what? An awful lot of top earners in the public sector would wither and die in the private sector and probably do so PDQ.  I think that that is especially true in the 'non job' world. Can't think of any examples just at the moment, at least not locally . . . . . . . . . . . . :default_rolleyes:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, marshman said:

What you do NOT have to offer them however, is vastly extortionate severance payments and pensions that the average person can only dream of!! I know of a number of ex public sector employees who quite literally cannot spend their pensions. No wonder many are now retiring early whereas the vast majority of the employees outside of the public sector are actually having to look to work longer! A bizarre waste of public sector resources!!

Is it not all part of the package. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, marshman said:

Amen to that!! I had an uncle in such a position, they pensioned him off with a knighthood and a kings ransom for managing a project that was finally dumped because it went so far over budget. Mind you, that was the Wilson government. In the meantime my revered uncle bought an island at Runnymede on the Thames. He always considered the level of his remuneration to be an embarrassment, not that he was ungrateful!

If it is part of the package, that is part of the problem! Pensions have long since been absent from private sector calculations, by and large you contribute your own, and many big private sector companies pay statutory severance, literally!

The difference between the public & private sector is private sector employees tend to have to perform for their money - or they get the axe. 

We can get stuck with people in the public sector for life who maybe don't perform or cost to much as if they are owed a job for life and the remainder of their existence paid for in luxury pensions from the public pocket. 

On a plate or what! 

Now do the BA perform or are they a performance........

• 6 months later...

From FB

Waveney River Swim Announcement

Firstly apologies for this taking longer than I thought it would about the Waveney River Swim 2020. Unfortunately this is not the announcement I had planned.

Due to a change in personal circumstances as well as a review of the event having an outcome of it not being financially viable, the Waveney River Swim won't be running this year.  I'm sure you can appreciate that this decision has been made with a very heavy heart and not lightly.

On a positive note, it's been an amazing experience and there are countless people that have provided support to allow the last 2 events to run. Those people know who they are and I will always be eternally grateful.

And a huge thank you to all of the swimmers, it would never have run without you guys. I hope this event has gone some way to increasing the popularity of open water swimming especially in Norfolk and Suffolk.

Regards,
Mel