Jump to content
  • Announcements

    Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

    Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

    Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

  • If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

    Forum Shop

boycee

Spirit Of Breydon On The Move

Recommended Posts

If you look closely KK and read the posts, you could get the impression that you seem to have already got, about the BA, but that is not necessarily the correct one.! You may also have spotted that there are a few hardened souls amongst us who tend to post an alternative view, when they feel it necessary. Its all in the good cause of balance!!

Lets just say that by the very nature these types of Forum, they have a tendency to attract one sort whilst,  I suspect, the vast majority stay away and don't even know they exist - or if they do know, don't wish to post.

So as far as I am concerned KK,  please drop into which pot you like to believe in and that which you think is correct -  because it is unlikely to change my view which as you may have already spotted, does not always agree with some other posters!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More than a little dissent along the river bank, we can't all be wrong. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, marshman said:

If you look closely KK and read the posts, you could get the impression that you seem to have already got, about the BA, but that is not necessarily the correct one.! You may also have spotted that there are a few hardened souls amongst us who tend to post an alternative view, when they feel it necessary. Its all in the good cause of balance!!

Lets just say that by the very nature these types of Forum, they have a tendency to attract one sort whilst,  I suspect, the vast majority stay away and don't even know they exist - or if they do know, don't wish to post.

So as far as I am concerned KK,  please drop into which pot you like to believe in and that which you think is correct -  because it is unlikely to change my view which as you may have already spotted, does not always agree with some other posters!!!

I would suggest there is a much larger third group who don't habitually attack or defend the BA but treat each topic on its individual merits.

As for the Rangers in all my years boating I have nothing but respect for all the full time rangers I have had the pleasure of meeting and have always been treated with courtesy and the utmost helpfulness, in years gone by I have also always found those auxiliaries I have had dealings with the same, I cant speak for some of the newer crop as I have so far not come into contact with some and have no idea as to their level of proficiency, when it comes to confrontational situations they do deal with them where necessary with considerable tact but surely where the situation escalates that is then broads beats area of operation as the rangers have very limited powers and I believe are under instruction not to put their personal safety at risk.

Fred

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having owned a boat on the broads now for 25 years, and having had many encounters with various rangers I have to say I have never had a negative experience even when they've been pointing out some shortcoming or other. 

I have found both the rangers and broads beat to be highly professional and helpful on all occasions.

I cannot deny the possibility that there can be bad apples in the bag, I have just never come across them.

Ok, you asked for good points to be put forwards, there's mine.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

I would suggest there is a much larger third group who don't habitually attack or defend the BA but treat each topic on its individual merits.

As for the Rangers in all my years boating I have nothing but respect for all the full time rangers I have had the pleasure of meeting and have always been treated with courtesy and the utmost helpfulness, in years gone by I have also always found those auxiliaries I have had dealings with the same, I cant speak for some of the newer crop as I have so far not come into contact with some and have no idea as to their level of proficiency, when it comes to confrontational situations they do deal with them where necessary with considerable tact but surely where the situation escalates that is then broads beats area of operation as the rangers have very limited powers and I believe are under instruction not to put their personal safety at risk.

Fred

A resounding ditto from me!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MauriceMynah said:

Having owned a boat on the broads now for 25 years, and having had many encounters with various rangers I have to say I have never had a negative experience even when they've been pointing out some shortcoming or other. 

I have found both the rangers and broads beat to be highly professional and helpful on all occasions.

I cannot deny the possibility that there can be bad apples in the bag, I have just never come across them.

Ok, you asked for good points to be put forwards, there's mine.

Oh dear, another resounding ditto! 🙂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And despite the supposed dictat, they are still talking to me - so alls well and as before!!!

So its another ditto!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just one small point, and it's a fact, less than half of the rangers are navigation rangers, just thought that you'd like to know!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Just one small point, and it's a fact, less than half of the rangers are navigation rangers, just thought that you'd like to know!

What are the others?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So will the navigation budget stretch to full time rangers all the year round?

I guess PW is suggesting that either that many are now volunteer Rangers or their contracts are such that they now cover a multitude of things like cutting trees or scrub bashing when not patrolling? But I guess he will let us know...!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

What are the others?

Conservation rangers. Rangers have become dual purpose but the downside appears to be that some rangers are being put in a boat whilst their expertise is in other disciplines, if you get my drift.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This time of the year I am often to be found at Reedham, Ranworth or Womack. Usually around 11am to 2pm,for lunch. Prior to picking up grandchildren  from school, going to Stressco's, the gym and all those jobs us busy pensioner's get up too.

Do you know what, and this is for several years now, I have never seen a ranger, out of his boat. Just generally  talking to holiday makers, private owners and visitors. Ever!

Would it not be beneficial  for the authority's representative on the river to be seen advising, helping, instructing, simply being approachable. If nothing else but to discuss those issues of speeding, inappropriate  behaviour and general safety concerns.

Andew

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was moored at 'deep go dyke' when a ranger boat turned up to do some grass cutting. The ranger apologised for disrupting the peace and quiet as he cut the grass by my boat. I have nothing but positive comments to make about the BA's front line people.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wussername said:

This time of the year I am often to be found at Reedham, Ranworth or Womack. Usually around 11am to 2pm,for lunch. Prior to picking up grandchildren  from school, going to Stressco's, the gym and all those jobs us busy pensioner's get up too.

Do you know what, and this is for several years now, I have never seen a ranger, out of his boat. Just generally  talking to holiday makers, private owners and visitors. Ever!

Would it not be beneficial  for the authority's representative on the river to be seen advising, helping, instructing, simply being approachable. If nothing else but to discuss those issues of speeding, inappropriate  behaviour and general safety concerns.

Andew

 

Absolutely spot on. Not too long ago, the quay rangers were very chatty, alert to problems, and generally very helpful and approachable. In fact, I seem to have it in mind that we even made one a cuppa at Reedham, but that must have been around 6 years back. Also, I can remember when they would give a wave of thanks if you kept your speed down. As I said in an earlier post, the ones we came across this year were rather off hand, not blatantly rude, but definitely off hand. It gets the BA a bad name when their staff don,t know how to positively interact with the very public they look out for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst it would seem a fantastic idea to have people wandering around  just chatting to boaters who  want to be talked to , my hope is that that does not come out of my contribution to the Nav budget!!!  For what its worth, and clearly most don't agree, I would prefer to see them out on the river - and no, they don't need to wave to me, just as I don't feel the need to wave to every other boater that waves to me! I would think it is almost impossible for the Ranger who does Wroxham/Horning to wave at every boat - his arm would fall off!!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want or need Rangers to wave frantically at or to me. However, I usually give a nod towards them if they seem to be looking my way. If they feel the need to speak to me about something this would give them the opening they need, rather than passing by, turning round and perhaps using blue lights. (This hasn't been needed yet-but they may be times when they feel the need to remind me of something!) If the Ranger acknowledges my nod, then I may be more inclined to share something less important than I may do otherwise. It's about body language, there are times when Rangers need us, and maybe the above would apply also to them. We all share the rivers, I am not a constant waver, but we return the wave if sometimes waves to me, and usually wave to younger children, I don't think such gestures on the rivers would be misinterpreted. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 11:27, MauriceMynah said:

I was moored at 'deep go dyke' when a ranger boat turned up to do some grass cutting. The ranger apologised for disrupting the peace and quiet as he cut the grass by my boat. I have nothing but positive comments to make about the BA's front line people.

You make me laugh MM

In World war 1 and 2 our front line "People" dodged bullets, in your world they cut grass! :default_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things have changed only little KK. In ww1 they dodged bullets, today they dodge Dr. Packman !!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Things have changed only little KK. In ww1 they dodged bullets, today they dodge Dr. Packman !!

Or they dodge the teddies as they exit the pram on their way to being recycled!

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KaptinKev said:

You make me laugh MM

In World war 1 and 2 our front line "People" dodged bullets, in your world they cut grass! :default_biggrin:

And only a couple of years ago I wouldn’t be surprised if they smoked it too , if memory serves me right there was more than 100 mature plants growing in Ranworth Dyke .

 

seriously though , to date I have not encountered a Ranger who wasn’t approachable and fair with me , a few weeks ago I was advised that I should display my registration number on both sides of my bow (only had them on starboard) I apologised and said I would get it sorted , all was agreed verbally no notices issued etc , a couple of weeks later I passed same Ranger at Irstead , pointed to my new numbers Portside and was given a big thumbs up and a smile .

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/07/2019 at 13:12, marshman said:

 and no, they don't need to wave to me, just as I don't feel the need to wave to every other boater that waves to me! I would think it is almost impossible for the Ranger who does Wroxham/Horning to wave at every boat - his arm would fall off!!

MM. Where does the wave bit which you seem to attach a degree of significance relate to that all important personal relationship between the BA ranger, in this instance the helm, on a one to one basis. Which in my opinion has been neglected. The Ranger is unable to achieve an impact, an influence from the  confines of his launch. He needs to reach out beyond. To be approachable to all. He is not going to achieve that from your ideal of cruising  up and down the river. Unless of course you are able to convince me otherwise.

Andrew

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/07/2019 at 13:37, johnb said:

I don't want or need Rangers to wave frantically at or to me. 

Do they wave frantically. I don't think so. A discrete acknowledgement when appropriate to the conditions. A polite recognition which I find a respectful greeting on the river. Long may it continue.

Andrew 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being a bit picky, I didn't say that Rangers wave frantically, I said I didn't want or need them to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 19:28, MauriceMynah said:

Things have changed only little KK. In ww1 they dodged bullets, today they dodge Dr. Packman !!

And they wonder why the likes of me get a bad image of BA!

(For clarification I am referring to the Broads Authority and not to Broad Ambition)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

I don't think I could really give much opinion either way that would change anybody else's mind, but I have found the rangers to generally be courteous in terms of giving the accustomed wave we all aim to maintain on the waters. 

I haven't ever seen them talking to or giving advice to people moorside to be honest, but neither have I ever needed them enough to call for their aid either.

The exception being when my engine wouldn't shut off and the ranger, flagged down by a neighbouring boat, jumped over and despite not being able to help had a look and a go before pointing out the nearest mooring they had noticed was free (not easy in mid August) so we could get somebody out to sort us out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • NBN Mobile App

    Want to use NBN when you're out and about?

    Get our mobile app for Android and iOS!

    Get it on Google Play

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.