Pacific Dawn 5th-12th July

tim

Monday 8th July

I had a bit of a lay-in this morning, awoke about 7 am and up about 7.30 am

We were meeting friends of Mandy at Coltishall in the evening, so a short cruising day today. After all the excitement of yesterday and the long cruise, it seemed nice to plan a gentle day

As usual it was kettle on and slide back the roof, tea was made and delivered, and as I suspect you know the routine by now, so it was out with Lottie, it was a beautiful day

I like the moorings at The Ferry Inn and I like the pub, I like pubs with gardens that front on to the river, but the walk for Lottie is not really that exciting or rural

So it was a short walk, business done, and back to the boat

Kettle on again, tea made again. Mandy got up about 8.30 pm and asked if I would like a cooked breakfast, why not, I thought. I had already expanded the waistline this holiday and Cumbria, so bit more won’t hurt

Mandy does do a good breakfast, and as I finished I reflected on what a good decision it was to go back and get her at Stokesby!

The plan (I do like having a plan) was to go to Salhouse to give Lottie a decent walk, then onto Wroxham for lunch and then onto Coltishall for the evening

We left Horning around 9.15 am and had a sedate cruise to Salhouse arriving at about 10 am, on the way we passed the subsiding house, which by now must be the most photographed building on the Broads!

I had just enough time to tie the stern ropes before a warden arrived asking how long we intended to stay

‘An hour or so’ I told him

‘it’s £2 for an hour if you go over you’re in the £5 tariff’

So I paid for an hour and took Lottie for a walk

I’m not sure who was teasing who, but Lottie was enjoying making the ducks leave the bank for the water, the ducks seemed to enjoy winding her up by coming straight back, anyway I put her on the lead and took her away from the ducks

We had a nice walk around Salhouse and got back to the boat with about 10 mins left on our ‘hour’

Mandy made a cuppa, I took the opportunity to fill the water tank

So with cuppa in hand and a full water tank (Dawn has a gauge) we decided to leave Salhouse and move on to Wroxham. I was also conscience that the warden seemed to be hovering like a London Traffic Warden waiting to pounce!

A gentle cruise to Wroxham, I do enjoy passing those impressive houses on the stretch of water, although I don’t think a lottery win would be enough

We called ahead to the bridge pilot to advise him we wanted to pass under the bridge and gave details of our boat. He said he had a couple ahead of us but said to pull into the pilot mooring and he would come and find us

Low water was at 12.21, we were about 30 mins earlier, not a problem for Dawn with an airdraft of 6ft 7inches, I’d already taken the screens down before we left Salhouse

I felt a bit guilty as we pulled slowly into the pilot moorings, there were several children feeding the swans and ducks, these obviously scattered as we approached.

Mandy wanted to get a few things from Roy’s, we had waited about 10 mins when I eventually persuaded Mandy to go and do her shopping and I would meet her on the other side and go and have lunch, she left with shopping list and mobile phone

The only doubt I had would be if she would hear it ring!

We guys know that ladies handbags are sound proof!

A couple of mins later, the pilot arrived

‘You by yourself’ he said

So I explained the wife had gone shopping and that I would meet her once through the bridge

All seemed fine, the pilot took me and Lottie through but there was no mooring immediately after the bridge

I told the pilot we were staying in Wroxham for lunch so I was happy with the Viaduct moorings

‘Will your wife find you down there’ he said

‘No problem, she’s got her phone’ I replied

The pilot asked me to take the helm

‘If you nudge up to that boat’ pointed to a Richardson bath tub stern moored near the pub

‘I’ll get off there as that’s the next boat I’m taking through

‘Ok, no problem’ I replied now realising I was about to become a solo sailor for the first time, well, if you don’t count the ‘Stokesby incident’ but then at least Mandy was on the bank!

Off went the pilot, I gently reversed back, used the bow thruster to correct my position and off I went

I tried to call Mandy, ring ring ring ring ring…………answer phone!

Now, I’ve left a few moorings over the years by myself, but I’ve never moored solo

I thought of the number of members on here that always solo moor, so I thought to myself of course you can do this, and of course I could!

My biggest problem was trying to decide the river flow, I just couldn’t read it

It was now about 12.10 pm, low water was in 10mins so it must still be going out…….just!

So having turned around to come in facing the bridge, I turned again to come in facing Coltishall

This made more sense anyway as the helm would be bank side

And guess what? I went in perfectly, tied up the stern then sorted the bow rope!

Rang Mandy again, no answer. So I pulled the screens and roof up, locked the boat and took Lottie for a walk to the end of the moorings and then back towards the pub

I got a call shortly afterwards and we agreed to meet in the garden of the Kings Head in 10 mins as she’d just paid for her shopping.

I went to order the drinks, Pimms for Mandy, Yardbird for me, bowl of water for Lottie, I also got a copy of the lunch menu, I got a pleasant surprise, the Kings Head were offering 10% of real ale for Camra members, well every little helps, especially with the cost of Pimms

We looked at the menus and we both came to the conclusion that we really wasn’t hungry so when I went to get another round of drinks I also got two packets of crisps

It was really nice sitting in the garden of the Kings Head, very close to the river and the weather really lovely. We had another drink and stayed in the pub for a couple of hours just watching the Wroxham activity, which was fortunately far more sedate than Stokesby the previous day

We walked back to the boat and left about 2.30pm and headed up the beautiful stretch of water between Wroxham and Coltishall

The pilot had told me earlier that he had been very busy taking 30 boats through the bridge, I was a little concerned that we might struggle to get a mooring at Coltishall, I didn’t need to worry, there were several paces so I turned around and moored up outside the pub

It was still a warm sunny day, so leaving the roof down, we went to the Rising Sun for another drink

I then took Lottie up to the common with her ball and launcher and let her charge around for 20-30 mins

Mandy’s friends are Elaine and her husband Gary, Mandy and Elaine used to work together a few years ago and although they now live in northern Scotland, they still meet up a few times a year

It was purely a coincidence that they were holidaying in Norfolk the same time as us, so it seemed nice to meet up

I’ve only met Elaine and Gary once, but it was a lovely evening in the Rising Sun’s garden, they were really good company and although Mandy and me get on really well, after 10 days solely in each other’s company it was great to have different conversations

The beer and food at the Rising Sun was excellent, Elaine Gary and myself had the Lamb Shank with mash, sorry I can’t remember what Mandy had

We went back to the boat for coffee (I had a glass of wine) I think they left to get back to their hotel about 9 ish, I then took Lottie, ball and launcher to the common so she could a good run!

To be continued

098.JPG

099.JPG

100.JPG

101.JPG

102.JPG

• Like 9

I`m enjoying this. Looking at the pic above, it reminds me of last year when we took all 43ft of Lightning up to the Lock. I stood on deck while my brother Trev was on the helm, i was his eyes from high. It`s a lovely short cruise to the lock, and well worth it if you want to stay the night. We`ll do that hopefully soon. I love the pics, are they from your camera or phone?.

4 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I`m enjoying this. Looking at the pic above, it reminds me of last year when we took all 43ft of Lightning up to the Lock. I stood on deck while my brother Trev was on the helm, i was his eyes from high. It`s a lovely short cruise to the lock, and well worth it if you want to stay the night. We`ll do that hopefully soon. I love the pics, are they from your camera or phone?.

Ssshh don't tell everyone!

• Haha 1

It's a lovely tale tim

I have to agree with Kron though, a lie in whilst on the boat or at home until 8:30pm is really pushing the limits of a good sleep, and believe me my lady loves her sleep more than most :default_wink:

On 26/07/2019 at 17:33, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Thanks

I'm terrible at remembering to take photos, so I'd have no chance it I used a proper camera, it's an iPhone X as supplied by my company

Coltishall Locks was my plan if I hadn't got a mooring on the common / pub, I'm sure we'll go up there one year

On 26/07/2019 at 22:18, Kron said:

That was a good lie in!!

I noticed that after I'd posted, but thought I might get away with it!  :default_wink:

As I was leaving the office at 3 pm (my turn on call this weekend) so go home early, plus I had an appointment with 3 mates at the pub and didn't want to get stuck on the M25 or QE2 bridge I didn't change it! :default_biggrin:

By the time I'd got back from taking Lottie for a walk it was too late, doh!  

On 26/07/2019 at 22:27, Jayfire said:

It's a lovely tale tim

I have to agree with Kron though, a lie in whilst on the boat or at home until 8:30pm is really pushing the limits of a good sleep, and believe me my lady loves her sleep more than most :default_wink:

Thanks, it was yours and a few others on here that inspired me to write this, but it was yours that convinced me I might get way with the fact I move from pub to pub and do a fair amount of drinking!  :default_beerchug:

As for Mandy, she is capable of a 8.30 pm lie in, as a ward nurse of many years ago she used to do all shifts including nights, she could go to sleep on a clothes line!

Getting to the pub on time was by main consideration, Mandy jokes that me and my three mates are like a cross between two old sit-coms, Last of the Summer Wine and Men Behaving Badly!  :default_icon_e_surprised:

24 minutes ago, tim said:

Thanks, it was yours and a few others on here that inspired me to write this, but it was yours that convinced me I might get way with the fact I move from pub to pub and do a fair amount of drinking!  

Thanks tim, I'm glad I helped you get your blog written and posted

If most on here can tolerate my nonsense and booze filled journey's then you have nothing to worry about :default_wink:

Speaking of which, brace yourself, another is coming soon :default_biggrin:

Keep supporting those pubs mate :default_beerchug:

Tuesday 9th July

I awoke about 7 am and put the kettle on shortly after, usual routine for me, pulled back the roof, the weather wasn’t bad, a bit dull but not cold

Tea was delivered to Mandy, Lottie was now also on the bed so I thought to myself happy days, I might be able to finish mine for once, and I did, both ‘girls’ on the bed and me up making tea and mopping the decks, and they say it’s a man’s world  :default_icon_e_surprised:

I happened to mention something about a ball and a walk, Lottie joined me immediately, so with ball and launcher in hand we went up to the common for 20-30 mins, I can’t remember if it had rained overnight or if it was just the dew, but Lottie was soaking wet by the time we got back to the boat. I got one of her towels and tried to dry her off, the problem was that she’s only two and thought this was part of the game, oh well, did it eventually!  :default_biggrin:

The plan today was to head back to Wroxham, have lunch / drinks in the Kings Head and then try and get a mooring at Ranworth for the evening, with this in mind, we were in no hurry, I had already put Lottie’s cover on the bed before we went out, so she decided to go back to bed with mum!

I made another tea, took it into Mandy and drank mine while sitting at the helm catching up with some emails and my football club Maidstone United’s forum. I think I mentioned in a previous thread that I’m chairman of the supporters club and organise away travel.

We were relegated from the National league last season so our message board had been in meltdown from the end of the season. Football supporters do like a good moan!

Mandy and Lottie got up about 9 am (not pm) she asked if I’d like a cooked breakfast, and again I thought ‘hell to the waistline’

The journey from Coltishall to Wroxham is one of my favourites, probably in the top 3 along with Barton Broad to Sutton on the Ant and Beccles to Gelderston Locks on the Waverley. Last year we did the other two, unfortunately we just didn’t get the chance to them again this year as well

As I said we were in no hurry, leaving Coltishall at about 10 am, we just cruised at a gentle pace through the beautiful winding river until we reach Wroxham at about 11.30 am. To be honest I wished we had taken the time to go up to Coltishall Locks, unfortunately we didn’t, next time definitely!

There were plenty of moorings at the Viaduct, but as at some stage we needed to get the pilot to take us under the bridge, we decided to try and get moored near the pub

Low water at Wroxham was 1.15 pm, but as the pilot had told me the day before, Dawn would go through a good 2hrs either side of low water, probably more!

We reached the stern moorings and there were a couple of slots, the pilot was just taking a boat through and there was a Ricko bath tub just hovering by the bridge. I called out to him to see if he was mooring, apparently not, he was going to get water from the boat yard on the other side then wait for the pilot in mid water, but he wasn’t really doing anything but get in the way (this later turned out to be Richardson madness day, although nothing like Brinks day)   :default_icon_rolleyes:

Mandy moved the dinghy to the front, it was tight with the Ricko boat just sitting there but we did manage to turn and into the quay side

After we moored, the Ricko bath tub went off and moored for water, it would have been a lot easier if he had done that before we had moored, Oh well!

The pilot was near our mooring, so I wandered down to him and explained that we would like to go through in a couple of hours

‘Which boat is yours’ he asked

‘Dawn’ I replied pointing to her

‘No problem, anytime you want, just give me a call when you are ready’

We took Lottie for a little walk, it was now about midday, Mandy needed to go back to Roys and exchange some shorts she had bought the previous day. Too big? Too small? Wrong colour? I’m sure I was told, but this stuff just washes over me. I was also invited to join her on her shopping trip, somehow I managed to wriggle out of that pleasure opting to go to the pub with Lottie!

The weather had improved, not very sunny but bright enough and quite warm, so after getting myself a Yardbird (with 10% off) I found a table near the river and sat back to enjoy the view   :default_beerchug:

Mandy joined me after about 20 mins, I got her a Primm’s and me another Yardbird and menus. For the second day running we decided we were ‘fooded out’

So we again sat in the dappled sunshine, enjoying watching the boats and people, we had a couple of nice conversations with others in the garden and those passing by

We left the pub about 1.30 pm and returned to Dawn, I had noticed it was a lot cloudier and some were looking a bit grey. I was hoping we could get through the bridge before it started raining

About 20 mins after calling the pilot it started to drizzle which shortly afterwards turned light rain, I left the front screens down but put the roof up. Fortunately it didn’t rain for long, about 10 mins later the pilot arrived, down came the roof. As he pulled Dawn into the river I moved the dinghy to the rear, and through we went

There was a Martham woody (I think it was Jayne) on the pilot moorings as he turned around, the pilot asked me to take the helm and pull up against Jayne, the pilot told the skipper of Jayne that he couldn’t take Martham boats through (anyone know why?) and that he should ring his boat yard to see if they were happy for them to take it through themselves

We left straight away so don’t know the outcome of that situation

It wasn’t raining, but it wasn’t sunny either and it wasn’t cold, so we continued our cruise to Ranworth. The journey time was about 2 hrs, this would mean arriving at 4 pm and unlikely be able to get a mooring on the Straithe, however we will try!

I mentioned earlier about the Richardson bath tub that was causing me difficulties me difficulties mooring at Wroxham. Well two other Richardson’s bath tubs were about to annoy me more on our way from Wroxham to Horning

I can’t remember exactly where it was, there a picture of the offending boats below, one was Star Gem 5 the other an former Horizon boat possibly Summer, I’m sure someone can put me right on this

However two things I do know are:

1)      I was trying to get to Ranworth as fast as (legally) possible

2)      I wasn’t going to speed due to possible damage to moored boats and banks

These two boats (they didn’t appear to be together) came past me on a blind bend, with other boats coming towards us at a good 2mph faster than we was travelling, neither looked at me as I called out about their speed!

It’s not hard these days to know what speed you are travelling at, I have 3 apps on my phone that do that for you, I’m no ‘teckie’ so if I can do it so can they!  :default_sad:

Ok, rant over, got to Ranworth about 4 pm, as we went down the dyke I saw several boats coming out, I thought oooh, maybe we might get lucky, I grabbed the binoculars, it looked full from here, Mandy, who had been reading in the lounge joined Lottie and me at the helm to help

No, it was ‘chocker’ we hovered for a while, got excited when we saw people coming back to their boats, but were given a signal by them that they weren’t going anywhere!

There was plenty of room at the island, so there was no need to panics, mud weighting was an option, but I’d broken the boat steps I hang off the back of the boat at Salhouse when mooring (not sure how I did that as we’ve had them for 4 years) so getting into the dinghy might not be that easy and I’d also have to row Lottie to the bank late evening and early morning

The weather wasn’t that bad by now, not nearly as good as it had been previous days but not cold, not windy and ‘brightish’

So decision made, well no decision really, drop mud weight, open a beer and see if anyone moves!

Beer finished, no movement, open another beer and………….wait!   :default_drinks:

While we were floating around on the mud weight Mandy received a call from her friend Elaine, we had said the previous night that we intended to go to Ranworth, they were in the area and did we want to meet up for a few drinks at the Malsters

Ok, decision firmly made, pay the £8 to moor on the Island and row over to the dinghy dyke.

We got to the Island, plenty of space, there was one mooring that was side on just before you go into the private moorings at the back, I thought that one is easy, and it meant we didn’t have to move the dinghy and it would be easier to get in and out of it

There was a sign that told you to stern moor or you could be charged more if you side on moored, but there was no way you could stern moor there, you could block half the entrance

I spied a warden in a motor powered dinghy heading our way, he moored in front of us and came over for his mooring fee. I braced myself for the side on mooring fee discussion but it never came, I paid him the £8 and away he went

I have to say we’ve been lucky with moorings, £2 at Salhouse for an hour and £8 at Ranworth Island for the night, all others were ‘free’ however the amount spend in the pubs is another thing!

We’d had agreed to meet Elaine and Gary at the Malsters at 6 pm, so a quick wash and freshen up, into the dinghy and off we went

Now, I said in this blog that I’m a once a year boater, whilst that’s true, it doesn’t give the full picture

My first job as a 14 year old was in a small boat hire business on the River Medway at Maidstone. We had day boats, rowing type boats with outboards or just plain oars. The largest boat we had was only 20ft, but the principle of boating never leaves you

Back in 1972, I got paid 10p/hour, yup £1 for a ten hour shift between 10am and 8pm, by 1974 I’d been promoted to boatman class 1 (whatever that was) I was now on a staggering 30p/hour - £3 for ten hours, but I seem to remember paying 12p for my first pint of bitter back in 1973/74.

If they had a quiet day and had spare boats we could take them out for nothing, it was a big hit with the girls back then!   :default_biggrin:

So off we rowed to the pub, and apart from Mandy saying ‘you need to go that way’ whilst waving both arms at the same time, we did get to the Malsters shortly after 6 pm

Elaine and Gary were already there, they bought us some drinks and we took a table in the garden. We had a few drinks and a lovely time, for people that I barely knew before the holiday I know look at them as great company and good friends

They left us about 7.45-8.00 pm, we decided it was time to eat, so I got us a couple of menus and ordered our food. I can’t remember what Mandy had, but I ordered the Steak & Kidney Pudding, it was lovely.

I’d now given up all hope on my waistline and fitness, it would be tough when the holiday ended and I had to get back into the exercise routine I have, but I’d now worry about that when I had to!

After dinner, we took Lottie for a walk to the church, then got back to the dinghy and rowed back to the boat

Apologies for the lack of photos, clearly being lazy

To be continued

105.JPG

103.JPG

• Like 12

Hello Tim, fantastic write up !

I'm very jealous sitting in front of my 6 screens at work in London.

With the Martham boats it is a case of DIY. I don't think that any of them have an air draft of much over 6ft so they should go through easily.

Barnes boats can't use the pilot either but then they are close enough to the bridge for one of their own staff to take the boat through. I know as a hirer using the pilot the charge is passed to the boatyard who charge the hirer at the end of the holiday. I'm wondering, though, if Broads Tours also charge the boatyard an additional fixed subscription charge and that's what puts Martham off. It's true Jayne would be relatively low risk but the likes of Juliette and Silver Jubilee are a different matter I'd have thought. I'd be very nervous about taking one of those through myself. 

I've taken Judith (many times), Silver Jubilee (a few times) and Juliette (twice) each way through Wroxham bridge and really never thought twice about it. They're designed for low arched bridges and handle like a dream so provided you prepare the boat properly and know that there is space under the bridge there's really no problem. Not convinced that it's a matter of cost, perhaps more a matter of attitude?

PH is of course a bit different and I'd think twice even if I was allowed to take the boats through.

Same for me Spider, I had good clearance of at almost a foot. Also the narrower profile of the topsides make it a more likely candidate. Martham let the hirers do this because they know they will fit. Also, by and large, I don't think your typical tourist hires their boats.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Broads01 said:

It's true Jayne would be relatively low risk but the likes of Juliette and Silver Jubilee are a different matter I'd have thought. I'd be very nervous about taking one of those through myself.

remember they all go through Potter Heigham Bridge, I took Judith through wroxham at 6 foot 6 and had a good clearance to spare all round, at 7 foot it felt like there was a good 18"

• Like 2

7 hours ago, grendel said:

remember they all go through Potter Heigham Bridge, I took Judith through wroxham at 6 foot 6 and had a good clearance to spare all round, at 7 foot it felt like there was a good 18"

Never had a problem at Wroxham pre pilot days

• Like 1

Wednesday 10th July

I apologise for the delay, I've been a bit busy at work, and whilst I did consider doing less rambling, I decided I started it that way so I'll finish it that way!:default_biggrin:

I awoke about 6.30 am again and got up about 20 mins later. It’s now becoming the usual routine, kettle on and pull back the roof, the weather was ok, very cloudy with a few dark clouds that looked like they were carrying rain, it wasn’t cold but I’ve seen better starts to the day.

Tea made and delivered to Mandy, Lottie was happy watching the geese and ducks on Ranworth Island, so I sat back in the helm seat and drank my tea looking at the maps I’d brought with me

After about 10 mins, Lottie started to do that silent barking thing, she obviously had got fed up watching the action and now wanted to be part of it

I like Ranworth Island, but I’d rather be on the Straithe, if only for the walk for the dog. Now, this may shock you but with so many geese and ducks inhabiting such a small space, there quite a bit of goose and duck poo around, and dogs just like to be disgusting don’t they?

So, she chased a few ducks into the water, they like at Salhouse kept winding her up by coming straight back, so I put her on the lead and tried to get her away from both ducks and poo, fortunately ‘business’ was completed soon so it was back to the boat

More tea made, Mandy got up about 8.00am, breakfast discussion followed. The steak and kidney pudding at The Maltsters (I was corrected by Mandy over the weekend for spelling it wrong, well technically I wasn’t spelling it wrong I had the pub name wrong in my head!) was still sitting in my stomach, so the answer to breakfast should’ve been nothing. However, I was on holiday and getting used to stuffing my face, so settled for egg on toast (I’m not enjoying trying to shift the weight I put on!)

Breakfast completed we decided we’d go to The Lion at Thurne for lunch (yup more food) but decided to have a little cruise to Potter Heigham before.

I can’t say Potter Heigham is my idea of the nicest place on the broads, but we apparently needed a few bits from Lathams and Lottie (and probably us) needed some exercise, so we set off about 9.30 am

I may not like PH much, but I do like the cruise down there, past all the different chalets and holiday homes, it is a bit of ‘liquorice allsorts’ and unlike Wroxham, I could probably afford one!

On the way we passed a moored boat (see picture at bottom) who was taking no chances of getting any damage, he was quite well protected, and I don’t blame him/her, having seen the antics of some hire (and some private) boats this week.

We got to PH about 10.30 am, no moorings on the river, which did surprise me, so into Herbert Woods boat yard and stern moored where the ‘visitors’ sign said. There were a couple of HW guys cleaning a boat near us, so I asked them if it was ok to stay for an hour or so?

‘As long as you like’ came the reply and ‘help yourself to water’

I’ve never hired a cruiser from HW, but I have hired a day boat a few years ago to go up through Hickling Broad and have lunch at the Pleasure Boat, but I have to say that the limited experiences I have had with them have all been very positive

We had a walk around the town, I’m not sure what it is about Potter Heigham, but for me it just appears a bit ‘tacky’ this view is only strengthened by the old Broadhaven pub, I can’t remember its name now but it just doesn’t look that inviting

We walked past the pub, and took the footpath towards Hickling Broad, not the prettiest walk but it was quite interesting to see the different condition of the properties, some were obviously holiday lets and were generally in better condition

The weather started to look a bit ‘iffy’ with heavy cloud and a bit of light rain, we hadn’t taken coats but the rain wasn’t hard or long enough to cause any real discomfort. We walked as far as we could then returned on the same route. I would assume that most deliveries would have to come in by boat as I couldn’t see any vehicular access?

Mandy went off to Lathams, I returned to the boat and put the kettle on and made Mandy a tea, as it was now 11.30 am (Stokesby Ferry would be open) I opened a beer and slid back the roof, I then took advantage of HW’s offer and filled the water tank

The weather had improved and whilst it couldn’t be described as great, there was no rain and it wasn’t cold.

Mandy returned, drank her tea, we left HW yard about 10.50 am, only a short cruise again we reached Thurne Dyke about 12.30 pm. There was plenty of room, however I’m normally lucky and get a spot at near the windmill, meaning I only have to reverse out to get back on the main river, those spots were taken so we had to go down the dyke and moor half way down on the left

I know I’m in a minority of one, but I liked the Lion before it changed owners, I also liked Sid. I can only speak as I find, and he was always polite and friendly to us, although I have to admit it is better now, especially now that arcade has gone with that very annoying music that used to kick in every 5 or 10 mins

We decided to take a seat in the garden, the beer was good as was the food, and we shared a pizza and a bowl of chips. I had a few pints of a local real ale Mandy a glass of wine and a coffee, my only criticism of the ‘new’ Lion was that I preferred to sit at front of the pub, which is now a car park, but I can understand the logic of using it that way

Whilst we were sitting in the garden it started to rain very lightly, we decided to be ‘very British’ and braved it out, it didn’t last long and it still wasn’t cold. We prefer to sit outside when we can, probably because we spend a lot of our working life inside

Over lunch we discussed our evening mooring / pub, this would be our last night on the northern broads, and we both agreed that our stay would not be complete without a meal at the Kings Arms at Ludham. Our preference was Ludham Straithe, back up plan was Ludham Bridge and walk

We were back at the boat at 2.30 pm, but we needed to turn round, I decided it would be easier to leave the dinghy tied to the quay heading as trying to turn at the bottom of the dyke with it attached would be too much hassle

Dawn is 35ft, so turning her would be simple, but turning her with dinghy would be difficult, so having turned we collected the dinghy and set off for Womack

It didn’t take long before we were turning into Womack Water, about 30 mins, as we approached the moorings on the right it didn’t look good!

Blimey I thought, if they are full here I’ve got no chance at the Straithe or island!

As we went past Hunters (I don’t think they’re in the federation?) another boat passed us very slowly

‘Any room down there’ I called to the skipper

‘A little bit’ he replied

Well, I don’t know where this ‘little bit’ was, but he was either unable to break bad news or he thought my boat was only 4ft wide!

It was ‘chocker’ so was the island, an option would have been to use the dinghy

So around we went and back in the direction we’d just come, a bit frustrating but I consoled myself with another beer, I was pretty confident that I’d get moored at Ludham Bridge, which would mean a visit to the Dog for a couple of beers before dinner at the Kings Arms

It was only just after 3pm, so we should be at LB about 4ish, we have moored at the Straithe before, so I was a bit surprised there wasn’t a space at 3pm

We got to Ludham Bridge about 4.15 pm, I’d taken the screens down as a precaution, but of course there was plenty of room for Dawn. I’m not really a nervous person normally, in fact I’ve been described as a bit of a ‘risk taker’ my mum, god rest her, used tell me that I’m not ‘fireproof’ but somehow I’m paranoid about bridge heights!

Anyway, safely moored at LB we wandered up to the Dog. The weather had improved greatly by now, there was even a bit of sun!

A couple of drinks at the Dog and back to the boat, freshen up and walk up to the Kings Arms at Ludham. As much as I would have loved to moor at the Straithe, LB gave us the opportunity to have a walk, so past the Dog, turn right shortly afterwards walk along the road before turning left through the farm and up to Lovers lane, then joining a footpath that runs adjacent to the road and into Ludham, about 30 mins from memory.

The first time we went to the Kings Arms we sat at the front, we hadn’t realised the fantastic patio / garden they had at the back, obviously now we’ve discovered the garden we go there all the time, so far we’ve been blessed with decent weather

I can’t remember what we had, but the food and beer were excellent as usual, we left the pub about 8.30 pm and walked back to the boat

Mandy put the kettle on for tea, which I declined, because clearly I hadn’t had enough alcohol yet, so I had a couple of glasses of wine whilst sitting at the helm watching the sunset, which I was too stupid to take a picture of, doh!   :default_dunce:

To be continued

106.JPG

107.JPG

• Like 5

Great write up. Isn’t it funny how we sometimes perceive things very differently. Given that we are always on the  lookout for tea rooms rather than pubs, I have become very fond of Potter Heigham. Bridge Stones is highly recommended for a stop at any time of day. 

But the Kings Arms at Ludham is a way down my list of places to go. The food has always been reasonable and we do visit if we are moored at Womack Water or down the Dyke. But it’s not one of my favourites. 

Rambling is good, and worth waiting for, so no need to apologise for the delay in posting. Am really enjoying your holiday tale.

I’d like to put in a word for Alfresco Tearooms, that’s our favourite Ludham eatery. The Kings Arms isn’t my favourite, but I like how friendly it is, and also that it seems very much a local’s pub, whilst still welcoming visitors. 

• Like 1

Yeah, you can`t beat a good ramble.

We had a Sunday carvery at the Kings Arms 5 years ago. Each portion of meat was enough for two. Needless to say, i overdosed on roast potato`s and stuffing.  We also liked the Al Fresco Tearoom, but have only been there once, and have been meaning to return for some years now.  As for Bridge Stones? ....................... Fish pie, what can i say?. 

This really is a great read Tim, so ramble on mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind comments, and again I'm going to apologise for the lack of updates.

My work partner is on holiday meaning I have two jobs (tbf fair its probably only one job, but I'm busy) and my daughter managed to write her car off last Saturday, she had a rear tyre blow out in hard rain, spun round on a dual carriageway and mounted the kerb

Thankfully she wasn't hurt, just shook up, but it was curtains for her 4 year old Fiesta.

And so to dealing with the insurance company, its an internet based company,  their website was down all weekend, the telephone number took us around the houses for 15mins before telling us to go on line!

I have a multi car policy mine, Mandy and Susie, they are all on my account, all linked to my email and telephone number, and all paid by me on the same debit card!

So having spent 30mins on Monday waiting to get through, I was hit with 'data protection' they could talk to me they had to speak to Susie who was now on 12 hour shifts in a care home!

Don't worry they said we'll email her (they got the email address wrong) and they gave me an out of hour number we could ring when she finished her shift, we we rang when off shift, only 20 mins going round the houses only to be told they were closed and would open again at 8am!

Gladly, it was sorted on the Tuesday, she got the money on the Wednesday and another car on the Thursday! So Mum and Dad's taxi service can stand down again for a while!

Anyway, not broads or a broads tale, just an excuse and a whinge!  :default_wink:

I promise I will finish the tale early next week!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1