Angry Fisherman

Lastdraft

4 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

No Jay the second one was you.....:default_laugh:

So Gracie told me.

I'm going to be really mature about this Smoggy...

9be52f2275e10709fedd1d9e861f2bb6--smiling-anim.jpg.74950364c28a5220cfc17e12642b7c34.jpg

Still she's never complained yet :default_norty:

Best one I had was about 10 years ago. Pushing a pontoon, was probably about 50ft long total length, loaded with 8ton of piles, powered and steered by a 30hp Yam, so not manoeuvrable. 

They were fishing in the middle of the river and I went straight through about 5 sets of lines. They were quite angry to say the least. They followed me back to the site we were working on, moored up, came storming onto the site to find about 8 builders/piles etc holding hammers and chainsaws..... They rapidly calmed down. 

It's kind of like playing football in the road when you were a kid, you expect to see cars so you get out of the way. Evidently this is too much hassle.

Ok, all my messing aside, I do have to confess (under duress from my girl) that I haven't had any issues with any of those weird string and pole types, they've either just gone about their business without any bother to me, or been (very occasionally) pleasant and waved or said hi and such as I've passed.

They have thanked me many a time for giving them a wide berth and moved when I've pointed out I'm about to moor up where they have decided to fish from, maybe they realised it was happening whether they liked it or not, I dunno.

The only time I have encountered anyone not shifting to make room was in Rockland staithe early in the year when I was the lone boat surrounded by anglers with lines all around, with careful movements and a few sarcastic words (I know, so unusual for me) everyone managed to live another day.

Maybe, just maybe, they aren't all that bad really, and the bad ones create the problem for the good ones just like the idiots on boats speeding and such create the discussion about considerate users and those not so suited to our waterways.

4 hours ago, Gracie said:
4 hours ago, Gracie said:

You can buy night lights that insert into the top of your float, normally bright green ones, non fisher folk may think I need to get out more when I say this but it's so exciting watching that little light disappear under the water when you get a bite

I used to love night fishing more than the day fishing for that reason .... Maybe I need to get a life too lol

• Like 1

I had a bit of a secret weapon when it came to both irate anglers and irate boaters in the shape of an Uncle Albert. The thing with Uncle Albert was he had a knack of annoying the hell out of people, particularly me, while being polite and more skilful than the people he was antagonising. Uncle Albert had 'views' about modern angling. Let me correct that? Uncle Albert had VIEWS about modern angling.

Uncle Albert served his apprenticeship as a young angler carrying my great grandfather's fishing tackle to and from the bank. When great grandad returned from WW1 his wounds were such that he was unable to work, so to provide for his family he earned a living from fishing matches and side bets on the outcome. My Dad, from the age of six, would carry the old boy's fishing tackle for him and accompany him to attend matches across Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and Norfolk lugging tackle, a small tent, primus stove and crockery on public transport.

Uncle Albert blamed cantankerous modern anglers on the amount and type of equipment they bring to the bank. He would often watch fishermen tackle up and make comments about how long D-Day preparations took. On his last trip afloat, I can remember sitting with him watching someone prepare a peg for fishing on the Thurne. The angler arrived at 9 am on a Saturday morning. It took him about an hour and a half to carry all of his gear from his car to his peg. A further hour to put up his bivvy, his bed, his rod pod, bait table, folding tackle table and finally his rods. I was eager to move on for the day's cruise but Uncle Albert wanted to 'stay here and watch this idiot'. So stay for the day we did.

We thought the angler was about to tackle up, but he returned to his car and making several trips brought a black plastic dustbin, 3 stone bag of chicken feed, a stone bag of trout pellets, several kilo's of groundbait and finally a cordless drill attached with a paint mixer. The angler then spent an hour mixing up the feed, pellets, groundbait, several pints of maggots, chopped worms and several tins of sweetcorn in the dustbin with the drill. He then started to 'ball' the groundbait into the river. The bombardment lasted for an hour.
"I reckon he's trying to fill the river in so he can walk across and pick the fish up off the bottom!" declared Uncle Albert.

Four and a half hours into his fishing trip the angler got around to tackling up his rods. It was now 1:30 pm. The angler cast into the middle of the river where he had piled all of his groundbait seconds before the first of the new hire cruiser crews came down river. The intrepid angler spent the next four hours hurling abuse at passing boats and catching nothing. At 5:30 pm he started to pack up his gear and carry it all back to his car.
"Come on lad, we're off!" said Uncle Albert.
"Where are we going?" 
"About a quarter of a mile down stream of where this pillock threw a weeks wages into the water!" said a gleeful Uncle Albert just as the angler trudged past us with his wheelbarrow.

As a side note, I still own all of my great grandfather's fishing tackle. His custom built split cane rods specially adapted for his injuries, his centre pin reels presented to him by Allcocks (which I still use), his reed fishing 'basket' and his homemade landing and keep nets, the nets (which I don't use) all hand crocheted by my great grandmother.

• Like 4

We used moor on the river Great Ouse and the fishermen there were on the whole a hostile nasty lot .We were pleasantly surprised by the altogether more friendly attitude of the fishermen on the Yare. We can honestly say we have not once been subjected to verbal abuse in the 10 seasons we have had here.

Carole

18 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Serious question - is it possible to fish at night?

Just come down to the Swan Green in Horning at a weekend  and you'll often see a little tent up and the Fishermen there all night. These days they tend to use sounders which go off if something fishy pulls the line,..

They go off when you catch them with your keel as well, fishing just there during  the start of a race Sunday morning isn't a good idea..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

To be quite honest about this, the fisherfolks who manage to annoy the bejeesus out of me each and every time I see them are those that insist that they moor far enough from the end of a mooring to put up several thousand pounds worth of gear. This space repeated down many moorings , Ludham Dyke being a prime example prevents multiple boats mooring up due to the essential fishing space. 

In one of our tales I encountered two such boats with humongous amounts of fishing gear between the two boats. Funnily enough they thought they had made the gap too small. They were wrong and the resulting reluctance to move their gear to facilitate mooring ensured a call to broads beat. We weren’t the first to report them and boys in blue caught up with them the next day. Their hire company did not do what the BBC did a few weeks ago and kick them off they just ignored the call stating we can’t ( won’t) do anything.

was a Gem of an experience 

• Like 2