out to sea.. at some point

Guest hmmcrunchy

Hi all

just wondering if you can give a bit of advice here - i have a small sailing boat (21') on the broads and have been pottering about there quite happily - i have been looking out to sea for a while now thinking it would be quite an adventure to sail off some where new..

im a beginner at all this - i know the best way to learn is to go out with someone that knows what they are doing for a bit and see how its done etc -

just thought id ask if anyone has anymore tips or items of equipment/charts i need to buy/stock up on, it would be great. im hoping to do this at somepoint - not necessarily right away but when im sure im up to speed i hope to go for it

:Sailing

thanks

Paul

The list can be endless Paul, but provided you stay inshore in settled clear weather in a reliabe well maintained yacht then a good compass, VHF, sounder and updated charts should be a minimum. Decent life Jackets are obviously a must, flares would be worth having and don't forget a decent anchor and enough scope, coupled with a towed inflatable you would have the basics and can move up from there. Clothing and water would not be much different from the broads for those conditions. I'm sure others will have their favourite "must haves" and will post them too.

i have been looking out to sea for a while now thinking it would be quite an adventure to sail off some where new..

im a beginner at all this - i know the best way to learn is to go out with someone that knows what they are doing for a bit and see how its done etc -

Paul

Antares has given you the basics, but I would add that having charts etc is one thing being able to read and use them is another... I would suggest doing an RYA day skipper course to learn the basics. There are normally two 5 day sections "theory" and "practical" but you can do a combined 9 day course that will cover both and only uses up five days leave. If you are particularly interested in going out of Yarmouth / Lowestoft then it might be worth doing it with a local school. Otherwise you can look at doing it in a different area, if you want to see new waters. (My sister did hers out of Bergen in Norway!).

Remember that on the Broads tides go up and down vertically (tidal range) and up and down the river (tidal direction), get offshore and these become trickier to allow for.

I would also add a GPS to his list, "three point fixes etc" (covered on the Day Skipper course) are useful but you have to be able to identify the landmarks, which is difficult when you cant see for rain. I use a handheld Garmin CX72 with a small chart display and find it very useful.

Martin :Sailing

thanks guys thats a great start - yes a course does sound a good idea for the charts etc..

all suggestions welcome. it'll all help

rather not be one of these guys who dash out there and end up being dragged back in by the RNLI (or worse)

We take RUM! Its always got us safely into port :naughty::naughty::naughty:

Welcome Paul...is that the same Paul that I met with Griff on Broad Ambition when we took Rob and Julie up to Horning on their wedding day???

adam aka LB :pirate :pirate :pirate

thanks antares

Hi adam - rum sounds pretty good cheersbar, yes it sure is me.. i wasnt much use at work the next day thats for sure. Been a while since that happened you're well i hope - didnt realise you were over here.