Visual Deficiency Syndrome

Poppy

9 minutes ago, Poppy said:

It's not IMHO

And there's the great thing about a friendly forum, we can differ in opinion in a civilised way without any bad feeling!

:default_beerchug:

• Like 1

Just a couple of questions given that parking fines have been brought up, this would mean a clarification of the terms  "Parent" and that of "child"

1. Does the term "parent" include Grandparent?

2. Does the parent have to be THE parent of THAT child in the car?

3. Does the parent actually have to be a parent?

4. How old/young does the child have to be?

5. Does the child have to leave the car?

If one can be fined, one should have the right of appeal. If one can appeal, there have to be clear and defined rules allowing both sides to argue their case.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Just a couple of questions given that parking fines have been brought up, this would mean a clarification of the terms  "Parent" and that of "child"

1. Does the term "parent" include Grandparent?

2. Does the parent have to be THE parent of THAT child in the car?

3. Does the parent actually have to be a parent?

4. How old/young does the child have to be?

5. Does the child have to leave the car?

If one can be fined, one should have the right of appeal. If one can appeal, there have to be clear and defined rules allowing both sides to argue their case.

I'll be stopping at the Coop at lunchtime so read the new signage properly, but I can answer 4 & 5 .... 12 or under and yes. I doubt very much that the answer to any of 1 - 3 would be would be anything other than no, as how are they going to tell from a cctv feed?

6 minutes ago, Paul said:

I'll be stopping at the Coop at lunchtime so read the new signage properly, but I can answer 4 & 5 .... 12 or under and yes. I doubt very much that the answer to any of 1 - 3 would be would be anything other than no, as how are they going to tell from a cctv feed?

1. Why would Grandparents not be included ?  It's not uncommon for us to look after the Grandchildren. Why should we not be able to use P&C spots when they are with us ?

2. There will be circumstances where the accompanying children will not be those of the driver for good reason.

3. You don't want to go there  :default_norty::default_biggrin:

TWELVE !!!!! 

I'm not shooting the messenger here but in all honesty I would have been less irritated if the upper age limit was 5 or there abouts. What justification can there possibly be for special parking facilities for a mother and her 10 year old child. That's outrageous!

Poppy, I see no difference between a parent, grandparent or even a friend of the family for the purposes of this thread, BUT if rules are to be policed, and penalties available, then the rules have top be clear as to what is and is not allowed. Am I allowed to park there if I have my niece and her child in my car? if they choose not to come in with me do I then have to move?

Yes I know I'm being "picky" but if I'm wrong and get an £80 fine, then I feel I have the right to be picky.

30 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Yes I know I'm being "picky" but if I'm wrong and get an £80 fine, then I feel I have the right to be picky.

I suppose it depends on whether there is any intention of actually fining people or whether the fines are threatened to encourage appropriate use and mollify people who complain about abuse.

• Like 1

I often wonder why the mother and child bays are right outside the entrances where it is most busy, mothers with child are not usually disabled and have mobility problems and if there child ran of when lifting them from the car on to the ground they are more likely to get run over where if they moved this type of bay to one side where less movement it would be safer for the child and less likely to be used by non conformers who are just nipping in to shop. John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coryton said:

I suppose it depends on whether there is any intention of actually fining people or whether the fines are threatened to encourage appropriate use and mollify people who complain about abuse.

No, sorry but I can't agree with that. If there is the threat of a fine then there has to be a crystal clear explanation as to who may do what.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Poppy said:

1. Why would Grandparents not be included ?  It's not uncommon for us to look after the Grandchildren. Why should we not be able to use P&C spots when they are with us ?

2. There will be circumstances where the accompanying children will not be those of the driver for good reason.

3. You don't want to go there  :default_norty::default_biggrin:

Sorry, I think I got that a bit the wrong way round, meaning to say they would not be excluded. 

3 hours ago, annv said:

I often wonder why the mother and child bays are right outside the entrances where it is most busy, mothers with child are not usually disabled and have mobility problems and if there child ran of when lifting them from the car on to the ground they are more likely to get run over where if they moved this type of bay to one side where less movement it would be safer for the child and less likely to be used by non conformers who are just nipping in to shop. John

In many Supermarkets they are not, the ones I use regularly they are away from the store entrance but giving easy access without having to walk along the roads, often on the far side of the disable bays, such as Asda at Vauxhall and most Aldis.

2 hours ago, vanessan said:

Can the supermarkets or whoever actually fine people? Do they have that right?

No, they have no right to fine anyone, no more than you or I do. They can however apply a parking charge which you agree to pay when you park your car on their property other than in accordance with the signage, i.e. for longer than is permitted, not wholly within a marked bay or in a bay marked for restricted use, as long as such signange meets certain legal requirements on clarity and  positioning. That is why if you get a parking ticket from a local authority it is a Penalty Charge, whereas from any private organisation, such as a supermarket it is a Parking Charge. 

• Thanks 1