DECK PAINTING

The deck areas on our boat are in need of some TLC so I started rubbing down yesterday. I have reached a point where all loose material has been removed from the section I have started.

The previous coating had started to flake and came off in pieces an inch or two across leaving some depressions, whilst the remainder is sound and has good adhesion to whatever is underneath.

Is there a product out there that can be used to fill the depressions back level with the surrounding area to provide a smooth surface to apply non-slip deck paint to?

Thanks for any advice you are able to provide.

Ken

Ken Knowing your boat I suspect you had the same problem us us, coat after coat of thick grey anti slip paint pealing in different layers. Like you I scraped all the loose flaking bit off sometimes it came right off to the gell coat and sometimes to the previous layer.

After I got the loose stuff off as best as I could I then used a product called strippit, designed I believe for anti fouling. I bought it at Norfolk marine. I chose this for 2 reasons, firstly because it does not attack gel coat and secondly it is cheap, about £15 for 3kgs.

It does not attack 2 pack although it can discolour it. It is a slow job because I had to shave it off in order that it did not either splash other boats or polute the water. Leaving it overnight< a damp dewey night is ideal it will be all loose and bubbly in the morning and I was able to get right back to gell coat and replace with a single layer of interdeck, which is showing no sign of pealing at all. Just getting mucky and scratched though.

Careful of paintstripper though if your boat is not painted in two pack, if I remember correctly yours has been repainted.

• 9 months later...
Ken Knowing your boat I suspect you had the same problem us us, coat after coat of thick grey anti slip paint pealing in different layers. Like you I scraped all the loose flaking bit off sometimes it came right off to the gell coat and sometimes to the previous layer.

After I got the loose stuff off as best as I could I then used a product called strippit, designed I believe for anti fouling. I bought it at Norfolk marine. I chose this for 2 reasons, firstly because it does not attack gel coat and secondly it is cheap, about £15 for 3kgs.

It does not attack 2 pack although it can discolour it. It is a slow job because I had to shave it off in order that it did not either splash other boats or polute the water. Leaving it overnight< a damp dewey night is ideal it will be all loose and bubbly in the morning and I was able to get right back to gell coat and replace with a single layer of interdeck, which is showing no sign of pealing at all. Just getting mucky and scratched though.

Careful of paintstripper though if your boat is not painted in two pack, if I remember correctly yours has been repainted.

Nice bit of info Gordon, as sometime this summer i will be trying to get the deckpaint off and replacing it with either new deckpaint or Treadmaster.. :wave