The Summer Bling Holiday with Blingette and Mercs 2010

Posted while we have wifi connection, pictures will follow when we are home!!

Sunday 25th July

We got to the boat quite early for us Sunday morning about 9.30am. I had pre-loaded the bottled consumables – shampoo, olive oil, fairy liquid, etc, etc and clothes and things on Friday, so there was just the fresh food and essential ‘ice’ to sort and tea to be made before we left to catch that blasted bridge opening….

We passed HappyjaxII at Somerleyton moorings and spotted RobDorling in his new pride and joy just after the bridge. No marsh harriers; the first time we have done this route without seeing them. We had arranged to call into OBYS prior to exiting through Mutford Lock as we needed to call in to Jeckells to buy some chains to secure the dinghy as one of the davits has decided to malfunction, only to find Jeckells closed due to a funeral… So, LB put his boy scout cap on and secured it with loads of ropes which made us look more like the Clampitts than the Blings :o !! Col and Connor and some friends of theirs arrived on their dinghies and Connor and Lydia went off to the park, Lydia with strict instructions that she only had 15 mins before we needed to get to the lock. 30 mins later (a ploy that usually works in making sure she is back when we need her to be) Mutford call to say they are ready for us and no Lydia, so while Adam explains we have to find said daughter :oops: , I go looking for her!! We have an audience through the lock, aka Col, Connor and friends, so no pressure…. :?:naughty: !! First time through the rail bridge without it needing to lift and still having about 5’ above us.

Going down Lake Lothing, we hear a communication on Ch12 from a yacht which has grounded by Asda and two ribs come to its assistance to pull it off. We moor in RNSYC for the evening and get used as a fender by the boat next door coming into moor and then doesn’t even have the decency to apologise :evil: . A regular occurrence from what we heard from 6 or 7 people, so if going in there, do not take berth 4 on the inner pontoon. We made a complaint, however, we felt they seemed a little put-out that we had the audacity to complain about one of their berthholders. Shame….. the man is a liability :roll: . LB changed the oil on the engines and checked everything was shipshape and then cooked burgers on the Cobb and we watched a DVD with Lydia, before getting the computer out and checking the tides and conditions for our trip to Southwold tomorrow.

More tomorrow...

Tuesday 27th July

Our wedding anniversary and I am served breakfast in bed prepared by Lydia, grapefruit and tea :grin: . We finally get our act together and give the boat a good clean inside. Lydia has plans for today which all revolve around her sailing us around in the rib. Top of the list is to take the rib up the channel, moor it and get fish and chips for lunch. So, we all get our life jackets on, lock the boat, turn towards the dinghy and it starts spitting. So, I say, forget it, I’m not going, go without me, I’m not getting wet. So off they go and the rain stops. 10 minutes later they are back, and LB says JFDI, get your lifejacket and come one, so I do……2 mins later the heavens open, LB says it’s a shower, it’s brighter ahead and keeps going, 30 seconds later, the clouds give us everything they have got and we are drenched. I lose my patience with the pair of them and ask them how they think they can eat Fish and Chips wet through and turn round now (my JFDI). It is the first time in my life, I have soaked through to my underwear, I could feel the rain just running down my back and pooling around my bum :o:o . We provided entertainment to everyone on the quay wisely sheltering under anything they could find and it was so funny, we just laughed and laughed :lol::lol: . When we finally got back on the boat, the carpets were wet through and we had shed loads of wet towels and clothes and no way of getting them dry. Wish we hadn’t cleaned!!! Monopoly followed until the weather got better!! Another DVD finished the evening off for Lydia and passage planning for Ipswich tomorrow’ another first for us and completely solo which is quite frightening, particularly thinking about navigating the necessary channel between sandbanks to line up for the Felixstowe shipping line which I think is the busiest commercial port in the UK….. Sleep…….nightmares…….!! :Stinky:River Police :pirate

Sounds like you are having fun, did you get the outboard working then?

Ipswich is a piece of cake but if you are worried why not avoid the shallows, they are full of pots anyway, cut the corner of the Cork anchorage and then head down to the edge of the shipping channel and follow that just outside till you get to the crossing point. the ships are only moving slowly and they are big enough to see, it's the pilot boats you need to watch out for :o

Have fun

Sounds like you are having fun, did you get the outboard working then?

No, that is in outboard hospital, aka someone who knows them inside out that LB knows. We have a borrowed one which doesn't quite cut the mustard but does the job.

Ipswich is a piece of cake but if you are worried why not avoid the shallows, they are full of pots anyway, cut the corner of the Cork anchorage and then head down to the edge of the shipping channel and follow that just outside till you get to the crossing point. the ships are only moving slowly and they are big enough to see, it's the pilot boats you need to watch out for :o

Ian, any further out and we could have waved to David and Perry in Belgium. :lol:

Ian, any further out and we could have waved to David and Perry in Belgium. :lol:

No need to be that far out guys, Woodbridge Haven bouy to recommended yacht track will avoid shoals and the contour line with the pots, funy, we thought we saw you on the horizon, have a great time. This weekend is the Harwich sea festival, if you're interested you can get the foot ferry from Shotley marina to Hafpenny pier. Shotley beer festival is next weekend too. :wave

Wednesday 28th July

We were up early yet again, as we have been everyday, which I know will shock those that know us!! And, a beautiful calm morning. Looking at the latest weather predictions, it would seem to make sense to leave earlier than we had anticipated from the plan we had made last night in order to take advantage of the blue sky and little wind and we were right, the conditions were perfect. A following sea and wind and calm, not too calm to make it boring but comfortable. However, calamity or carelessness, or hastiness struck before leaving Southwold, having untied the bow and stern lines, LB went to nose out only for us to find we had the other stern line on and we promptly nudged the Broom lying to our astern. Oh S**t. The chap was very gentlemanly and we informed Pete, the Harbour Master to pass on our details should they need to make a claim. It looked like just the rubbing strake, so we will wait and see :oops::oops: .

Our Sat Nag thingy is next to useless, so as usual we used the compass only to find LB had got his points wrong, so we navigated from the map, noticeable landmarks and buoys and did very well, phew… :shocked finding ourselves lined up perfectly between the right buoys for yachts to cross the deep water channel for ships as we approached Harwich. We think a warning must have gone out that we were on our way as there was no movement of big ships in the river at all ;) !!

I have to say, only having seen the Orwell estuary from the Orwell bridge and the road to Shotley, seeing it from the sea, this is a very pretty stretch of water and we really enjoyed our passage up to Ipswich. As we came through the lock into the wet dock at Ipswich, a seal bobbed up in front of us. We moored in Neptune Marina which has the benefit of being on the quayside of Ipswich waterfront. The waterfront is very cosmopolitan with lots of pubs, cafes, little shops, restaurants and looks lovely all lit up in the evening. Ice creams first, then a quick stop at a Tesco express, 2 mins away then back on the dinghy to nosey around the waterfront. We had a lovely dinner at the Bistro, which was absolutely packed and turning people away, good job we had booked. As I write this Lydia is fast asleep and LB is watching his portion of blood and guts having been subjected to girlie films so far :naughty: !!!

One thing we are a little concerned about is the amount of fuel we seem to have used. We put £170 in RNSYC at £1.05 a litre and we seem to have used what we have put in, which seems a bit heavy. Any suggestions???

Tomorrow, is a little undecided although it definitely involves a morning trip to the city centre as Lydia needs more reading material, having already read the two books she brought with her. We shall see….

One thing we are a little concerned about is the amount of fuel we seem to have used. We put £170 in RNSYC at £1.05 a litre and we seem to have used what we have put in, which seems a bit heavy. Any suggestions???

Nice little company called Oyster in Ipswich, they build boats with lots of "Bling" and far better fuel consumption than that, especially once you get the rags out on the sticks. Probably a bit slow for LB though. :lol::lol:

:Sailing Martin :Sailing

Sounds fun - where have you made it too... Ipswich... really good moorings there and the last anchor is a great place too... People are often worried about ips/felixstowe/harwich becuase it is busy, but it is like crossing a country lane rather than a motorway and in good vis isnt a problem.

Ref fuel, actually I have always find I use more fuel on trips such as yours purely because I never stick to my 'best economy' speed....

Have a great onward trip and look forward to hearing where Lyds makes you go next!!!!! :wave

glad you got there safely, good thing you had the A-Z handy.

Did you go up the orwell with or against the flow?

We would have used about £240 to do what you have done if the Orwell was with you or about £270 with against so you are probably about right. What speed were you cruising at.

keep enjoying it all and look forward to the next installment.

Hi Ian

The tide was with us all the way down and we were cruising at 24/26 knots on average. We should have probably slowed down to about 21/22 to get optimum economy??? Leg trim up +1/+2 with a following sea. Tabs 0 to 1 to balance. Still boucing more than LB thinks he would expect it to in a calmish sea state.

What are your thoughts?

Thursday 29th June

Already 4 nights on board and it is wonderful and probably the first time we have both properly relaxed this year :dance . Lydia is loving having us to herself and not having to share us with her 3 big brothers and/or not being picked on by them… :party:

We had been talked through a map of Ipswich by a very helpful receptionist at Neptune Marina who pointed out all of the places of interest, as well as cinemas, swimming pool, restaurants, supermarkets. So, up early for us again, Lydia and I set off to the city centre for essential supplies. A 15 min walk to get there and we return with 4 new books for the bookworm, traditional sweets in paper bags including a generous helping of gob stoppers which I insisted LB would be only too happy to pay for!! ;):naughty: There were two great old fashioned sweet shops which we came across, and for the first time I have ever seen since being a child, the one we went in had proper America Soda and Kay-lie (do not know how to spell this, it is what we called it in Lancashire), the sherbets that you bought a liquorice stick to dip in although no rainbow variety which is what I used to buy as a child.

A pit stop at Sainsburys for other bits and back to the boat to find LB clearing the flybridge canopy of gallons of water from the previous evenings downpour. Unfortunately, in typical style, he had also decided to freshen up our cabin and had the skylight fully open….. result soaked bed :o:roll::shockedtwo gunstwo gunstwo guns .

Our original and ideal plan for today, had been to take up a buoy at Pin Mill and eat at the Butt and Oyster on the quay in the evening, however, high tide was mid afternoon and we didn’t fancy low tide and muddy shoes (not sure if this is correct, please advise David or Perry). My understanding is that if you don’t have wellies, try to moor at the quay before high water, then step onboard when the dinghy is floating?? So, Plan B, was Woolverstone Marina however, they were fully booked with a Dutch contingency. It also seemed prudent at this point to ring Titchmarsh for our next 2 nights now knowing it is Harwich Power Boat event this weekend (thanks Perry or David, can’t remember which), only to be told they also were not taking bookings :o . So, at this point, it looked like all our tentative plans had gone pear-shaped :cry . We then received a call from Titchmarsh who took our booking, phew.., and we booked into Levington for the evening. We purposely hadn’t pre-booked before leaving because a) we were not sure we would make it as far as Ipswich!! And B) if we did, we didn’t know when!!!!!! :River Police So having booked Levington, I then tried to book the Ship Inn, which I seem to recall Perry mentioning as being good. The menu looked superb, very yummy. However, the conversation went along the lines of:- sorry, no, we don’t take bookings. Dogs, only allowed in the bar (can live with that). Children, no we don’t welcome children :o . OK, so we won’t be eating with you, bye….. Shame….. I think we have been spoiled on the Broads with virtually everywhere welcoming children, although I have to admit I was rather shocked that children are prohibited. So, two places for LB and I to do on a child and dog free weekend, which doesn’t happen very often.. ;)

LB then got on with usual routine of checking everything is shipshape in the engine room only to find that the starboard engine side is full of sea water and not only sea water, there is also a black carbon deposit on the floor, whereas, you could have ate your dinner off the floor before we left Southwold and he is very concerned :shocked:cry . Any suggestions anyone????

We are very pleased to say we had no mishaps on leaving our berth at Neptune :grin: ; the bump at Southwold is actually our first mishap…. I know, I know, how unbelievable that may appear!!! ;)

Tin hat time…. Compared to what you sometimes get on the broads ie ‘the bridges’, the politeness at the lock in Ipswich nearly got us both running up to the control centre to kiss him…… we heard…… You are free to continue on your voyage, thank you and have a nice afternoon…………. They also appear to have a different wave ‘down here’; it is more a raised arm in salute, smile and nod than the mad waving that makes your hand hurt and exercises your arm muscles that you get on the Broads!!!

Next, is the largest boys toy shop in East Anglia ie Fox’s Chandlers where LB spends a happy hour spending thousands in his mind and very little in real cash ;):grin: .

Mercs knows the difference in the revs in terms of what he likes and doesn’t, and the Orwell is ‘rev friendly’ at 6 knots so he is hanging over the side most of the way barking at anything he thinks is intruding on ‘his’ river being King Orwell now rather King Broads :cool: . When at sea, he gets on the floor and stays there until the revs drop to his preferred level.

We were properly blinged out coming into RSYC by a Fairline Squadron very big b****r, who WE allowed priority to by holding off (LB says he should know the size as he has one on order just can’t quite decide whether to have a white or blue hull) (in his dreams lol)…. Anyway, we did the Orwell wave to blank from the Richard Branson lookalike who then thought nothing of the wash he created!!

Moored up and I get on with cleaning up whilst LB prises Blingette bookworm away from her book with the tempting offer of helming the rib and learning to row. They both return about an hour later very happy with Lydia showing me her rowing technique and a rope half the price of Fox’s to replace the one left on Southwold quay!!

Next was the highlight of the day, the sun was shining Mercury is now two and so far has appeared frightened to death of the water….. so his first dip……. LB ‘what if he can’t swim’ :roll: and ties a rope to his lifejacket before lowering him into the water. He panicked to start with and kept swimming back to the bathing platform. He then seemed to start enjoying it but still wanting to know he could get out, so we lifted him, showered him and towelled him dry. I think he enjoyed it, so more tomorrow on the backwaters, when Lydia wants to swim with him.

Dinner this evening at SYHC, then I decreed a music night and we spent about an hour trying to educate Lydia on the enduring heroes/heroines of music rather than Alexander Burke, JLS and Jason DeLulo (who are they??)

Walton Backwaters tomorrow.

We normally pick up a buoy at Pin Mill a couple of hours before high water it gives you a 3-4 hour window for 'lunch' without muddy feet.

The Ship at Levington is not my cup of tea, The Shipwreck at Shotley is, couple of spare berths there also ;)

We normally pick up a buoy at Pin Mill a couple of hours before high water it gives you a 3-4 hour window for 'lunch' without muddy feet.

The Ship at Levington is not my cup of tea, The Shipwreck at Shotley is, couple of spare berths there also ;)

I prefer picking up girls!!! :naughty::naughty::naughty:

lb :pirate :pirate :pirate

however, high tide was mid afternoon...

at this point to ring Titchmarsh for our next 2 nights ..

Walton Backwaters tomorrow.

A little reminder to watch your depth's in the Backwaters, Jupes.

Mid-afternoon tides means very early morning / late afternoon in two days time...

The bit turning up the creek past the shingle island (Stone Point I think it is called) towards Walton and the marina can get very shallow.

But then I've only ever been in there with a rag and stick so it shouldn't be not be as restrictive for your bling machine..

Swimming in the Backwaters, remember not to touch the bottom, it won't take your weight!

Mud, Mud, glorious mud!

Enjoy the rest of your holiday

Martin

A little reminder to watch your depth's in the Backwaters, Jupes.

Mid-afternoon tides means very early morning / late afternoon in two days time...

The bit turning up the creek past the shingle island (Stone Point I think it is called) towards Walton and the marina can get very shallow.

But then I've only ever been in there with a rag and stick so it shouldn't be not be as restrictive for your bling machine..

Swimming in the Backwaters, remember not to touch the bottom, it won't take your weight!

Mud, Mud, glorious mud!

Enjoy the rest of your holiday

Martin

cheers Martin for the advice, very aware that the tides are getting to unconvenient times however, having been to Rockland Broad and other places on 0, we are more worried about sea conditions, as they appear to be getting more changeable :o

And as far as my weight :o , it is not polite to mention weight to ladies you know... :lol::lol::lol: Thanks for the advice, will inform Blingette!!

Hi everyone

hope you all having a good time keep the story going cheersbar cheersbar

Jupes cant wait to see merc again :dance

i hope your taking loads of photo's?

Jonny ice sliceice slice

Lots of photos, just forgot to bring the downloader duh!!