Helm Seat

smitch6

I have a storage unit that has a foam cushion on top which is attached to a plywood base which is the helm seat 

i need to keep the unit but want to make a really comfy seat for the top

It has normal foam at the minute but i find after an hour or so driving they get really uncomfortable

anyone got any ideas how to make it more comfy pls?

Hi Smitch6

A mate of mine has just upgraded his helm seat on his boat, it also is fixed on top of a storage unit. After a lot of thought and for very little cost he was able to pick up a very good condition 2nd hand front seat from a car. (Just remember what side you would like the adjustment on), so what he has now is a fully adjustable seat back, forth, recline and lumber support. It’s even part leather. He went for one from a smaller car as needed a smaller seat owing to space. It can be easily removed too if needed. 

I must say it looks very good and is darn comfy. Could be an idea? 

Cheers 

Paul 

• Like 1

Foam alone is a science.

Basically if the foam stays down when you press on it then it's dead and will need replacing as it will only get worse. 

https://www.efoam.co.uk/ - do good foam cut to size (And they are very good at cutting to size)

Use Medium foam as the base but for the last inch at the top go for a softer foam or a memory foam (so if the cushion is 4inches thick, do 3 inch think medium, then 1inch thick softer) it will be super comfortable then.  Order 1cm larger than the cushion type to get a professional finish plumped finish.

Obviously you can find a cushion to fit but you may find most cheap cushions are just that and the foam isn't really the best standard.. as everything you get what you pay for.

(P,s a little off topic, I've finally put in a new helm seat into Orca which my past work did for me one day.. it's hand stitched in a 3d Bentley pattern (similar technique as used in Bentley and other such cars).. it took the seamstress 2 day to do .. but looks amazing :) ) 

Good luck. 

seat1.jpg

seat2.jpg

seat3.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, smitch6 said:

it's just a piece of ply, i have re-done the box so it's basically an open top box 

and the seat makes the lid and it just sits on top with a couple of 1" battens to stop it moving

If it's just stapled on wood then it's super easy to remove the staples, change the foam and then restaple on..:) 

oh i know it's easy, i've made all my sides, and all the other cushions on the last 3 boats i've restored, but always find the helm seat uncomfortable hard

I usually grab a 2nd hand memory foam mattress and cut that up for the internal seats that convert into a bed, really cheap usually about £20-30 for a decent 2nd hand mattress