Pacific Dawn 5th-12th July

tim

We had insurance for the car with an internet company and although it was a very user friendly premium, I was always concerned about the possible scenario if, God forbid, we needed to claim. reading your account made me very glad we moved away from that company this year.  What happened to you was exactly what  I was afraid of. So glad you got it sorted. How different  being the parent of a  young adult  is for us than it was for our parents. the most they had to worry about was me missing the last bus home!

Carole

• Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 11:40, addicted said:

We had insurance for the car with an internet company

I think it was Fake Britain I saw recently, but people being conned into buying fake car insurance on line is on the rise thanks to their great prices, so be aware! 

Car insurance will always be a rip off, so i ALWAYS go on Compare the Meerkat. I`ve got many many quotes through them with reputable companies, but at a fraction of the renewal cost of any current insurers.  I had RAC insurance a few years back, at £189 comp for a Peugeot 407. The following year, they hiked that to £260, when i left it a bit late to shop around. I told them on the phone i wanted it back down to the £189 mark the following year, which they said should`nt be too much of a problem. The following year, the renewal quote was a MASSIVE £440. I jumped straight on to Compare the Meerkat and got it down to £180. And that was with legal cover and windscreen cover. 

It never pays to be loyal to an insurance company, always go on the comparison sites, and make sure you can talk to them on the phone incase you need to speak to them. I flatly refuse to use an internet only insurance company, been there, seen it done it had the hassle contacting them, so never again.

People really must learn to live without the necessity of buying on line.

• Like 2

Thursday 11th July

I awoke again about 6.30pm and as usual my routine was kettle on, make tea and slide back the roof. Again the weather wasn’t bad, a bit cloudy but the sun was doing its best to shine through, but not cold

As with previous days I drank about half of mine before one of the ladies in my life was demanding my attention. No, not Mandy, she was quite happy where she was and had no intent of moving just yet!

Yup it was Lottie, that little silent bark of hers was informing me it was time to do what dogs that have been shut in for 8 hours or so must do! So lead on and out we go

Ludham Bridge isn’t my favourite mooring, but it is excellent for anyone with a dog because you can walk for miles either along the river or across the fields. ‘We’ chose the river walk.

Breydon slack was at 12.53pm, the chart I use told me it was going to take 3hrs 40mins, so I decided we should be leaving at about 9.15am, providing my math was right. Actually Maths rather than English was always my stronger subject at school, as you can probably tell by my wittering on here!  ;-)

It was about 6.50am when me and Lottie set off, we had 2.5hrs before we needed to leave Reedham so we decided to take a fairly long walk along the bank.

We returned to the boat after about an hour and again as usual it was kettle on, tea made and delivered to Mandy, I enquired when she might be getting up? Not yet it would appear!

It was only about 8am, so no real hurry, she was going to read for a bit, so I sat at the helm listening to the radio and caught up with a few emails and my football clubs online forum. Nothing had changed there, quite a few in meltdown because we hadn’t signed either Messi or Ronaldo or both!

Mandy got up at about 8.30am and asked if I fancied a full English, after my exercise this morning I felt I deserved it. We had breakfast another cuppa it was now after 9.00am, so we decided to head off and take a leisurely cruise to Yarmouth

As I’ve said previously in this tale I’m a little paranoid with bridge heights, so having assessed the weather I took the screens down. Yes I know with Dawn, I wouldn’t have a problem, just makes me feel better, plus it’s a nicer view.

The weather had sort of got better and worse, if that’s possible? Let me explain, it had got better because there was far more blue sky on show, however it had got worse because the clouds that were there had got a lot darker, with a few threatening black bits!

It was a strange cruise, it was very quiet, a couple of private boats overtook us but nothing came the other way, I know they would have been punching the tide, but that hasn’t stopped boats before. As we passed both The Bridge Inn at Acle and The Ferry at Stokesby, I was surprised there wasn’t a single boat moored at either of them, I’ve never seen so much space to moor!

It soon became clear that we were going to get to Yarmouth too early, we decided rather than having to fight the tide on Breydon to we’d moor up at Stracey Arms for a cuppa and walk Lottie to correct our arrival time at Yarmouth. This was a decision that cost us lunch (not that I needed it) and caused Mandy to get angry (not something that happens much)

We turned the boat round and came in against the fast moving tide and moored quite easily. A Herbert Woods boat came in shortly after us with the tide and made a right ‘cods’ of it

Well, they finished up moored into the tide, however not for the first time with week we had one member of the crew (husband) on the bank with bow rope and another crew member (wife) at the helm desperately trying to get the stern to go in!

After smashing against the quay heading several times like a bucking horse, the tide eventually swung them 180 degrees to face the other way, they then tied up safely not facing in the direction they intended plus a fair few scratches to the bow

Mandy made the tea, I took Lottie for a walk along the river path, it was only about a 20min stop, tea, walk and a bit of impromptu entertainment. We left at 11.20am, which by my calculations would be perfect for slack, however if we had got there earlier or later we were going through, I have no desire to visit Yarmouth!

I have to say the cruise to Yarmouth isn’t the prettiest, unless you are into reeds and marker posts!

Timing was now spot on and we passed under the first low bridge showing 9ft 3ins bang on time, the only thing of note I remember was receiving a text from my son Nick that we had the Aussies 14 for 3 in the World Cup Cricket semi, wow, I thought I had forgotten it was on. I decided not to jinx it by listening to it on the radio, but kept a watch on the score via my phone!

The journey was good, we made decent time, the weather was dry and reasonably warm, although I did put a fleece on for a while as the cool wind whipped around us. The sky did look a little threatening, we were worried we might catch a shower, but our luck held out, all was good

We had a loose plan (I like a plan) stop for a late lunch at The Bell St Olaves, then up the New Cut and moor for the night at Reedham. If we couldn’t get into Reedham we’d go to Loddon and moor at Pyles Mill or the basin (unlikely) and if that failed at Pacific’s yard as we had to have the boat back by 9am the next day!

For some reason Mandy became very camera happy over Breydon/Yarmouth (as you can see below) these were the only photos she took on our broads holiday!

Anyway, plenty of room under the bridges, turn past the yellow post and across Breydon. We had a bit of company on Breydon, but it wasn’t too bad, as we neared the end I suggested to Mandy that if there was any room outside The Fisherman’s Inn (and I was happy with the moorings) shall we stop there as we hadn’t been there before. She agreed that it would be nice to stop somewhere different

At about 1.45pm we cruised past the Fishermans, and yes only one boat there so enough room to get in easily. I had read on here that the mooring were a bit ‘harsh’ so as I turned and came in against the tide I had a good look at them, the last thing I needed was to damage the boat, but they looked ok, so in we went moored up. I checked the fenders were at the right height to protect the boat. As we could see the boat from the pub garden, we left the roof and screens down

The weather was quite sunny now, a bit breezy due to it being very open but quite pleasant as we chose a table in the garden looking towards the river

As I stood at the bar waiting to be served, I noticed a sign ‘food served between 12 and 2pm’ I glanced at my watch, 1.58pm, a chap next to me paid for his drinks, the barmaid turned to me, I ordered our drinks and immediately said ‘we ok for food’ it was now 1.59pm

‘No, kitchen is closed’ I pointed to my watch and said ‘it’s close but not 2pm yet’

‘Yes but by the time I take your order they will be closed’ she replied

‘Not even a sandwich’ I asked?

The answer was a very apologetic No!

Now I understand ‘rules is rules’ but we only wanted a sandwich, and they had two bar staff serving about 7 people, technically it was before 2pm and would have hurt one of them leaving the bar to make a sandwich or two?

To be honest I wasn’t that bothered as I wasn’t desperately hungry, so I asked for a couple of packets of crisps and returned to Mandy outside threw her the crisps and said ‘that’s your lunch’ and explained the 2pm closure and the fact I was ordering at 1.59pm

I thought it was quite funny, but Mandy’s fuse had been lit and the firework display was about to start!

She was not happy, not like her really, but I do see her point, they are a new business trying to do well and get ‘punters’ through the door, two new customers enter the pub and even before their deadline they stop food orders!

However, despite the moan, I liked it there, the beer was good as was the view and had we not stopped at Stracey Arms and fought the tide over Breydon, I might be saying the food was good as well    :default_wink:

Mandy didn’t want a second drink, so she went back to the boat taking Lottie with her to ‘prepare lunch’ I stayed and had another beer (surprise)

I got talking to people sitting on the next table, who were new to the broads, about the broads, broad boat hire and other stuff, there was a couple from Essex and another couple from Suffolk. The weird bit was all us fellas were called Tim, three Tims on one table what joy!

I don’t know what a collection of Tims is…….probably trouble!   :default_icon_rolleyes:

Mandy gave me a wave from the boat is indicate food was ready, so I said my goodbyes and returned to the boat, toasted cheese and onion  sandwich, very nice and a beer!

We left the mooring around 3.00pm and headed back towards Breydon and up the Yare towards Reedham. The moorings at The Fishermans were ok, I’m not sure I’d be happy doing an overnighter as the quay heading was unforgiving, and rising and falling against it would concern me

England were now well on top in the cricket and truly giving the Aussies a spanking, which is always nice (rivalry thing) so instead of the usual cruising music I had 5 live extra booming from my phone through a Bluetooth speaker!

We reached Reedham sometime before 5.00pm and was pleased to see a couple of moorings available, so I went past Reedham turned into the tide and slowly pulled into a space outside The Lord Nelson with the warden in attendance. He asked if we were staying the night, which I told him we were, he then tied the boat for the night, which I was more than happy to let me do

He offered me the water hose, but we still had a quarter of a tank, with boat being returned the next day we didn’t bother, plus I was rather enjoying listening to the cricket

Mandy suggested we went for a drink in The Lord Nelson, you should have seen the look on her face when I told her I was happy just sitting on the boat! 33 years married and that was a first!

I enjoyed a couple of beers while the game progressed and toasted the success with a glass of red wine!   :default_winko:

Now it was time to get a drink in the Nelson’s garden, the weather now was really lovely the best of the day, we decided to have our last dinner of the holiday at The Ship, but first we took Lottie for a little walk

We got back to the boat about 9ish, Mandy made a cup of tea for herself whilst I took Lottie for a quick walk. When back at the boat I sat at the helm, with the roof down with a glass of wine or two or…….and reflected what a wonderful two weeks we’d had in both The Lakes and The Broads!

To be continued

108.JPG

109.JPG

110.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

014.JPG

017.JPG

018.JPG

020.JPG

021.JPG

022.JPG

023.JPG

027.JPG

028.JPG

113.JPG

• Like 13

Friday 12th July

Well, here we are the day I always dread, its hand the boat back by 9 ish, where did the time go?

The journey time was about 75mins, so we needed to be away by 7.45, 8am by the latest.

As is now usual, I was up about 6.30am got up put the kettle on a slid back the roof, the weather didn’t look great, it was very dull but wasn’t raining, I looked up to the sky, hmmm, I think we’re going to get some rain. Great I thought, although it was the last day and rain wasn’t a complete disaster, I didn’t really fancy navigating down the Chet with the roof up and the wipers (not that they are great on this boat) not working

Lottie wasn’t particularly bothered about going out, she was on her cover on the bed with Mandy, and neither looked like they were going to move anytime soon!

So, I made the tea, well that does seem to be my role in life in the mornings either home or away

After about 30mins, with sky now looking even more threatening I decided I would get her out before I had to deal with the Chet and a wet dog!

Mandy said she would get up while I was out and start breakfast, as I didn’t want to leave a lot of washing up to do, I opted for a simple bacon sarnie

Just typical, it started to rain about 10mins before we were going to leave, not hard, but heavy enough to have to close the roof.

It did just look like a shower as there was plenty of blue sky following up the back clouds over us, I decided to hang on for a bit to see if it would clear. No such luck, at 8.55am we decided we would have to leave and hope it would stop soon

Just as I got to the Chet mouth it looked like it had eased, so I put my arm out of the window, great it had virtually stopped, so down came the roof

We had done all the packing the previous evening to make it simple to off load from the boat and into the car at the boatyard, my window vac wasn’t easily accessible and whilst Mandy is now happy to helm the boat, she wasn’t going to do it down the Chet, so we needed to clear the screens with tea and kitchen towels, it wasn’t easy steering and leaning over the screens but I managed it and wow, I could now see!

We had a gentle last cruise down the Chet, only me and Lottie up top, Mandy was in full cleaning mode and packing away the last few bits

Just before we got to the boat yard we passed Ranworth Breeze moored at Pyes Mill, not sure who was on it that day, but a fella and a child gave us a nice wave that was reciprocated, we were then at Pacific Cruisers, not the easiest place to get into with a dinghy!

Mandy moved it to the bow, and I reversed into a space as directed from the bank. Safely in tied up and engine off, and that was that, the holiday was at an end

Our car was waiting for us on the lawn only a few yards from the back (oops stern) of the boat, this time Mandy didn’t throw any of my clothes into the river, everything was unloaded on to the quay and then into the car

I had a chat with Richard about the wipers, he got straight onto that problem

Fiona greeted us and asked if we had a good time, which clearly we did.

Dawn was refuelled, we had used 62 litres which had put us over our fuel deposit of £75 by £3, I put my had into my pocket to pay, she waved her arms across and said no, it was fine

A quick word for Pacific, they really are lovely people to deal with, ok I had a problem with the wipers, but I didn’t bother to call them, I’m sure if I had it would have been sorted

I love Dawn as a boat, it’s perfect for us, and its not only a better price than I could find on similar boats but they give us a £75 discount on top of that because we’re regular customers, I really can’t imagine using anyone else

I’d like to say thanks to everyone that has taken the trouble to read, comment or like my ramblings, I was a little worried that as a part time ‘forumite’ I might be intruding into your lives, but that has not been the case.

If you can take another week of my ramblings I might just have another go next year, I just didn’t realise how long (well it does if you witter on like me) it would take to write

I know my style might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I leave you with me being profound for once

I have had a reasonably successful life and have followed these 3 simple rules

1)      You get one life, live it – My mum and dad died at 93 and 89 respectively, both had dementia both lived in a home for their last years, my life style may mean I don’t need to worry about that  :default_wink:

2)      Race Religion or Creed – I don’t care what colour you are, what you are or where you come from, you are either a good person or a bad person, I’ve tried my best to be a good person   :default_smiley-angelic002:

3)      Honesty – Some friends say I can be blunt, but I’ll never say anything behind someone’s back I wouldn’t say to their face! 

That’s me done, I may not be on here much until I book Dawn again for next July, as you lot will make me very jealous!  :default_icon_rolleyes:

Maybe see you in a boozer next year!    :default_beerchug:

• Like 12

22 minutes ago, tim said:

Friday 12th July

Well, here we are the day I always dread, its hand the boat back by 9 ish, where did the time go?

Funny - when we got to our last day this year (after 2 weeks), it was a shame to have to hand the boat back, but it felt as if we'd been living on it for at least a month...(in a good way).

23 minutes ago, tim said:

We had done all the packing the previous evening to make it simple to off load from the boat and into the car at the boatyard, my window vac wasn’t easily accessible and whilst Mandy is now happy to helm the boat, she wasn’t going to do it down the Chet, so we needed to clear the screens with tea and kitchen towels, it wasn’t easy steering and leaning over the screens but I managed it and wow, I could now see!

Actually we found it relatively easy - it bends a lot, but not many other boats around, and currents/wind weren't a problem when we did it. And no sailing boats tacking backwards and forwards!

There were places that were reserved for Mrs Coryton's superior skills and experience at the helm, but the Chet wasn't one of them.

25 minutes ago, tim said:

If you can take another week of my ramblings I might just have another go next year, I just didn’t realise how long (well it does if you witter on like me) it would take to write

Oh please do, if you have the time.

I don't think you have to be someone who posts all the time on the forum for people to enjoy your tales.

• Like 3

Tim, you say you don't usually repeat holidays. I think it is now too late for you, the Broads have struck, the only answer is to hire from a different yard!!!

A good tale and what seems to be a holiday you 3 enjoyed. Time to look at other yards for next year.

Admit defeat and book now.

paul 

• Haha 2