Navigating Through Horning 3rd-9th August 2019

TheQ

Sleep well err. 

After packing up the buoys and a wander down to the Chinese for food,  I set to work lifting the floor of the motorboat,  then Removing the covers  of the battery boxes,  then topping up 24 2V cells with water. 

At that point I had the meal which had cooled enough to eat.. 

Then I hooked my DMM and Started battery testing,  as last time out,  the pack voltage collapsed to 30 V and the electric drive system shut down. Could I make it do it again.. No,  every cell checked out OK even with full power on pulling at the moorings,  it only dropped to 40 V after some time,  and then returned to 48v + on shut down.

So I packed away and lay on the berth to think about it, about 20:00, 23:55 I woke up.. And went to bed..  03:55 the rain arrived with the leading edge of the forecast storm. 

It's now very dull with a easterly  wind.

Last race Wednesday  a Reedling keelboat ( 20ft dinghy with a keel really)  was leaving the moorings,  and a lady broke her arm fending off a moored broads cruiser...  So yesterday her husband was on rescue boat duties instead of sailing. 

It was uneventful as far as errant motorcruisers ..

The wind was lighter than forecast,  southwesterly in the morning,  

At lunchtime the various cruiser classes set off in practically no wind,  we shortened one lot after nearly an hour.. They had travelled 400yards.. The taller masted cruisers had set off before, and did a Mile each way some taking nearly 2 hours

The first afternoon race the south westerly returned,  then having tacked their way to the first mark rounded that as... The wind did a 180 and they had to tack their way back... The wind gradually became stronger to something reasonable later.. 

The last race yesterday was the water babies.. That is juniors in fixed keelboats.  Very trusting owners lend a 20ft to 25ft open keel boat to an under 16 to race.. 

Not surprisingly this is held entirely within view of the Clubhouse. 

With a running start from the Clubhouse  they all arrived at the buoy at the same time,  turned and...

All completely underestimated the effect of a 2 knot incoming tide on a keelboat.. There were so many infringements you'd need a slow-motion video to work it all out  . There was however no damage, but a fair amount of pushing off.. 

Time to finish this coffee... They might need some rescue boats if we race... 

Today's picture  how to terrify tourists heading into the pack.. 

IMG_20190808_154622.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

a lady broke her arm fending off a moored broads cruiser.

How often do we hear how dangerous this is but it is instinct that drives us to take immediate action without ever thinking about it. Hope the lady is ok (in spirit anyway) after her mishap, guess sailing will be on the back burner for a few weeks. 

The seaweed inspectors,  got it very wrong yesterday,  slightly drizzly early  in the morning,  then scattered showers and sunshine,  a beautiful day for sailing,  Norfolk reached 28C yesterday. 

We lost just a couple of  late on races for juniors due to the increasing wind

Just after 16:00 a large hire cruiser coming out of Black Horse broad reported a Richardson day boat broken down in the entrance.  So I went in to find them tied up to the gate posts,  There being no mobile phone signal there,  they had been tied up for some time.

Radioing the race control box, they couldn't get through to Richardsons day boats anyway. So they gave me instructions to tow it back to the club. 

On the way back I also had to do a shortened course for a sailing cruiser race,  which is interesting towing,  holding up flag,  pressing button for horn, steering controlling the speed  all at the same time.

I had gone up River earlier on my own, to do another shortened course and stayed  up at the top of the course to guide tourists through and act as another pair of eyes,  there were two or three other  rescue boats  out elsewhere on the course.. 

Gratifyingly I somehow managed a perfect tow in and drop off in front of the audience of club members waiting for the end of racing and the double cannon fire.. 

Someone from the club gave the hireboat crew a lift back to wroxham

So after 164 races over the week, it's all over for another year,  the racing seems to have gone well and 99% of non competitors travelling through behaved themselves. I didn't hear of any genuine complaints by the non competitors. 

I'm now going to empty the landrover and give the washing machine some work

But first a Muggacoffee.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, vanessan said:

How often do we hear how dangerous this is but it is instinct that drives us to take immediate action without ever thinking about it. Hope the lady is ok (in spirit anyway) after her mishap, guess sailing will be on the back burner for a few weeks. 

She was quite happily sitting in the club house the following morning. 

• Like 1

Thanks to The Q for manning the rescue boat- I joined him on Tuesday afternoon for a long shift where we ended up getting absolutely and utterly drenched and yesterday morning where I remained fairly dry.  In one direction you are looking to ensure sailing boats are not in trouble and at the same time looking the other way for oncoming hire boats to give the advice to keep to the bank, etc. etc.  In truth most appeared to appreciate the warning and took our advice but of course there are always others that knew better!

Liz

ps I should add there were others manning rescue boats but Q was up the top of the river everyday for every race except the beginning of the Cruiser race!

• Like 1

On 08/08/2019 at 06:58, TheQ said:

Just a few extra words, 

I've been watching a couple of Marsh harriers up where I direct the floating traffic,  alternately the male and female. 

Yesterday a enterprise dinghy decided the tack in front of yeoman keelboats boat which had nowhere else to go... 200lbs of  enterprise verses 3/4 ton of yeoman...  The enterprise will not be taking any further part this week.. 

Today is the big day,  the original horning regatta day,   many more boats will appear from other clubs

Talking of anniversaries, its the 125th year of the NORFOLK and Suffolk boating association,  they are holding a big Doo at Coldham hall club on the 8th Sept..  Sadly  I won't make it.. 

The enterprise owner recovered his boat in under 12 hours and was back on the water for the first race the next day!

15 hours ago, Boater123sailing said:

The enterprise owner recovered his boat in under 12 hours and was back on the water for the first race the next day!

So i was told the next day but i forgot to mention that