Martham Ferry Boats

2 hours ago, Kitch22 said:

Yes please, I noticed your name. You must be full of information:)

Hehe … yes, my grandfather was Cliff Patchett, partner and director of MFB from 1959 until 1992. He designed and oversaw the construction of the Cresta fleet. I was saddened to hear about the breaking up of Crestella, she was my favourite in the hire fleet and sailed very well, achieving awards in the Barton regatta. She was exhibited at the London boat show in ‘68 and had a special visitor as shown here in the photo (Ted Heath). Do I understand correctly that Crestadonna is still in existence? I note your profile photo appears to be her. I have many photos of her construction. I will upload them separately and share the link here since there are so many. I’m thinking of making a page with photos and information. 

BB6A9456-6A37-4033-87B2-24B62870F6AD.jpeg

• Like 6

That’s fantastic to hear, someone with some information. I have many stories concerning Cresta Donna. She was my dads pride and joy and now me and my brother are getting her back up to scratch. My email is kitch22@me.com and pictures would be very much appreciated. I was also sad to hear of so many Cresta’s being chopped up.

I have so many questions I don’t know where to start. Firstly I would like to restore as much as possible to original build. Were the sails just plain white? Any markings? Need new ones but want to get them as close to original as possible. Don’t have any spare ones kindling around do you? Haha 

36 minutes ago, Kitch22 said:

I have so many questions I don’t know where to start. Firstly I would like to restore as much as possible to original build. Were the sails just plain white? Any markings? Need new ones but want to get them as close to original as possible. Don’t have any spare ones kindling around do you? Haha 

Here she is with her original sails :)

3B21FDD3-97BA-45DD-B9F1-5F7766DF6CD0.jpeg

• Like 1

On 18/09/2021 at 13:07, Kitch22 said:

So what is the actual date of build completion for Cresta Donna? 1982? I will get a brass plate made for her with her original name, date of birth and MFB on it. 

We only fitted brass plates on the boats that were exhibited, which explains why Crestadonna doesn’t have one. Just in case you wondered

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone is interested in some photos of Martham Ferry Boatyard and the different boats in the 1960-80s, I have uploaded some here on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/194041782@N06/albums

The quality is not great since they are scans and some of these photos are almost 60 years old, but at least it gives an impression and helps some of us recall fond memories.

I will continue to add more info and photos as and when I discover them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

I recognise at least one of the boat builders in the Asaph pictures and clearly remember the yacht being moored in the Pleasure Boat dyke in the mid eighties one weekend at least, spoke to the owner at the time, looks like the guy with the glasses on. Lovely yacht, trust it is still about somewhere.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Patchett said:

In case anyone is interested in some photos of Martham Ferry Boatyard and the different boats in the 1960-80s, I have uploaded some here on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/194041782@N06/albums

The quality is not great since they are scans and some of these photos are almost 60 years old, but at least it gives an impression and helps some of us recall fond memories.

I will continue to add more info and photos as and when I discover them.

What a brilliant resource you are sharing there. Thank you. 

I remember those sheds as a child. I remember walking over the "bridges" between them and I remember looking at them in a much more dilapidated state about 16 years ago with a possible view to buying the site. 

I live up the top of the road and regularly walk down this way. Looks very different today. 

DSC_4816.JPG

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Turnoar said:

I recognise at least one of the boat builders in the Asaph pictures and clearly remember the yacht being moored in the Pleasure Boat dyke in the mid eighties one weekend at least, spoke to the owner at the time, looks like the guy with the glasses on. Lovely yacht, trust it is still about somewhere.

Wonderful - yes, I think Asaph is still around - I recall seeing a photo somewhere, she looked a bit different though with a bowsprit added. The original owner was Mr. Blanchard, who was a musician (percussionist I believe).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Oddfellow said:

What a brilliant resource you are sharing there. Thank you. 

I remember those sheds as a child. I remember walking over the "bridges" between them and I remember looking at them in a much more dilapidated state about 16 years ago with a possible view to buying the site. 

I live up the top of the road and regularly walk down this way. Looks very different today. 

DSC_4816.JPG

Thanks for sharing this photo of the yard today - it looks very nice and I believe those buildings are now flats that can be rented. I do hope the business thrives.

1 hour ago, WherryNice said:

Not a great picture I know but I think this is Crestella not long before she was broken up. 

The pic is heavily zoomed, hence the poor quality.

20210928_184932.jpg

Thanks for sharing this glimpse of the old lady in her last moments. Sad, but inevitable I suppose for an ex hire yacht of such an age...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1