London log

Guest mariotech

Wayne and Ian arrieved in Southwold today for our trip to London to begin in ernest. We have spent a week here relaxing so are ready for a cruise. More posts to follow.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

good to see Yarmouth Port Authority are getting ready for a B- takeover of the bridges by opening Haven Bridge 40 minuets late for our exit, at least we got a smooth cruise down to Southwold once through the Bumpy bit that lasted from Yarmouth to just past Lowestoft

Also seem to have a problem with the glorious sunshine we ordered months ago, Will definately be putting in a complaint when we get back.

:wave

Made our first solo trip yesterday to join Ian and Jonathan in Southwold. We left Lowestoft in full wet weather gear, and arrived in glorious sunshine so we must have looked very over dressed. A nice run down with Maggot navigating by compass with only occassional glances at the chartplotter just to make sure.

On the way in to southwold there were people fishing off the quay but they would not move their lines, and I was not going outside the reccomended track - so some fist waving and guesturing occured :o ( not on our part).

Looking forward to the run down to Titchmarsh today :grin:

:wave

Made our first solo trip yesterday to join Ian and Jonathan in Southwold. We left Lowestoft in full wet weather gear, and arrived in glorious sunshine so we must have looked very over dressed. A nice run down with Maggot navigating by compass with only occassional glances at the chartplotter just to make sure.

On the way in to southwold there were people fishing off the quay but they would not move their lines, and I was not going outside the reccomended track - so some fist waving and guesturing occured :o ( not on our part).

Looking forward to the run down to Titchmarsh today :grin:

well done maggot!!!!

watch out though....Lb is getting ready to leave Titchmarsh as we speak...all container traffic has been suspended in anticipation of our exit :naughty::naughty::naughty:

Look like we are going to have some strong southwesterly winds. So for our next leg fr titchmarsh to the Medway. I am thinking of going out early and pushing tide down the kings channel and middle deep to keep wind with. For those with local knoledge what are your thoughts please.

Nice day today on the backwaters, spent a couple of hours on our private beach for a pinic, went swimming, big mistake to do this on the flood as the water is coming from the North Sea and it is a bit bracing.

Then 3 dinghys full of intrepid explorers set off in search of seals, many spotted so all ready for the £5 carvery now.

Nice one guys!

We only got to see one seal! And there was no way wherby I would wanna go in for a dip in any water less than med temp :norty:

Its a real shame that we missed you by a day at titchmarsh and hope you have a fabulous rest of voyage...

adam... :pirate :pirate :pirate

Look like we are going to have some strong southwesterly winds. So for our next leg fr titchmarsh to the Medway. I am thinking of going out early and pushing tide down the kings channel and middle deep to keep wind with. For those with local knoledge what are your thoughts please.

Conditions today were pretty good if you did manage to get off, tomorrow also not looking bad with mainly Westerleys.

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/walton-on-the-naze

Personally I would run inshore in these conditions having the land as a buffer and use the Swin Spitway. Just be aware of tide times as an incoming tide with Westerleys will give you the worst of wind over tide although if the winds are as forecast they won't be too bad. As ever with the Thames, Pilotage and tide times are the two key factors that are likely to govern any Thames trip.

Hope you have an enjoyable run up to London

All safely arrived in Gillingham. Longest trip some of us have done but the sea was beautiful, so we had an early start to beat the coinditions and all was fine. Sorry we missed you Adam and Suzanne, must have passed you somewhere out there!!!Glad to here you all safe.

St Cats tommorrow subject to the weather. Will post some pics later. Off to get Pizza now. See you all soon

Tracy :wave:wave

Pushed tide for three hours today to keep wind with tide metoffice gave out sw 5s. We now have one 6 cylinder engine and one 5 or one good engine and a full set of spares, so st cats or bust tomorrow

will be asking Thames VTS for permision to pass through the barrier at speed. journey going superb, boat faultless and only 400 litres of fuel burned so far or a wapping 1 and 1/4 miles to the gallon at 22 knots even with running the last 40 against the tide.

first time we have been out of sight of land so was a different experience being 12 miles out in Barrow deep.

OK we've given you the headstart you needed and now with oue 80 knot wonderboat we will see if we can catch you up..... I wish!!! Why couldnt it be the week after next - we will be doing it all by ourselves.... Ian you will have to tell me all of the petrol places you've found on route! :party2:

Have a fab trip guys

Aha! Told you i made this account so I could spy on my parents (and annoyingly-good-at-boating sibling) :naughty:

Caught a few photos of Sea Jem on the way out from the bascule:

post-859-13671373766_thumb.jpg

post-859-136713737961_thumb.jpg

post-859-136713737965_thumb.jpg

post-859-136713737971_thumb.jpg

So glad to hear you're all having a good time :D I seem to have lost a picture of charlie tucking into his dogsitters slippers, but thankfully they found it funny...until, i presume, its a cold morning and need some slippers :naughty:

Keep the posts coming guys, it's nice to see what my tearaway parents are getting up to :lol:

I can report that at 7.30 this evening crackerjack And sea Jen locked into St Kats to join clandestine who locked in just before. Whilst we were waiting for the lock we had a little run under tower bridge and back. :-)