Lightning Strikes Again

What a very pleasant evening. Had an amazing sunset, my usual "pasta Amatriciana" (cooked by yours truly, and some left for bruchetta tomorrow lunchtime), and spent the late evening watching a real classic on dvd, "The Mark Of Zorro" with Tyrone Power. We always bring some dvd's with us, and it's a great way to chill out. Talking of chill, it feels like there's that typical Autumnal chill at night, so what a good job we're going to bed. Good night all. 

• Like 2

Sunday morning, and we wake to blue skies and high patchy cloud. We had an early night last night, but didn't sleep well, quite common on a first night we're away. The family on a couple of Richo's boats were talking loudly till the early hours, and did the same at 6.00am, not very considerate, but certainly not offensive. I got up and put the heating on low, as it was a bit fresh early on. Karen feels the cold badly due to her tablets, so with the autumnal chill, I had to keep her warm. By now I'm wide awake, so I get up and make a pot of tea for me, and a Jasmine tea for Karen, and I had peaceful sit down ond look out over the river and marshes, so relaxing. After tea, it was shower time and dressed. Good job too, as by now the family behind got going. They made a complete hash of things and used Lightnings port quarter as a guide to get away, but being strake to strake, there was no damage. I'l still report it to our chairman though, but he does read the forum, so he'll probably have read this before I get a chance to phone him. 

We're waiting for "The Post Office Tea Room", to open, Karen is looking forward to a bacon butty, I'm looking forward t being my normal greedy self. 

We'll be heading North later, so I wonder where we'll end up tonight?. No plans, except to see Liz at Ramblers Gallery and Gifts at Thurne, otherwise it's point and squirt, and see where we end up. It's great to be afloat. 

• Like 5

Evening all, 

Yes, we had intended to cross Breydon yesterday, but considering the time we would have crossed, and how long it would have taken to get to Acle, we decided to leave it till today, plus after a couple of days of driving, making me tired. However, what an eventful day it is. We had breakfast at the tea shop, and very nice it was too, Karen having a bacon butty, and me having a sausage and cheese toastie, along with a pot of tea for two. I'd recommend the place to everybody. About 10.00am, we set off with a slow cruise down the Yare, noting although high tide was around 11.15, when we got near to Breydon, I phoned the Gt Yarmouth Yacht station, and was a bit surprised to find out the bridge height was 5'3". As a result, we decided to go to Burgh Castle, Moor up for a cuppa, then cross a couple of hours later. WRONG, the moorings were also under water, as we're the moorings at the Fisherman's Inn, and the Berney Arms, result?, we ended up cruing back and forth at just over tickover around the wester end of Breydon and the Waveney past Burgh Castle, passing pleasantries with BA rangers on Station. A bit tedious, but with nowhere to Moor above water level, what else could we do. Around 1.30pm, we decided to make a move, and got to Gt Yarmouth bridges showing 7'4", so went under with 8" to spare. We had a steady and very enjoyable cruise all the way up to Potter Heigham, sometimes under burning sun, other times in a chilly wind, but despite some heavy cloud, no rain. When we reached Potter Heigham, we saw a vacant mooring, which turned out to be the only one after cruising to the bridge and finding all the rest were full. Because we're relaxed and not doing anything, having had our delicious breakfast sandwiches, we were not hungry at lunchtime, so we decided to skip our Bruchetta until we got moored up, then Karen made a lovely light evening meal of bruchetta and salad. I washed up, and now we're just about to tuck onto some lovely cake bought from the tea shop this morning, and settle down in front of the TV, god knows what's on. 

• Like 6

No DVD tonight, Karen is still watching "Spectre", whereas I was watching music, and classic Dave Allen sketches on you tube. We've had a really peaceful evening here at Potter Heigham, not up by the bridge, but further down stream opposite Maycraft. Lovely and quiet, bt now it's time for bed. It's been a long cruise today, but as enjoyable as always. Good night all. 

• Like 3

Can anybody remember the song "I can't stand the rain" by "Eruption"?, well we could easily stand it through the night. There's something comforting about being in bed on a boat, with the "pitter patter" sound of rain drops on the cabin top. 

This morning we wake up to rain, but it's only light, and it doesn't last long, unlike the clouds, which never really cleared till the end of the afternoon.  We're up and about and walking up the path to have breakfast at Bridge Stones, and passed Robin (London Rascal) walking back to a boat with 3 friends. We got to Bridgest ones and Karen ordered 2 fried eggs on toast, and I had a breakfast baggette with grated cheese on it, all washed down with a pot of Earl Grey. Again, I recommend this place to everybody. After breakfast, we had a look at the rental chalets available from Herbert Woods, but the only one we liked was the one facing the river. Then we went in to Lathams for a few bits and bobs, and back to Lightning. We moored on the green a few hundred yards down river, though there was no post or 240, it was very peaceful, and with a steady stream of Herbert Woods boats returning for handover, entertaining. We got going and headed for Thurne to see Liz at Ramblers, but when we arrived, Liz wasn't there, but will be back tomorrow, so we will call in en route to Acle or Stacey Arms. We got back underway, and decided to head for Dilham, and while passing moored boats, I saw a Broom Skipper called "Luna Aura", or something like that, with an NBN burgee on the mast, the owners were waving, so they obviously recognised me or Lightning, but I cannot bring to mind who they were, though the name of their boat does ring a bell. So whoever you are, sincerest apologies, and I will be more polite next time. We turned up the Ant, and I was feeling the chill, so I took the helm below. The visibility on the Diamonds is a bit restrictive from the inside poisition, so with the aid of a couple of cushions, I had a better view. We rounded the bend to Ludham Bridge, and had a clear passage through, but had to wiggle around a few boats jockeying for position etc, but we're soon clear. We cruised up to How Hill, and I spied a familiar boat. It was Ibiza 1, currently occupied by none other than fellow forumite "Seagypsy", who was walking their dog "Bentley". I asked if he was Seagypsy and replied he was, so we pulled over and had a cuppa and a chat for half an hour or so. We both got underway, with SG heading for Paddy's Lane, and us for Dilham. Coming out of the How Hill stretch, we came across a large wherry yacht heading down stream, with a familiar looking boat following. It was none other than another fellow forumite "Ray". I called out, and his good lady alerted him to us, and said a passing hello, hopefully, we'll see you again on our return?. I must also say how stunning your boat is. Absolutely beautiful. We passed through Irstead Shoals taking in the sheer beauty of one of the prettiest stretches of river on the Broads, which would have been even better if the sun was shining. Once across Barton Broad, I looked back and saw SG diverting to Paddy's Lane, I gave him a wave, but don' know whether he saw us. We carried on round to Watford Bridge hoping for a clearance of 7ft, but the gauge was 6'9", so didn't risk it and turned back for Stalham. By now, the sun was again shining, and we reached our destination, and got moored and connected up. We sat watching TV for a bit, and then I cooked a chicken risotto. After dinner,  Karen watched TV till 8.30, but which time we were ready for another DVD. Dates Peak was tonight's entertainment, which has recently finished. It's been a bit fresh this evening, so we've had the heating on. It's been a very enjoyable day today, especially seeing some fellow forumites, now I can picture them when reading their posts. Time has now caught up with me, and a warm and cosy bed beckons. I wonder what pleasures are laying in wait for us tomorrow?. Good night all. 

• Like 9

8 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

There's something comforting about being in bed on a boat, with the "pitter patter" sound of rain drops on the cabin top. 

It's like that in the caravan ... except when the pitter patter belongs to a pack of seagulls!!

We're up and about and walking up the path to have breakfast at Bridge Stones,

I recommend this place to everybody

Couldn't agree more. It's one of our favourite places around the Broads. We visit quite often. 

Enjoyed reading about your day. Hope the blue skies return for you.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lulu said:

Potter is the plan today. We are just doing small cruises to try and get Lulu (our hound) used to the boat. 

Just got up ready to go back to Richos mum and dad seem to be still battened down. Bye every body, will be back on line tonight when we get home

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ray said:

Many thanks for your kind words about Dakota ST, our pride and joy despite being the usual money pit 🙂

You're welcome Ray, and it's well deserved, she really is a stunner. In fact, she's my perfect boat for two. Wite GRP Hull, varnished timber top, fwd dv. 

• Thanks 1

Punctuality has never been my strong point, though in my defence, every where we went, we couldn't hook up to wi fi. 

We wake up to cold and very damp morning. Not rain, but condensation. We were told to moor in Richo's Central basin the day before, but noticed a Herbert Woods boat moored and hooked up, so we did the same. I decided to get up and shower a bit early in case any of Richo's staff knocked on the door. With Karen up and dressed, I filled up with water, and we walked round to reception to pay for our nights stay. I told them we'd hooked up because on an earlier visit, that's what we were tol what too do. Imagine my surprise at being told we were not supposed to do that. I offered to pay but was told don't bother, and that if the management wanted to speak to me, they would come and see me.  On our way back to Lightning, we decided to have a breakfast bap from the on site takeaway "Griddlers", Karen having a bacon bap, and me sausage egg and cheese, which were rather yummy.  We got back to Lightning, set off, and had a very pleasant cruise down the Ant, taking in the sheer beauty of mother nature.  We had a bit of fun at Ludham Bridge, when a wherry yacht lowered its mast and then came to a sudden halt, just a few yards from the bridge, so I gave Lightning some gas and quickly got by, much to Karen's dismay. We got to the Bure, and headed for our first stop at Thurne to go to Ramblers, Liz wasn't there yesterday, so it was a quick diversion on our way to Stacey, where we wanted to moor for the night to get an early start for Breydon. We turned into Thurne dyke to be greeted by none other than Lulu and Selsie. We invited them aboard Lightning for a chat. After a while, they had to get back to the dog, and we wanted to get to the shop. It turned out, Liz saw something that Karen would like re penguins while on holiday abroad, so bought it for her. The people of Norfolk are a really considerate and generous bunch. We got back underway, and soon reached Stacey to find it almost empty, unlike when we past on Sunday, picked our spot, and got moored up. We walked to the shop, only to find it's a real Aladins cave, which is surprising when it looks so small from the river. It was also nice to meet her goats too. We got back to Lightning, and found TV reception wS really poor, so watched a couple of DVDs, tonight's viewing pleasure was US Marshalls and Shall We Dance. After watching films, it was time for bed, but not til after  I had a look up at the stars on a bright clear night sky, what a shame the street lights cause so much light pollution. 

Good night all. 

• Like 7

We've never been cruising at 6.30 am, but in one, "WOW", what an amazing experience, and one we WILL be doing again. 

Because of bridge clearance requirements, and the fact we are currently experiencing some very high tides, it was necessary to get away early, so I was up before 6.00am, showered, and ready to go by 6.30. I thought we may be punching the tide, so left a bit earlier than planned. As we're cruising along, I can see the tide is still ebbing, and we were going pretty quick even at 5 mph. So I throttled back to about 4 mph, and really enjoyed the early morning sun with mist rolling across the water, truly stunning, why haven't we done this before?. 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

We've never been cruising at 6.30 am, but in one, "WOW", what an amazing experience, and one we WILL be doing again. 

Because of bridge clearance requirements, and the fact we are currently experiencing some very high tides, it was necessary to get away early, so I was up before 6.00am, showered, and ready to go by 6.30. I thought we may be punching the tide, so left a bit earlier than planned. As we're cruising along, I can see the tide is still ebbing, and we were going pretty quick even at 5 mph. So I throttled back to about 4 mph, and really enjoyed the early morning sun with mist rolling across the water, truly stunning, why haven't we done this before?. 

Brilliant early cruising and most likely the only ones moving enjoy your last couple of days. Look out for you next year

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

. . . . . . . . . .  and really enjoyed the early morning sun with mist rolling across the water, truly stunning, why haven't we done this before?. 

Couldn't agree more.  A wonderful time of the day to get going.  There's something special about being first to disturb the calm, mirrored water as the sun rises.

We did the same back in April, the last time we were on Moonlight Shadow.  We moored at Langley Dyke (awful place!) and needed an early start to make slack water at Yarmouth.  It was quite misty when we set off, but it soon cleared and turned into a beautiful day.

20190408_060555.jpg

20190408_064823.jpg

20190408_072620.jpg

• Like 4

nothing as good as early morning cruising with a hint of  mist on the water, just ghosting along at minimum revs, I did the trip up from Stracey in August I looked out of the window, and saw the tide still in flood and just took advantage running up to Potter with the tide in that early morning peace and quiet, breakfasting at Bridgestones one I had transited the bridge (they do quite a nice breakfast).

• Like 3