Hire Boats Mooring In Other Boat Yards

Coryton

Now getting back on track because as usual, JF has been hitting the bars rather of late!:default_biggrin:

I noticed on the HW webcam a few weeks ago that one of the NBD boats were moored there, and in the past I believe it has been mentioned the same boat yard will not let any other hire craft moor at their yard.

If I have got this right, NBD needs to give a little here, if not, they may be taking the P I double S

6 minutes ago, Seagypsy said:

San Remo Richardsons she a sedan 7ft 8in airdraft can't go through brdge

It's nice to know, as I thought NBD was a no go area for other boat yards. Or did you have like I did, someone bang on your roof 8am in the morning saying that you had to move on. Good times :(

5 minutes ago, KaptinKev said:

It's nice to know, as I thought NBD was a no go area for other boat yards. Or did you have like I did, someone bang on your roof 8am in the morning saying that you had to move on. Good times :(

No problems, last year we went right down past the Broads Tours boats but this year there was a notice saying we couldn't go there so we turned across the front of the tour boats and stern on to the car park and road. I asked in the office about leccy and they said just plug in

9 hours ago, KaptinKev said:

Were you moored in the section they reserve for their own returning boats? if so I would suggest you would get the same response everywhere, NBD do not allow Private craft or those from non federation yards in but do accommodate any boats from federation yards subject to available space.

Fred

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

Not exactly ‘discouraged’, they are totally prohibited!

Yes prohibited, but in fairness I took Nyx in there and as I approached the bank a fellow called out that I wasn't allowed to moor there.

I explained that I needed top get my dog to the vet, and the chap took my ropes, and tied the boat up whilst I carried my dog ashore. Ok, an emergency, but I reckon that if you have good reason to need a mooring, they will oblige.

To my shame, when I returned to the boat (very sadly without my dog) I just got on board and left without saying thank you. My mind was elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

A couple of year back, we moored in Herbert Woods yard for a pump out. I asked if they allowed private boats to moor, and the guy said yes, £10 per night including leccy.  I think the yards that don,t allow private boats to moor are missing a trick, when we moored at Pacific's a couple of weeks back, it cost a fiver, and Richard and Fiona were nice and friendly, result, we,d be happy to moor there again, plus they have leccy. Allowing private boats to moor is a money spinner, especially where HWs are concerned, as private boats could moor, and hire a day boat for a run up to Hickling etc. But with their no private policy, we,re now looking at walking to (or maybe a taxi because of my ankle) Martham Boats and hiring one of their picnic boats. Shame really, because I could have said we got under "that bridge". 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Yes prohibited, but in fairness I took Nyx in there and as I approached the bank a fellow called out that I wasn't allowed to moor there.

I explained that I needed top get my dog to the vet, and the chap took my ropes, and tied the boat up whilst I carried my dog ashore. Ok, an emergency, but I reckon that if you have good reason to need a mooring, they will oblige.

To my shame, when I returned to the boat (very sadly without my dog) I just got on board and left without saying thank you. My mind was elsewhere.

That is a very sad story. Good to know NBD can be sympathetic when needed. 

• Like 3

Hi, I realise there is a lot in this post about moorings , yards, private boats. A wee tiny question, We are hiring through Broom in Brundall, can any one tell me or point to a link ,in particular boat yards in the south that we could moor for free or if not, what the charge might be. 

Also can you reserve moorings in Norwich yacht station? I appreciate its high high season. 

Lovin the forum btw. The advice and banter 

• Like 2

You cannot reserve places on the 24 hr moorings and that includes the Yacht Stations - however at Norwich there is a fair old stretch of mooring  and whilst it can be busy, I suspect if you get there in good time, you will usually get in. I think there is over 500m of mooring and even after that there is a bit more outside of the Yacht Station itself. Be warned that if you stay overnight, it is beside a busy road - well possibly even by Norwich standards!!!!

Just now, Frankphughes said:

Many thanks Marshman. We will give it a try, Do you have any idea of the best time to arrive?

If you arrive before 17:00 you are virtually guaranteed a mooring , be warned there is a charge for overnight or short stay mooring and if in a weekend it gets very noisy from the bars nearby , and it has been known for boats to be untied by numpties after a night on the booze 

• Like 1

There are a lot of moorings at Norwich, so I would agree, as long as you don't leave it too late you should get in.

The Prince of Wales Road is nearby and it can get lively with the night life but this is mainly on Friday and Saturday nights, otherwise its OK - you may get some traffic noise from the Riverside Road which runs along the moorings. It is true that boats have been set adrift in the past although speaking to one of the rangers this is not a common occurrence. The advice is always drop your mud weight just as an added precaution. It might be better to avoid Friday and Saturday to be on the safe side although it would be quieter mooring upstream near Bishops Bridge where the main road starts to bend away from the river.

Norwich is not a quiet mooring as such but well worth it to be able to enjoy all that the City has to offer. Most places of interest are in reasonable walking distance too.

• Thanks 1