D-day 75th

Some very moving coverage on the tv. I’m sure that many of us have or had family who fought in World War II. My Dad wasn’t at Normandy but was in the Royal Marine Commandos. Sadly he died while I was still a child so I never got to talk to him as an adult to an adult. But now more than ever I am proud of what he did and remember him on all these kind of occasions. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Yes indeed,my father wanted to join up,but was a miner.Therefore he had to serve in the mines.He joined the RAF after the war sadly he died when I was a child.My grandfather served in the RHA during WW1.Both wars touched most of us in one way or another.The TV coverage very moving and respectful. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

Some very moving coverage on the tv. I’m sure that many of us have or had family who fought in World War II. My Dad wasn’t at Normandy but was in the Royal Marine Commandos. Sadly he died while I was still a child so I never got to talk to him as an adult to an adult. But now more than ever I am proud of what he did and remember him on all these kind of occasions. 

Hello SwanR,

It is often that men who served in the first & second world wars who indeed were in action rarely speak of their time or involvement. Tan's uncle Neil and all his brothers were in the forces and he would never speak of his time over there. Friends have said the same with their loved ones.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have been somewhat disappointed, considering that over the past five or so years we have been living through the 75th anniversary of the events of World War II that generally very little has been made of it. I am pleased an effort is being made for D Day at least. I was born twenty or so years after the end of the war and grew up in an era when the memory of it was still very fresh for many people, although by that time much of the inevitable anymosity had faded, at least until we joined the common market and boat loads of Volkswagens started to arrive on our shores. Buying one, for a while at least was seen as akin to treason. Many on this forum predate me, one or two might even have direct memories of wartime. 

We use phrases like "never forget" and "we shall remember them" and to many of us that is so true, however as a society I fear that brave generation of which many gave up their lives is, slowly, and inexorably slipping from our social conscience. The 75th anniversary was a chance to reverse at at least delay that process which I think has been missed.

I for one shall not forget that the freedom I enjoy today was bought for me by the lives and freedoms of people I shall never know.

• Like 3

my parents were brought up during the war, and can remember rationing and being sent away from the kent coast where they were both born, my mother can remember being strafed by german planes whilst walking to school, and my fathers school was bombed while he was in class, older acquaintances and grandparents never did talk about what happened during the war, there are many stories that could be told that never will be, I think this is probably the reason that more hasnt been made of the events - because those who were there dont want to remember or talk about what happened and what they saw.

My father has written down some of his memories from that era, but we see them through the eyes of the child he was, memories of his mother (my Gran) having to go to the school and identify the bodies of children, being asked if a body was her son because he was wearing glasses, to respond that her son had a different colour jumper, then only later finding he had survived and been evacuated the length of the town in the smugglers tunnels under Deal.

These were not nice times, and I feel a lot of the survivors dont want to remember, maybe in guilt that they survived when others close to them didnt.

Yes we should remember, we should be thankful, but we shouldnt force those survivors to relive any of their thoughts and experiences, we should learn from their sacrifices never have to repeat the events of such conflict, and that a peaceful solution must always be better.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I know I'm a 'youngster' so to speak but so grateful for the freedom we have today because of the brave men and women who fought for that freedom

I've just watched some of the coverage of todays events on the news, it brought a lump to my throat, what the Veterans must have witnessed and been through doesn't bear thinking about, bless all their hearts

Grace

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Gracie said:

I know I'm a 'youngster' so to speak but so grateful for the freedom we have today because of the brave men and women who fought for that freedom

I've just watched some of the coverage of todays events on the news, it brought a lump to my throat, what the Veterans must have witnessed and been through doesn't bear thinking about, bless all their hearts

Grace

Hi Gracie, I have not seen any of the news coverage but I have been told that the opening sequences of Saving Private Ryan are not far off of the mark for the 4000 plus soldiers that died on the beaches.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 1