A Couple Of Pubs From The 1970's

IMHO the only beer Tolly Cobbold brewed of any merit was the bottled offering Tolly 250 which was a stronger ale , the last time I drank this was in the early 80’s and it tasted a bit iffy so I checked the best before date to discover it was two years past .

the draught Tolly was considered to be best described as like  making love in a boat

3 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Can't see Ron on the Norfolk Pubs data base although it's listed as being owned by Fowlers of Oulton Broad by 1975 and Michael George Whyles being landlord 1975 to 1978 when a Terence Abbot took over.

I was an eighth part of Fowlers. As a company we bought the pub from Ron, can't remember the exact date though. Mike eventually became the licencee but he was employed as the manager. Terry Abbot bought the company and, for whatever reason, put his own manager in rather than keep Mike and Andy on. Just a thought, whilst Ron might have been the front man he might have sold it under a company name. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ChrisB said:

So from your link this was how The Ferry was when it suffered a direct hit in 1941 killing over 20. I think it was attributed to a German bomber not finding target and having to unload before the return crossing of the North Sea and subsequent landing.

Screenshot_20190627-173627.thumb.png.6192e3a5a3dbd4a0e57ddfdfd2a3f1e6.png

The Germans announced they had Bombed a major  boatyard, (Probably Herbert woods Potter Heigham) it's actually thought the Bomber saw the lights of a car arriving illuminate the side of the Ferry inn and dropped them.  22 died and 4 were injured.

It used to be that you could stilll see the half moon shapes in the river bottom on the hydrgraphic survey, but with dredging going on in the area last year I'm not sure thats still the case..

• Like 2

Last but not least the superb Locks at Geldeston. Again featuring the ubiquitous Tolly Cobbold ales. This was before the new extensions were built on either side and when it could truly be described as an unspoilt rural gem! It would probably be when Walter Coe was landlord.

As an aside I see that Colin Smith had been at the pub for 14 years, such a shame.

Locks.jpg

Locks sign.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• 1 year later...

Slightly earlier - 1968 to be precise - but I stumbled across this whilst searching for something else and thought of Howard.

There was apparently a resident band at the Dukes Head in Somerleyton during 1968 - a duo comprising two local lads (keyboards & drums) who played 5 nights a week. The keyboard player obviously started to put together a blog about his musical escapades and this post has memories and photos of some of those lively gigs at the Dukes Head.

https://earlybandays.blogspot.com/2010/01/1965_9244.html

Carol

• Thanks 1

I was Kaiser Bill's Batman was a novalty hit in 67 for Whistling Jack Smith. Written by Roger Greenaway and Roger Cook who wrote the classic 60s hit "You've got your troubles"  for The Fortunes. I think that must be what the note refers to.

28 minutes ago, Wussername said:

Excuse Mr Nog.

Wot about Watneys Red Barrel. The girls had a Cherry B, or a Babycham. A good night eh!

Sometimes with a happy ending!

Andrew

When my father was first introduced to my exsister in law by my brother in the pub he asked her what she wanted to drink “I think I’d like a brandy and babysham “ was her response to which my father replied “well you had better think again” 

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

When my father was first introduced to my exsister in law by my brother in the pub he asked her what she wanted to drink “I think I’d like a brandy and babysham “ was her response to which my father replied “well you had better think again” 

Could have been worse! I knew a girl who drank Brandy and Moussec. From memory Moussec was about a shilling more than Babycham.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

. . . . . and ogled Tropical Linda at the Sampson & Hercules at the weekend, rubbing shoulders with sons of well to do boatyard owners! 

Well we all knew who that was don't we. 

I think you have have got to the very heart of the matter.  Surely the Washington Club, not the Sampson. The big boys went to the Washington.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Wussername said:

Excuse Mr Nog.

Wot about Watneys Red Barrel. The girls had a Cherry B, or a Babycham. A good night eh!

Sometimes with a happy ending!

Andrew

:default_winko:  Now that does take me back.  Dreamland in Margate on a Friday night.  Too many years ago to admit to............... but

I still have the memories!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wussername said:

Those were the days, what,what!

All the young farmers had Austin Healey Sprites.

Plenty good enough for them !

Andrew.

As did the sons of Building Contractors. Judith and I leaning on Sprite outside The Cock at Sarrett and roof down in the snow. The year 1970, we married in 1971.

Screenshot_20200904-213555.thumb.png.1340522a4db877ed6b0253a8b644365f.pngScreenshot_20200904-213555.thumb.png.1340522a4db877ed6b0253a8b644365f.png

Screenshot_20200904-213642.thumb.png.750b68d1a2c1540697af63cbcc2006b4.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wussername said:

Surely the Washington Club, not the Sampson.

Heavens, I must be getting old, completely forgot about the Washington Club! :default_sad:  Actually I don't think that I went there above a couple or so times. Once was a Hoseason's winter get together, very much a lad's night out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wussername said:

Surely the Washington Club, not the Sampson. The big boys went to the Washington.

The "Sam and Herc" was where all the boys crowded round the bar and all the girls danced round in a circle around their handbags, piled up in a heap in the middle of the dance floor!

My "crowd" preferred Ranworth Country Club, from where we would all drive back to Norwich in 2nd gear all the way, at about 3AM!

More signs of a mis-spent youth!

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

The "Sam and Herc" was where all the boys crowded round the bar and all the girls danced round in a circle around their handbags, piled up in a heap in the middle of the dance floor!

My "crowd" preferred Ranworth Country Club, from where we would all drive back to Norwich in 2nd gear all the way, at about 3AM!

More signs of a mis-spent youth!

The jazz scene me! Studio4, the Grosvenor, Singing with Black Anna in Ber Street. 

Norwich was a different place in those years. 

Dancing to Terry Lightfoot, Acka Bilk.

The snatches of converation.

"Dance.? ......."I'm with me friend"  

"Where do you live? "   " Beccles"......................."Gulp!

• Like 3