New Boat Owner

grendel

so having got a (maybe 10 foot) length of steel tube, plus an 8 foot length of 28mm dowel and a 2m x 3m tarpaulin, it was time to figure how things were going to work, I was told for such a small sail area a pulley was unnecessary, just a topping block to the mast with a hole through it, so of course I went one better, printing a mast topper with a rounded hole through (created by subtracting half a torus from the main part).

to join the boom to the mast I had purchased a clip - looking much like a rowlock, but how to fix it onto the end of the 28mm dowel - easy, a sleeve was printed to hold the clip, with holes built in from the side for captive nuts, to hold the rope at the other end of the boom another sleeve was printed with a torus subtracted (providing a hole for the rope, this time it was curved toward the end). the good bit is I now have the ability to print new parts if these should fail at any point.

Thanks for the offer of mast and sail JA, I might take you up on it, but I want to have a go myself first, as I now have the parts I need (just waiting on the delivery of some grommets for the edges of the sail), I have some very good waterproof duct tape from Lidl that is pretty decent (it held my wing mirror on my old Volvo for several years), this will be used to reinforce and tidy up the edges of the cheap blue tarp where the grommets go through, the sail will then be able to be laced to the boom with loops around the mast, I do have to clean up the outside of the tube i have for the mast, as I think its a top rail from a herris fence, and it has rough weld spots regularly down its length, so those will be smoothed off and the whole thing will get a coat of paint (its mostly galvanised).

IMG_20190624_072604.jpg

IMG_20190624_072609.jpg

IMG_20190624_072627.jpg

IMG_20190624_072704.jpg

• Like 1

My thoughts: that bracket, the 'u' shaped one, will most likely break very soon. Have a look on Nearest and Dearest's Website for goose necks. 

We have one of these on The Whimp, and it fits into a hole drilled into the core of the boom.

image.jpeg

Polly the sail will only be about 6 foot by 8 foot max, the clip part I bought at the chandlers in a pack of 2 (so I will have a spare), and the rest is printed from ABS Plastic which is pretty tough stuff., if worst comes to worst I can make one out of plywood for the end of the boom, its not as if its going to take the strain that a bigger boats mast might (if its that windy I expect I will be rowing or using the outboard) it will only be for playing around, the goosneck above probably has a bigger pin sticking out than my boom is in diameter

Polly I think I can see what you are getting at now, the rig I have got at the moment doesnt allow for the boom to tilt up and down as the wind blows, so it will put a torsional stress on the clip, I can sort that out by slotting the clip end cap and putting a pivot bolt in, though i might just redesign the part and reprint to achieve my aim.

so following on from Pollys comments on the gooseneck, I got to work and set the printer going, 11 hours later I have a gooseneck, this will be able to rotate on the mast (probably constrained by a collar above and one below) and allow the boom to move vertically, cost to print only about £4, i do love my 3d printer. strength - we will see, but it is ABS plastic, and that is tough stuff.

so pictures below - mast topper, goosneck and the end for the boom.

these will be bolted in place through the boom and mast top, but not of course the gooseneck, two collars will be printed, one above and one below, also fixed through the mast.

IMG_0275.JPG

IMG_0276.JPG

IMG_0277.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

today, apart from working on the model, i worked on the boat, getting her ready for the wooden boat show, i had already fitted a seat / mast mount area at the front, so today was getting the mast set up, oh it has wheels for easy moving, i used the opportunity to practice with a new tool, a screw cutter for making wooden threads, this wood thread is used to attach the wheels into the mast hole. its been a day of i step forward 2 back as i managed to break part of the goosneck (the part on the boom.) a new print will be needed. this time as a solid part

IMG_0290.JPG

IMG_0291.JPG

IMG_0292.JPG

IMG_0293.JPG

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_0296.JPG

IMG_0297.JPG

well, the replacement gooseneck part for the boom has completed, i rotated the part so that the layering effect is at right angles to the stress and bumped up the infill from 50% to 90% (what my davinci 1.0 Ai0 printer calls solid) to avoid having it break, I will also fix the layering by giving it a brush over with some acetone to seal the layers (the printer prints in ABS plastic which is very strong, but the weaknesses are with the grain so to speak.- acetone slightly melts the surface and reinforces the layers)

On 24/06/2019 at 14:51, NorfolkNog said:

Just caught up with this. Cracking little boat :default_sailing:

My Dad had a Mirror dinghy. Had great fun with it too, took it all over the place on the roof of his car. It sailed very well too as I recall. Don't ask me about the rig though :default_norty:

Have you ever read "The unlikely voyage of Jack De Crow" by A.J. Mackinnon?  He sails a Mirror  from Ellesmere to the Black Sea. Great book.

I last sailed a Mirror back in 2003 in Falmouth Harbour. Judith and I had an absolutely wonderful fun sailing day with a picnic at St Just in Roseland.