Beginner's Questions

Coryton

2 hours ago, Gracie said:

What's half crown?

Jay has completely stopped carrying cash, he finds when we're out shopping together he can't seem to hold onto it for very long :default_biggrin:

Grace

Hi Grace back in the day before decimalization when I was around 10 (so the early 60's half a crown about 13 P now) would buy fish and chips for a family of six.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grendel said:

surely 12 1/2p rather than 25p, 25p is five bob

Ah good, you spotted my deliberate mistake :default_biggrin:

Yes you're right of course... I used to get a half-crown for my pocket money. When I was about 50 I reminded my dad that he had forgotten my pocket money for about 35 years and he owed me a lot of money before I even started to compound the interest. Just goes to prove you're never to old for a clip round the ear :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Grace back in the day before decimalization when I was around 10 (so the early 60's half a crown about 13 P now) would buy fish and chips for a family of six.

Regards

Alan 

You've just brought back happy memories of ambling home from Scouts with a six inch sheath knife on my belt and four pennoth of chips (with scraps, of course)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Frankphughes said:

I love fish but prefer Seafood.   Can you catch crabs on the broads?

I found the tube vid regarding the rond anchor really helpfull. Are there other videos etc show in the different types of mooring in particular the mooring in tidal areas.

It's possible to catch a crab if you are rowing a dinghy around the broads

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Frankphughes said:

I love fish but prefer Seafood.   Can you catch crabs on the broads?

I found the tube vid regarding the rond anchor really helpfull. Are there other videos etc show in the different types of mooring in particular the mooring in tidal areas.

Many suggest it might be possible in Yarmouth:default_norty:

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Biggest rip off I remember was a box of Swan Vesta matches

Price before decimalisation 2d

Price after decimalisation    2p

2.4 times the price

Sorry but if I remember correctly a normal box of matches was 2d approx 40 Swan were 4d smaller matches but you got approx 100. Better value

1 hour ago, Frankphughes said:

Is there a particular reason, would I be advised then to hire and tow?. 

Frank you are either teasing us or it's a saying you just happen not to have come across. To "catch a crab" while rowing is to make a stroke in which the oar either misses the water or digs too deeply, causing the rower to fall backwards. ...

Sincere apologies if I'm guilty of stating the bl**ding obvious :12_slight_smile:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ray said:

Frank you are either teasing us or it's a saying you just happen not to have come across. To "catch a crab" while rowing is to make a stroke in which the oar either misses the water or digs too deeply, causing the rower to fall backwards. ...

Sincere apologies if I'm guilty of stating the bl**ding obvious :12_slight_smile:

Thanks for that Ray I was waiting to see what answers if any came up to my post. Wouldn't fancy catching one at Yarmouth, tide runs too fast

Tony

• Like 1