Spirit Of Breydon On The Move

boycee

Hi all,

We thought you would like some accurate information about the number and role of our Rangers:

We have a single Ranger Team with 12 full-time Rangers year-round, 2 Winter Weekend Rangers and 6 Summer Seasonal Rangers all of whom are trained and capable of performing a multitude of tasks including both 'navigational' duties and 'conservation' duties (such as tree management and bankside clearance). We also have 40 active Volunteer Rangers who also receive a high level of training and are absolutely invaluable in providing support to our staff.

In total, 60% of Ranger time is devoted to 'navigational' duties which is paid for from navigation income.

Engaging with the public, providing advice and offering assistance to visitors where possible is a key part of the working remit for all of our Rangers - our staff certainly haven't been discouraged to undertake these duties.

As we hope you can understand, there are often pressures created by the fact that we have limited resources and a large area to work on, so sometimes Rangers may be preoccupied and unable to have a chat. If this is the case and you are ever in need of help, we would always urge you to call Broads Control on 01603 756056 so we can log your incident and get you assistance if required.

It's pleasant to see so many reports of positive experiences with our front line staff being discussed in this thread, however I can see some criticisms too. Without knowing details of the particular incident it's difficult to comment, but please remember that if you are ever unhappy with how any of our staff have dealt with you, please get in touch with us and let us know by using our online contact form and we will follow up if appropriate.

Thanks!

Tom

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

We recently spent 9 days going from the North to the South and back again. We only saw a ranger boat on days 8 & 9 when we returned North.

One thing that does make us curious is that we often see more rangers out and about  Autumn through to Spring, rather than in the high season. Just an observation. 

Certainly would not criticise the ranger service but would much prefer a greater presence.

• 3 months later...

Apparently SOB has had her BA decals reinstalled and I note that she's no longer with the brokers. I can only guess that she's been withdrawn from sale & is being recommissioned by the Authority. 

She was always going to be a difficult boat to sell, especially locally where her penchant for being moored up at the boatyard is regretfully all too well known.  

• Confused 1

Better being used rather than deteriorating in some brokers mooring where there has probably been little interest so perhaps the best is being made of a bad job.  At least the boatyard engineers will have a reliable meal ticket so some good will come of it!  Perhaps not the wisest choice of broker. Inevitably the Authority is in a no win situation on this one but it is a problem of their own making.

Apparently there was some interest in the boat, but she was not sold. As you surmised she is now I understand back in the fleet and presumably will go back to patrolling Breydon, and breaking down!!!

What interest there was, apparently came from the South Coast, or at least in that general direction.

Edited by marshman

9 hours ago, marshman said:

What interest there was, apparently came from the South Coast, or at least in that general direction.

Apparently there was limited interest from Lowestoft and questions were at least asked. As it appears that the decision was made  by September I am surprised that her reincorporation within the fleet was not mentioned in the Broads Briefing, that might have lessened the inevitably humorous comment  along the rhond! Down South she might have found a roll in such as Chichester Harbour but I suspect that the demand was severely limited. No reason why she shouldn't remain for sale whilst patrolling Breydon though. 

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/broads-authority-sell-spirit-of-breydon-1-6160569

There is a picture of SOB in all her new glory on a Broads news F/B page, with RANGER in extra very  large letters on her side. In truth I suppose the BA is making the best of a bad job but I do tend to agree that she should have gone to the highest bidder but even then they would have been criticised! 

BA Tom, should you see this then perhaps you could look out some answers for me and maybe others. During the BA's ownership just how many engines or engine rebuilds has the SOB had please? There can be little doubt that SOB has had more than her fair share of down time, can you comment on that too? 

Perhaps, if SOB's problems are engine related, then the BA should consider asking such as Richardsons to re-engine her for Broads use. Broads hire yards do have considerable experience in fitting out boats with engines that run faultlessly for months and even years without major problems.

I would say her builders namely Goodchild Marine have as much knowledge, if not more than any yard in the area, just look at the refits they have done for the RNLI.

I remember this craft being introduced and quite alot was made of the engine install being " Low Emission". My question is:- "have the problems been with DPF"? I can see a problem with this craft if so fitted because unlike a rescue craft, which really only have two speeds, flat out and stop this boat could do hours of light load or idle, leading to insufficient exhaust gas temperature. Many marine, genny and industrial installs have found that they need both DOC (passive) and some form of active regeneration to avoid problems.

Anyway the fact is : If this craft has been so beset with engine failure a combination of the BA, Goodchilds and the engine manufacturer should have been able to sort this long ago.

These Aquabells are available in a miriad of specifications for use by marine industries, are MCA cat 2 etc. I can't see how this boat has been allowed to become such a liability as to require disposal. Probably not enough consultation between the three key project owners at specification stage.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Have they put the reg number in the right place this time, I'd hate to see it with a non-conformity notice on it.

Many a true word spoken in jest.

I believe the rear registration number is on the superstructure and not the hull.....

:default_gbxhmm:

3 hours ago, ChrisB said:

I would say her builders namely Goodchild Marine have as much knowledge, if not more than any yard in the area, just look at the refits they have done for the RNLI.

Chris, I agree, but nevertheless there does appear to have been near continuous mechanical problems with the SOB, allegedly relating to the original choice of engine.  It must be remembered that the SOB was a cancelled order and that perhaps that had something to do with it. SOB may well have had a subsequent change of engine type, I don't know, but the harsh reality is that SOB does appear to have suffered a questionable series of down times.  Hopefully Tom will be able to come up with the facts.

My feeling, for what it's worth, is that she should be treated as a displacement craft, powered & propped for towing on the Broads, rather than as a planing hull for coastal use. Granted that she wouldn't be able to access casualties so quickly but she might be more reliable and thus have a greater presence on the water. 

To-date the problems don't appear to have been overcome thus my suggestion for an alternative yard and with it fresh thinking. I am not questioning Goodchild's undoubted ability.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

BA Tom, should you see this then perhaps you could look out some answers for me and maybe others. During the BA's ownership just how many engines or engine rebuilds has the SOB had please? There can be little doubt that SOB has had more than her fair share of down time, can you comment on that too? 

Perhaps, if SOB's problems are engine related, then the BA should consider asking such as Richardsons to re-engine her for Broads use. Broads hire yards do have considerable experience in fitting out boats with engines that run faultlessly for months and even years without major problems.

Hi Peter,

The original engine on Spirit of Breydon (SOB) was replaced under warranty shortly after it was first commissioned after developing a fault (this wasn't an issue that could have been foreseen I have been told), resulting in some down time.

We had listed SOB up for sale earlier this year as part of our launch replacement strategy. However, no suitable offers were made and so rather than selling her at a price we weren't happy with, we have recently decided to replace the engine on her. The new engine is a more suitable and efficient one which will reduce running costs and reduce carbon emissions as a step towards our commitment to be carbon neutral by 2040.

As with all of our launches we do have occasional mechanical issues which is part of running vessels on a daily basis and SOB was no exception to this. The launches, including SOB, are also all taken out of service each year for their annual maintenance checks.

Tom

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

Thank you, Tom, as ever much appreciated. Will watch further developments with renewed interest.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

6 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

My feeling, for what it's worth, is that she should be treated as a displacement craft, powered & propped for towing on the Broads, rather than as a planing hull for coastal use. Granted that she wouldn't be able to access casualties so quickly but she might be more reliable and thus have a greater presence on the water. 

I don't know any of the actual circumstances but this, I certainly agree with.

I think it fair to suggest that the SOB was probably bought in ignorance but suitably re-engined she could be a good workhorse. Aquabells are well proven hulls and perhaps with a dis-mountable derrick, as well as top hamper, she might prove herself as a useful 'muscle' boat. Poncing backwards and forwards across Breydon, with the odd extended vacation at the boatyard, has given rise to some less than complimentary but understandable reactions to her original purchase. She was predictably unsuited to her previous, much vaunted roll. However, tomorrow is another day, as a suitably powered workboat I would like to think that the Authority has made the right decision, this time, in reactivating the SOB. 

• Like 5

On 18/11/2019 at 16:45, JennyMorgan said:

Thank you, Tom, as ever much appreciated. Will watch further developments with renewed interest.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

Thanks Peter,

I've asked regarding the engine specs for your interest, although the member of staff most in the know with regards to the new engine is on leave at the moment. Will be able to update you next week, give me a gentle nudge if I forget!

Tom

• Thanks 2