Beginner's Questions

Coryton

On 23/06/2019 at 10:25, Coryton said:

I suppose all I could answer that with is why?

There's lots of things I haven't tried, and I'm afraid fishing isn't high up the list of ones I'd like to. 

I think we can both agree that boating is fun though. I would happily do a lot more of that.

It's probably bad form to answer your own posts, but...

I've just seen on the Richardson's web site they have a list of their customers' top ten recommendations, including:

7) Try fishing (even if you have never done it before)

Maybe I should give it a go...

24 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Well if you do then please use a net to bring it onboard, handle any fish in a cloth whilst you remove the hook and dont just lob it back in to the water.

Don't worry - I don't tend to launch into things without some research beforehand - which is why I've joined this forum and pestered people with questions before hiring on the Broads this summer...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Coryton said:

I've just seen on the Richardson's web site they have a list of their customers' top ten recommendations, including:

I followed  a  Rico’s boat back from Wroxham and dragging in the water was a keep net, when they pulled over at Salhouse I noticed it was full of small fish which I assume are for live baiting. Apart from being surprised it didn’t get caught round the prop I don’t suppose the fish were to happy either.

8 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Well if you do then please use a net to bring it onboard, handle any fish in a cloth whilst you remove the hook and dont just lob it back in to the water.

No, lob it in the frying pan, what is the point in sticking a hook through a wild creatures mouth and pulling it out of it's natural habitat if you are not going to eat it? To do that just to let it go again is cruelty for cruelty's sake (I'm not a fisherman, can you guess), to do that and eat it is nature at work.

• Like 2

Evening All ... and back to one of the OP's questions.

We haven't ever mudweighted overnight in a Broad yet. Great for a lunchtime stop but ... haven't quite brought ourselves to do it overnight.

My tip, though, is that there are a few moorings where you have to pay i.e. if they're not the free Broads Authority 24hour moorings, so the likes of Beccles, Oulton Broad, Norwich and a few places on the northern side. So we always like to have some cash with us in case it's needed ... not a commodity that most of us tend to carry around anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

Evening All ... and back to one of the OP's questions.

We haven't ever mudweighted overnight in a Broad yet. Great for a lunchtime stop but ... haven't quite brought ourselves to do it overnight.

My tip, though, is that there are a few moorings where you have to pay i.e. if they're not the free Broads Authority 24hour moorings, so the likes of Beccles, Oulton Broad, Norwich and a few places on the northern side. So we always like to have some cash with us in case it's needed ... not a commodity that most of us tend to carry around anymore.

They don't take contactless then?

I find I very rarely need to pay real cash for anything these days...not even catching the bus...

1 hour ago, Coryton said:

I find I very rarely need to pay real cash for anything these days...not even catching the bus...

I could really go to town on this subject! I do worry, likely needlessly, about just how much we rely on technology! There is little in this world that is more certain than one day it will go t*ts up! No cash for that eventuality?? I also think dismissing cash is part of an establishment plot to get folk to part with money. Simple as it sounds, I do think people are more aware of the actual value of their money in actual cash form. Plastic makes spending frighteningly easy and there are many people living in debt, misery and are also homeless as a result.  Nuff said! This can really get me angry! Apologies for the thread drift.

• Like 4

I have thought about trying it then I think about how the majority of anglers seem to be as miserable as sin. Why do something that makes you that way?

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Coryton said:

They don't take contactless then?

Well I’m not sure about the yacht stations, maybe someone who has stopped at any of those places recently could answer that. But there’s one place with an honesty box on the south. And three places I can think of on the north where someone comes round to collect - Salhouse, Womack Water and the island at Ranworth. 

37 minutes ago, SteveDuk said:

I have thought about trying it then I think about how the majority of anglers seem to be as miserable as sin. Why do something that makes you that way?

I think it’s all to do with how seriously you take it and how much you’ve spent.  Cheap rod and reel, don’t get too fussy about it and while away the time sitting in the aft well of Cockatoo, rod in one hand and beer in the other.

I can think of worse things to do.

On 01/07/2019 at 00:26, VetChugger said:

I could really go to town on this subject! I do worry, likely needlessly, about just how much we rely on technology! There is little in this world that is more certain than one day it will go t*ts up! No cash for that eventuality?? I also think dismissing cash is part of an establishment plot to get folk to part with money. Simple as it sounds, I do think people are more aware of the actual value of their money in actual cash form. Plastic makes spending frighteningly easy and there are many people living in debt, misery and are also homeless as a result.  Nuff said! This can really get me angry! Apologies for the thread drift.

ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON, I couldn't agree more. There are Farr too many people living in debt because of unscrupulous selling of store cards, credit cards erc, all designed to keep the person in debt. The worst thing is, those that use these cards flatly Refuse to accept the imoralty of the situation. Anybody on here do history at school, where you were taught about "debters prisons"?. These days you see adverts proudly announcing you can have your debt written off. Absolutely disgraceful. 

On 01/07/2019 at 00:26, VetChugger said:

There is little in this world that is more certain than one day it will go t*ts up! No cash for that eventuality??

more especially since I recieved a text message from my bank saying they will be doing essential maintenance on this coming sunday, which meands they say that while i will still be able to withdraw cash from their machines that online banking, pingit, and their apps wont be working and that some payments may be declined between 11.30pm on saturday to 3.30pm sunday - what if that was the only day i was going to be able to go shopping, and I got to the till and the card was declined - just leave it in the trolly and come back at 3.30 pm? for those that dont do cash this would be a tricky obstacle, I always like to have some cash in hand, but then I am considered old fashioned. a taste of things to come I think.

• Like 2

Ahhh, Normality is restored. I don't agree with Speedtriple. (and therefore Vetchugger). A coin or a five pound note has no intrinsic value. It represents the amount of money written on it's face. The same can be said of the Debit card (credit cards are a different matter) When you present your card, the value of the transaction is deducted from your account. There is little difference in presenting your card to the vendor, or presenting it to a cashpoint, getting scraps of plastic and then presenting them to the vendor.

Change (I mean progress, not the change in your pocket) is and will always be happening. The computer is here to stay and will only become more prevalent in day to day life. We already rely on electricity for normal life, for everything from seeing in the dark through paying at the till, to payroll bank transfers. The "cashless society" will soon be here and eventually, paying for something with cash will be thought of in the same way as paying with cattle. ( "A Friesian? Haven't you got anything smaller?" or "Sorry about all the chickens, I've run out of sheep!"  ) 

Sorry, as a mere whipper snapper I have to say that I find carrying around and paying with cash a bit of a pain in the rear.

I've never experienced any problems whilst whipping out my card to pay for something (well not that I could blame on technology anyway :default_smiley-angelic002:) and it's pretty hard trying to slide your pound coins into the USB port to pay online.

The best thing about the more modern way of payment for me though, is the confused look on the face of certain Norfuckian (yes and Suffuckian) faces when I pull my phone out in order to make a contactless payment :default_biggrin:

So bring on the "cashless society" and bring on change (pun possibly intended :default_norty:). 

As a tightarsed old git I find the thought of having to go into a company reception and dealing with the guvnor through official channels including reciepts and all that go with it (ie vat) horrifying when I need a little engineering job done, now walking through the back door of said company and having a chat with the bloke on the machines with £20 note in my hand I find gets things done much quicker and cheaper.

Especially as I work over the road from a stainless fabrication place.

• Like 3

Whenever I am unlucky enough to find myself encumbered by cash my wife kindly relieves me of it for boot fairs and charity shops.

Indeed I haven't really been closely associated with cash for over 40 years... I'm told the half-crown is no longer in circulation?

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Ray said:

Whenever I am unlucky enough to find myself encumbered by cash my wife kindly relieves me of it for boot fairs and charity shops.

Indeed I haven't really been closely associated with cash for over 40 years... I'm told the half-crown is no longer in circulation?

What's half crown?

Jay has completely stopped carrying cash, he finds when we're out shopping together he can't seem to hold onto it for very long :default_biggrin:

Grace

• Like 1

On 22/06/2019 at 11:40, Coryton said:

Still having difficulty visualising why springs work the way they do, but if works, it works...

The two mooring lines doing the work (depending on which way the tide is flowing) will hold the boat against the bank side. As the tide changes the opposite pair of lines then do the work and keep the boat alongside.

• Like 1