Norfolk Lady Tales

Mouldy

23 minutes ago, Ray said:

Harley looks very contented . . . . . . . . . . .

She was!!  She lays in the sun, eventually gets too hot, than goes indoors to cool down.  A few years ago, we had a holiday in a mobile home in the South of France, where she used to lay on the decking outside in the sun, then go in to lay under the air conditioning unit!!

23 minutes ago, Ray said:

. . . . . . . . . a lovely day to be out on the water!

It certainly is!  Hoping for more tomorrow and Monday, but I fear that may not happen.

• Like 1

Guest Jayfire
8 minutes ago, petersjoy said:

Good afternoon to you too. couldn't moor at North Cove for all the rif raf there.

IMG_1865.JPG

Ooh Malcolm you lucky thing, I almost went with North Cove in mind as I set off earlier today. You'd have to be putting up with my personal rave party right now if I had 🥳 

Then there really would have been the riff raff around :default_biggrin:

18 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

Ooh Malcolm you lucky thing, I almost went with North Cove in mind as I set off earlier today. You'd have to be putting up with my personal rave party right now if I had 🥳 

Then there really would have been the riff raff around :default_biggrin:

Would have been good to have had a catch-up, buts it a long way to the pub (well, for this old bloke, it is!!).

Guest Jayfire
2 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Would have been good to have had a catch-up, buts it a long way to the pub (well, for this old bloke, it is!!).

Nonsense Malcolm, they're both so close they even built them on a circular route from the mooring :default_norty:

• 1 month later...

We’ve been up to the boat every other weekend since May, aside from our break in Cornwall, including the weekend of 12th and 13th June, when we met Russell Thomson at The Ferry House.  He was on one of his adventures on Thunder and we had a chat with him and his guest over lunch.  He’s a really nice guy, very different from the impression that he gives on his videos.

Our latest visit was last weekend.  Obviously, the weather had changed dramatically from the hot, sunny days earlier in the week, but it was pleasant enough.  Living closer now means that we can get to Brundall sufficiently early to get away from the yard on Friday evening.

We headed down The Yare and found a spot at the Hardley Mill moorings.  Despite being on the main river, it’s a peaceful spot and becoming one of our favourites.

We pottered into Reedham on Saturday and moored for a while, taking the opportunity to top up the water and visiting the excellent Cannells for some ice creams and sausages (not for consumption together, you understand).  The Ranger was busy, helping crews of various dayboats from WRC moor, as well as some in hire craft.  Clearly, the concept of mooring into the current is difficult to grasp for some and so important where it flows so fast.

Later we chugged up to Pyes Mill (again) where we spent the night.  It was busy, but not packed, with a few spaces still available.  The anticipated thunder and lightning didn’t happen, much to my surprise and it was dry when we woke on Sunday.  We cast off just after 08:30 and cruised to Short Dyke where we had brunch.  By this time, the weather had brightened up considerably and it had become quite hot.  We needed to call into B&Q in Norwich on the way home, so left there just after 13:00, giving us time to cruise back to the yard, tidy up and leave in time to collect necessary supplies.

So another weekend on board came to a close.  We’ll be back again in a couple of weeks for another one, but we’re both looking forward to September when we can have an extended break and hopefully head north again.  Just a couple of photos this time of Hardley Mill.

F63ECBD6-3FA1-43A1-9638-5DFA5529CCD7.jpeg

11793CDE-095C-448C-BFE1-DF0AC1401152.jpeg

• Like 13

• 3 weeks later...

BSS yesterday.  Being the ‘glass half empty sort of person that I am, I was expecting the worst, but much to my amazement, the only thing required is a CO alarm, which we knew was missing anyway.

And breathe!!!

• Like 4

We returned to Norfolk Lady on Friday night, pleased that with the CO alarm fitted, our BSS was good for another four years.  Our son and his family had been on Moonlight Shadow for a week and we had arranged to meet them at Brooms on Saturday and help clean the boat, ready for Warren later that day.  They were back on the mooring by about 08:15 and had already done much of the valeting, so we helped with the final bits and were off the boatbyb10:00, just in time for the engineer to board and try to resolve a fault that had developed.

They headed for home (via The Golden Arches on the A47 roundabout at Brundall for breakfast) and we went back to Norfolk Lady.  Our plan was to go to The New Inn at Rockland for dinner and a table had been booked.  I’m not too keen on overnighting at the Staithe, so Short Dyke was the destination.  We had plenty of time, so went through Brundall and turned back through Bargate, which looked beautiful in the sunshine.

We found a suitable mooring at Short Dyke and spent a quiet afternoon watching the boats come and go before wandering round to the pub.  We’ve eaten there before and the meal didn’t disappoint, but personally find the interior a little sterile, unlike The Ferry House which has a lovely warm, welcoming atmosphere.  Happy to eat there again, though.  Good food, well cooked and presented.

We walked back to the boat, watched TV for a while and had a wee glass of gin, before retiring early.  It had been a long day!!  We woke this morning to a glorious, sunny start to the day.  Too good an opportunity to miss, so whilst the wife walked the dog, I flew a drone to capture a few shots before taking a camera out.  I’ll have to wait to download the shots from my camera in a format I can upload to the Forum, but here are a couple from the drone and my phone.

CADA8062-B871-4161-8118-CDAC0E77A569.jpeg

28C486C0-E4A4-480B-8563-D7693E0CE9F9.jpeg

A318C366-D36A-4B0D-96CC-3FBB4D2AD4CE.jpeg

B8485B2C-B498-4C8E-B8CE-A6433D6F9F89.jpeg

AD79FABC-9704-470C-ACC5-EF433451C2F2.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Love 2

Fantastic photos again Malcolm

We have a mooring and table booked at the Ferry House for this afternoon and evening and we are being joined by my son and his girlfriend who are meeting us there.

We too are looking forward to another excellent meal at the Ferry House this evening

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tempest said:

. . . . . . . . . . .We too are looking forward to another excellent meal at the Ferry House this evening.

Enjoy it, Warren.  It’s still my favourite pub on the southern rivers, but I hope they get the full menu back in place soon.  My favourite starters and desserts aren’t available currently. :default_sad:

5 hours ago, Mouldy said:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . I’ll have to wait to download the shots from my camera in a format I can upload to the Forum, but here are a couple from the drone and my phone.

So back home (sadly) but here are a few shots from my camera taken this morning.

DSCF1814.jpeg

DSCF1819.jpeg

DSCF1824.jpeg

DSCF1831.jpeg

DSCF1838.jpeg

DSCF1857.jpeg

DSCF1854.jpeg

DSCF1853.jpeg

DSCF1848.jpeg

DSCF1840.jpeg

• Like 11