Hire Boats Mooring In Other Boat Yards

Coryton

10 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I do accept that mooring down south is less likely to be free but to average £7 a night seems excessive, or at least intentional.

The yacht stations and such are fairly expensive in comparison to most places if you want to use the electric so you can certainly ramp up the cost by using these for every night, you are of course perfectly able to spend a fortnight darn sarf and not spend a penny on mooring fees though, so it must be intentional. 

At the end of the day though you moor where you want to be, and pay the cost to do so dont you. 

Do you come darn sarf much MM?

Yes, we were there 2 weeks ago, and the pontoon on the south side inside the basin was open, but the leccy wasn't garunteed due to problems, and it wasn't fully installed. They still wanted to charge £20 though. Oulton Broad Yacht Station alongside on the outside of the finger, plus hook up was£18.50, but much more worth it for all facilities, plus you have the added bonus of town facilities. 

20 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I didn't say it was impossible, I said it wasn't easy. Yes if you went out of your way to do it, no problem, but I do accept that mooring down south is less likely to be free but to average £7 a night seems excessive, or at least intentional.

If you want to be near facilities, pubs etc then I do think it's easily done.

Stern-on at OBYS is £13 with electric, and Beccles YS £13.50. That rises to £17.50 and £18 respectively if you need to be side-on! We encourage all of our owners to plug in whenever they can in order to keep the batteries in good condition.

• Like 1

I didn't say it was impossible, I said it wasn't easy. Yes if you went out of your way to do it, no problem, but I do accept that mooring down south is less likely to be free but to average £7 a night seems excessive, or at least intentional.

I’m not saying it is not intentional, just saying everything is a compromise. We may to moor and it out less. As the toll continues to rise whilst the availability of BA moorings reduces something has to give!

Although according to another thread on here as a public sector worker I am due to retire any day now with a gold plated salary and even possibly a knighthood. So it can’t all be bad!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

At the end of the day though you moor where you want to be, and pay the cost to do so dont you. 

Do you come darn sarf much MM?

1st point, yes I agree.

2nd point,

I do come south, but last year I became a little frustrated, especially on the Waveney, when I wanted some eggs and milk. I do prefer the northern waters even though I find the southern pubs to be (generally speaking) better.

I'm not fond of cities, even Norwich, so never shop there. Beccles is a delight as is Loddon, but these places are not enough to be a major draw for me. I love Coltishall and Horning, Wroxham is useful (but needs more and better pubs) Stalham is good too, Tesco's is available but the high street is nicer. Potter Heigham is there if needed (not keen on Lathams, but it serves) Ludham bridge also has a useful store.

All in all as I said before, I prefer the northern waters. In the height of the season it's full of people having fun and off season offers the tranquillity we so often talk about. 

Finally, as I seem to being told from all angles... It's a lot cheaper to moor up north. :-)

Just got back from 7 days hiring from Pacific Cruisers on Dawn

Friday - Coldham Hall and Surlingham Ferry - No charges

Saturday - Rockland Straithe then Reedham Ferry - No charges

Sunday - Stokesby and Horning Ferry - No charges (apart from the cost of the chocolates wife bought from The Ferry! :default_biggrin:)

Monday - Salhouse Broad Wroxham and Coltishall - £2 for 1 hour at Salhouse so the dog could have a paddle!

Tuesday - Wroxham and Ranworth - £10? (or £8) at The Island because I wanted to get to The Malsters, so rowed across

Wednesday - HW Porter Heigham, Thurne Dyke and Ludham Bridge (no room at Womack) - No charges

Thursday - Stracey Arms (about 30mins as I was a bit early for Breydon) Fishermans Arms Burgh Castle and Reedham - No charges

Friday - Back to Loddon

So, total mooring fees £12, but.....we stopped and ate and drank at lunchtime and evenings in pubs every day!

So I've done my bit for the pub industry of the broads!   :default_beerchug:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

I do come south, but last year I became a little frustrated, especially on the Waveney, when I wanted some eggs and milk. I do prefer the northern waters even though I find the southern pubs to be (generally speaking) better.

I'm not fond of cities, even Norwich, so never shop there. Beccles is a delight as is Loddon, but these places are not enough to be a major draw for me. I love Coltishall and Horning, Wroxham is useful (but needs more and better pubs) Stalham is good too, Tesco's is available but the high street is nicer. Potter Heigham is there if needed (not keen on Lathams, but it serves) Ludham bridge also has a useful store.

Oh my God MM, are you feeling alright?

You sounded more like a MaureenMynah there with far more talk of shops and shopping than my beloved Broads boozers

:default_beerchug:

14 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

True !!! I should have specified that apart from a little food I find the off licences essential. After all, the pubs don't open till 11am

Wouldn't know about the food, I never bother with that on holiday, takes up too much beer space, both in the fridge and my stomach, when enjoying a fine glass of Stella, eating is cheating :default_wink:

3 hours ago, Jayfire said:

Wouldn't know about the food, I never bother with that on holiday, takes up too much beer space, both in the fridge and my stomach, when enjoying a fine glass of Stella, eating is cheating :default_wink:

Jay, if the fridge is full of beer where do you keep all that onion water you are always drinking LOL

7 minutes ago, Seagypsy said:

Jay, if the fridge is full of beer where do you keep all that onion water you are always drinking LOL

Beer snobbery should be a crime Seagypsy, and you should be put on trial :default_eusa_naughty:

As long as everyone is supping and happy it shouldn't matter their preference, anyway I'll drink anything :default_biggrin:

54 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

Beer snobbery should be a crime Seagypsy, and you should be put on trial :default_eusa_naughty:

As long as everyone is supping and happy it shouldn't matter their preference, anyway I'll drink anything :default_biggrin:

Hi Jay, 

My guess is that you have never drunk any Marksman Lager which uses to be the lager served in Sam Smiths pubs back in the day, when ever confronted with that brew it was best to drink black & tans or black velvet. 

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Jay, 

My guess is that you have never drunk any Marksman Lager which uses to be the lager served in Sam Smiths pubs back in the day, when ever confronted with that brew it was best to drink black & tans or black velvet. 

Regards

Alan

Sam Smiths, now there's a beer

2 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Jay, 

I'm not sure if I am on the same page as you Alan, but do you mean this Marksman Lager?

marksman.thumb.jpg.2e9cd05b026dfbf9eb4d33864f8cd344.jpg

I don't believe I have ever tried it myself although I do remember the optic I believe, I notice it is a similar abv to Carling, so that may well explain why I haven't allowed it past my discerning lips unless something better wasn't on offer :default_biggrin:

How is it that every other topic on here ends up with an in-depth discussion of the merits or otherwise of beers and lagers? I have serious doubts about whether certain folk are on their way to alcoholism! You know who you are!!

1 hour ago, Jayfire said:

I'm not sure if I am on the same page as you Alan, but do you mean this Marksman Lager?

marksman.thumb.jpg.2e9cd05b026dfbf9eb4d33864f8cd344.jpg

I don't believe I have ever tried it myself although I do remember the optic I believe, I notice it is a similar abv to Carling, so that may well explain why I haven't allowed it past my discerning lips unless something better wasn't on offer :default_biggrin:

Hi Jay, 

That looks a more modern light/tap. The old brew was not short of drinking razor blades and was a acquired taste I never could develop, almost but a long way short of bad as Carling in tins since they changed the recipe a few years ago.

Regards

Alan  

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hello Coolcat,

They used to be both in Tadcaster and drew from the same water, but only one brewery could draw water off at a time. I believe one brewery has moved elsewhere.

Regards

Alan

Believe they were bros Sams is still Tadcaster Johns is part of one of the big ones Scotish Newcastle I think

• Like 1

Hello Coolcat,

They used to be both in Tadcaster and drew from the same water, but only one brewery could draw water off at a time. I believe one brewery has moved elsewhere.

Regards

Alan

Well........You're never too old to learn something new:default_beerchug:

That looks a more modern light/tap. The old brew was not short of drinking razor blades and was a acquired taste I never could develop, almost but a long way short of bad as Carling in tins since they changed the recipe a few years ago.

Hmm, I'll be sure to give them a side step in all their guises then unless puss comes to shove.

I'll try and stick to my quality Stella, Kronies and the other premium beers instead :default_beerchug: