Hi

Hey im a Norfolk Broad Virgin, heard so many great stories and also reading some of the experiences on here too, im looking forward to coming to the broads next year, boat is going to be booked soon.  Dont panic i have experience of boating as i used to drive one of the original dunkirk ships as my auntys family has kept it in the family through the years.

• Like 6

Welcome Dragonslayer,

Back in the late 70s - early 80s, we knew of a Dunkirk Little Ship called "Wendy Ken" which was moored at Allington Lock on the River Medway  near Maidstone in Kent. I think at the time she was owned by a guy called Bert Harper.  Have you heard of her, and do you know whether she`s still going?.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Welcome Dragonslayer,

Back in the late 70s - early 80s, we knew of a Dunkirk Little Ship called "Wendy Ken" which was moored at Allington Lock on the River Medway  near Maidstone in Kent. I think at the time she was owned by a guy called Bert Harper.  Have you heard of her, and do you know whether she`s still going?.

Hey, i have heard of her, though ive not been in the loop for a few years but i remember her being mentioned for the queens diamond jubilee, in the list my aunties brother had for attendance.  Though will find out if she's still going.

2 hours ago, Ray said:

Welcome aboard!

Be interested to hear more about the Dunkirk ship and it's history.

The name of the splendid little ship was called "minnehaha" though the wife didnt approce the name so she became Thamesa, last time i heard she was having a lot if work done, hopefully should be floating for henley boat rallying 

2 hours ago, grendel said:

:default_welcome:

Thank you 😊

• Like 2

19 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Welcome to our friendly corner of the web , and I’m sure I speak for many others when I ask please could you post some pics of your family’s Dunkirk veteran 

IMG_5554.preview.jpeg

photo 2.preview.jpeg

20190607_154210.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Welcome Dragonslayer,

I live near Allington Lock and walk my dog along there quite often

There was a boat near the lock that had Dunkirk history all over it but cant remember if it was Wendy Ken

I'll try and pop down over the weekend and have a look, and get piccy

I had a little walk down to Allington Lock yesterday the Dunkirk boat is called Dowager, she may have had a name change, or there may be another moored in the marina that I couldn't see

Pictures below plus a couple of The Medway from a bridge between Allington and Maidstone, it is a pretty river that reminds me a bit of the journey between Wroxham and Coltishall, unfortunately there aren't many pubs with river frontage!

002.JPG

003.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tim said:

I had a little walk down to Allington Lock yesterday the Dunkirk boat is called Dowager, she may have had a name change, or there may be another moored in the marina that I couldn't see

Pictures below plus a couple of The Medway from a bridge between Allington and Maidstone, it is a pretty river that reminds me a bit of the journey between Wroxham and Coltishall, unfortunately there aren't many pubs with river frontage!

002.JPG

003.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

Hi Tim, i`m not sure if this will load up properly, but i downloaded the pic from Google search, and it`s her.wendy Ken.html

• 1 year later...
On 06/06/2019 at 21:49, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Welcome Dragonslayer,

I remember Wendy Ken (the names of Berts children) very well and yes she was owned by Bert Harper (a family friend) who owned Silverdale Motor Showrooms in Tunbridge Wells. There is information about her through the Dunkirk Little Ships web site. She has been renamed as Lady Slyvia as a nod to her original name Slyvia and I believe is being restored on the River Trent.

On 10/06/2019 at 22:42, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Hi Tim, i`m not sure if this will load up properly, but i downloaded the pic from Google search, and it`s her.wendy Ken.html

Dowager is not Wendy Ken I'm afraid and I know that for certain. My parents had a boat on the Medway moored next to Wendy Ken and Bert Harper, the owner of Wendy Ken was a family friend. That was back in the early 1970's and Dowager was also on the river at that time too.