Now Here's A Novelty

Gracie

58 minutes ago, addicted said:

I was astonished as I'd never come across that attitude anywhere else and -  I still haven't.

Motorbike rallies are similar, you must have noticed the number of bikers that nod or wave on the roads, they rarely know each other.

When Tan & I married we spent our honeymoon on Narrow Boat run by Mr Dye from Dycraft. 

On the run through of the boat Mr Dye went for ages about the shaver socket in the bathroom and eventually looked at me and commented but you may not need that. 

We opened our case which had been docketed with some form of confetti bomb that shot confetti all over the boat.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Smoggy said:

Motorbike rallies are similar, you must have noticed the number of bikers that nod or wave on the roads, they rarely know each other.

Can't say I have noticed that but I have noticed that they tend to "hunt" in packs!

Carole

20 hours ago, Jayfire said:

I'm sure the only thing funny about it will be if I fall in. And for the last ruddy time, you're not wearing heels, save them for the evening in the pub, not the ruddy kayak :facepalm:

I would love to be a fly on the riverbank! I think a dedicated photographer might be an idea, plenty of ‘action’ shots for the 2020 calendar. 🤭😄

• Haha 2

We have many many happy memories of holidaying on the Broads, starting our adventures in 2008 and sometimes managing 3 holidays a year trying out different hire boats.

But our best memory has to be our honeymoon, we have met so many beautiful life long friends over the years and we had a 2nd wedding reception at Salhouse on the middle weekend of the fortnight, yes GRIFF I still have a bit of confetti left in my tiara box from your antics on board our boat while we helmed the beautifully decorated Boards Ambition in a convoy from St Bennets to Salhouse, guys honestly he hid it everywhere, even our tub of butter in the fridge got it lol all amazing fun though.

We always make a point to meet up with friends whenever we are in the area, unfortunately we only managed one holiday last year and had to miss the year before completely but this year we have a Camping visit next month for 6 nights at Beccles so be involved in the Wooden Boat Show and then a week booked on board Richos Classic San Marino in September where we are meeting with friends for a jolly get together again and our wedding anniversary, canny wait I tell ya :default_wub: 

• Like 8

Real Landrovers, That is Series 1, 2, 3, 110, 90 and Defender, wave to each other as they pass..

As for assisting others, for the last 40 plus years, I've rescued more tourists than sailors. everything from broken gear boxes, loss of steering, unable to get off the bank due to the wind, plus falling in canoeists, rowers and paddlers who can't make it against the wind (an increasing number) to the normal questions, how far to the nearest Pub? and how far to AH-cle.

Only a four weeks  till I do it all again.. Horning Regatta week is coming..:default_icon_mrgreen::594c04f0e761f_default_AnimatedGifVehiclessaily:

On 04/07/2019 at 11:40, addicted said:

While we were going round different brokerages I noticed people greeting my husband in a very friendly way and commented how amazing it was  that they recognised him after so long away from the boating scene. He roared with laughter and  explained that in "boating" everybody speaks to everybody as if they are acquainted and in the main  are really friendly and helpful.  I was astonished as I'd never come across that attitude anywhere else and -  I still haven't.

Carole

It reminds me of a bit from Coot Club:

"It was very lucky he knew you," said Starboard

"E didn't," said the skipper.

"But he called you Jack."

"They calls all sailormen Jack"

"And you called him Bob," said Port.

"Is 'is name Bob? I didn't know. I 'ad to call 'im something"

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, vanessan said:

I would love to be a fly on the riverbank! I think a dedicated photographer might be an idea, plenty of ‘action’ shots for the 2020 calendar. 🤭😄

2 hours ago, vanessan said:

And kayakers too? :default_norty:

You're getting excited about the possibility of me going into the water aren't you Mrs V, or could you possibly be hoping it on Grace instead???? :default_smiley-angelic002:

As many will know,I have been up on the broads since the sixties. Never get bored with it.In fact hopefully in a few years Marina and I hope to retire to the broads.Most folk are friendly, some not(think they must be sad).A few years back we moored at the Ferry Reedham,I helped one chap to moor.I did not realise the wood was in such a bad state,pulling him in ,one leg went in the yare one not.Another time in Neatishead I helped about four boats moor,they were nervous doing so,so I took over the helm,only to lose my very expensive sun glasses. Still.never mind.Thats what the broads are about helping one another.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

You're getting excited about the possibility of me going into the water aren't you Mrs V, or could you possibly be hoping it on Grace instead???? :default_smiley-angelic002:

Nothing could be further from my thoughts! 🤥

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Will she be wearing a t-shirt?     :default_hiding:

:default_norty: well if I'm not in the bad books and I have anything to do with it, once we get mid broad or somewhere secluded she won't be wearing anything at all.........hey, stop trying to perv at my lady Mr MM :default_eusa_naughty:

43 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

The thought of your Gracie in a wet t-shirt makes me look like Bennie Hill on Crack Cocaine .

Erm, I've no idea who that is, but I feel a friendly warning not to overstep the mark may be needed just incase Mr MM, I may be completely misunderstanding of course, in which case I apologise :default_smile:

Benny Hill (not sure why I typed "Bennie") was a very un PC comic of the 60s and 70s. one of his characters was a lecherous old fool in a dirty raincoat. 

Certainly don't wish to overstep the mark matey, and my apologies if I have. All was meant in fun.

Benny Hill.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Benny Hill (not sure why I typed "Bennie") was a very un PC comic of the 60s and 70s. one of his characters was a lecherous old fool in a dirty raincoat. 

Certainly don't wish to overstep the mark matey, and my apologies if I have. All was meant in fun.

Ahh no worries MM, I assumed knowing who was making the comment it was meant in jest and I have to admit I was boozing and moody last night so my apologies for the confusion :default_smile:

6 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

You???? 

Boozing ???????

Never would have thought of such a thing. We in the Temperance wing of the NBN have no idea of the concept. 

I know, I know, me boozing is almost as unbelievable as you claiming abstinence :default_smile:

My dad who now has dementia and is almost blind tells me frequently how much he enjoyed his time when he my 2 brothers and I hired a boat on the broads a few years ago. It brings a huge smile to his face and a smile to mines as well as a wee teer.  I have promised that we will go again in the next few months if only for a long weekend. There is somthing incredible about a holiday on the broads that makes it so memorable, a mix of the boat, the scenery, the friendliness, everyone working together. The ability to relax and really enjoy each other’s company. 

Andrea and I are going again for her 50 th Birthday. So looking forward to it. It’s the whole experience 

• Like 5