Urgent Help Needed For Injured Duck At Acle Bridge

Mandyw

45 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

I think when we find wildlife (or farm/domestic animals) in distress we will try and do what we can for them, especially when the cause of the distress is man made. But how should we deal with wildlife being... well wild? This year we spent our first night in the usually peaceful Salhouse Broad. Not long after we arrived I could see a commotion amongst the ducks. Getting closer I could see about 4-5 male mallards ferociously attacking and seemingly drowning a female mallard. I tried to break them up with a pole from the boat, but the males seemed intent on 'finishing off' the female. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has seen this type of behaviour and indeed what it was. Was it simply one group of ducks attacking another either a turf war of over mating? Or was the female sick and this is what ducks do to prevent suffering?

In the end I could not break them up and had to let nature take its course and having watched Springwatch this is something you sometimes have to do, however distressing it may be.

That I am sorry to say is what happens in the spring every year,  not 4 - 5 mallards granted but I have seen 3 at a time.  Vicious little sods they are too.     Think nothing of drowning the female, poor little souls.    Those Egyptian Geese are another vicious lot.

So pleased that people are helping.  It is good to hear.

Smoggy - orange sauce - you know its the naughty corner for you my lad.......

49 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has seen this type of behaviour 

Yes, a number of times. Male mallards are not exactly gentle towards their females and it sounds as if she had more than one suitor after her. Nature takes its course in many different ways. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Now then Cap’n, keep the party clean. :default_norty:

Me? Nah :default_norty:

4 minutes ago, vanessan said:

By the way, August 9th will be interesting won’t it? :default_norty:

Yep, That canary is another bird that'll get a good stuffing that day :default_blush:

With the exception of the return leg however, good luck to them :default_smile: