Norfolk Lady Tales

Mouldy

• 2 weeks later...

We came back up to the boat on Friday for the Bank Holiday weekend.  However, although the fitting of our kitchen has been finished (albeit missing a door and some plinth that were found damaged when being fitted), I haven’t finished the decorating.  We’re due back to the boat on Thursday evening for a 12 night break, so have decided to curtail this weekend early to allow me time to finish the painting.  It’s fair to say that the weather yesterday was not the best, although it did brighten up in the afternoon, but probably what should have been expected for a Bank Holiday at the end of a very average summer.

We woke this morning to a glorious start to the day.  It’s clouding over a bit now, but perhaps it’s saving the good weather for later in the week :default_biggrin:.

ECFEED11-1F28-4AF5-A78B-9DBF96287452.jpeg

5CE3193C-25E0-4E64-9D51-BF1F29FE3473.jpeg

• Like 9

Stunning photos. It was chilly sat by the river this morning in Hoveton. Quiet on the river until the queue of boats started for the bridge pilot. A little brightness breaking through the clouds now but yes, a distinctly average summer ... let's hope that autumn is better, especially for your 12 days afloat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We arrived back in Brundall on Thursday evening, unloaded all of our ‘stuff’ onto Norfolk Lady and had a fish and chip supper from the chippy in Brundall.

I was up early on Friday morning to clean the outside of the boat and the windows.  Once done, we set off short after 10:00, heading for Reedham, on our way to cross Breydon in the afternoon.  We moored at the end nearest to Sandersons, where there was much activity preparing the boats for their next visitors.

Low water at Yarmouth was at 14:30, so we set off from Reedham around 13:00, intending to arrive at the yellow post between low and slack, to allow sufficient clearance under the bridges for our boat.  We made good progress, helped by the falling tide.  It’s fair to say that Breydon was a bit lumpy, which was surprising as it wasn’t particularly windy.  I turned left to head up The Bure and as antic, the current was still ebbing, necessitating a significant increase in engine revs to make progress through the yacht station and beyond.

The flow gradually eased and the revs were reduced as we headed towards Stracey Mill.  We wanted to moor ideally at Stokesby, but there was ample room at Stracey should we have needed it. Fortunately, there was space on the BA moorings where I managed to completely cock up the mooring.  According to my app, the tide should have been rising, but as it turned out was still falling causing some difficulties, however we were soon safely moored with just my pride suffering damage.

We had some emergency supplies on board, but went to the pub for dinner.  I haven’t been there for several years and am sad to say that I won’t be rushing back.  Don’t get me wrong, the food was okay, but we both thought it was was expensive for what it was and a little lacking by comparison to The Bridge Inn and The Lion.

We returned to the boat and settled down for the night after watching Grantchester.  We were up quite early on Saturday, the wife taking the dog for her walk and I tidied up, making the bed, before making tea.  When she returned, we set off for Acle to top up the water in what was Horizons old yard.  There was much activity at Bridgecraft, helping returning visitors moor, refuelling and preparing the boats for their new crews.

We set off again, heading for Womack Dyke.  We arrived to see only two other boats moored, so tied up and went to the village for supplies.  When we returned, the craft that had been at the far end (nearest The Thurne) had departed, so we pulled Norfolk Lady along and settled down for the day.  The weather had been fairly grey, except for a couple of sunny periods and a bit breezy, but it gradually brightened up and turned into a pleasant evening.

The Broadland air caught up with us again and we retired to bed around 22:00.

The forecast is looking more promising for the rest of the week, but I’m not holding my breath, just in case!!  I need to get my camera out and start taking some photos!!!

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

We wanted to moor ideally at Stokesby, but there was ample room at Stracey should we have needed it. Fortunately, there was space on the BA moorings where I managed to completely cock up the mooring.  According to my app, the tide should have been rising, but as it turned out was still falling causing some difficulties, however we were soon safely moored with just my pride suffering damage.

Exactly what we did there the other week! 

We’ve all been there Malcolm! My worst one was thinking a really strong wind would have more effect than the tide. It didn’t!

I’m now thinking back to our stay at Polkey’s Mill in July when the tide on the surface kept streaming down towards Breydon whilst the water level was rising quite quickly up the key heading. Weird! 

Monday 5th September 

I had the best nights sleep I’ve had in a long time, away from the stress of decorating our kitchen.  I could see a bright light shining through the roof hatch of our fore cabin when I woke, so rushed to get dressed.  The sun was indeed out and the sky a hazy blue.  Happy days.  Deb took the dog for a walk and I took the drone for a flight to grab a few shots of the surroundings.  When she returned, we had toast and marmalade with a couple of cups of tea before setting off for Potter Heigham.

We moored at the second ‘quiet’ moorings, so as to keep away from the exit of Woods yard.  It wasn’t long before the crew of the Bridgecraft boat that I’d helped moor behind us at Womack Dyke the night before, arrived and needed help to moor again.

With them safely moored, we set off for our pilgrimage to Norfolk’s very own temple of tat (Lathams), where the wife parked me with a sausage roll, coffee and the dog outside while she went shopping.  Fortunately, the weather was lovely and sitting waiting was really no hardship.  She was gone a while and and I had visions of her coming back with armfuls of stuff she didn’t know she wanted until she saw it, but she’d  only bought a few bits.  I went for a quick look round, whilst she waited with the dog and was instantly put off by the sound of a cheap musical ornament playing bloody Christmas tunes.  Grrrrrrrr!!!!  I did buy a few bottles of beer, though, so it wasn’t a wasted journey.

By now it was lunchtime.  Deb suggested fish and chips, but our last visits to the Potter chippy haven’t been rewarded with good quality food, so I ordered takeaway from Bridgestones.  I rushed back to the boat with them, passing Griff on BA, who was in conversation with someone on board.  Had I not had hot food with me, I’d have stopped for a natter, but cold fish and chips aren’t good.  Sorry Griff!!

Back at the boat we had lunch, before setting off for our overnight mooring.  I wanted to get to the moorings on Fleet Dyke (the first ones as you head towards the broad) and was happy to see that there was space for us when we arrived.  We whiled away the rest of the afternoon, me reading and the wife doing some knitting.

I cooked dinner of pork loin chops, with broccoli and new potatoes and we watched Vera before retiring to bed, tired and satisfied after a glorious day on the rivers.  The weather looked good for at least a couple more sunny days and it wasn’t long before I was happily snoring!

F7C2C695-BF79-49F3-B9B6-BFE8039A1FCA.jpeg

2FE8E73F-4FA1-4F31-870D-AAF65783DF59.jpeg

29F1E96D-46C0-4541-82A1-B7D8E47FD68D.jpeg

894674B0-12C3-4B48-9E5D-899C30C3ABB3.jpeg

17BF7CAE-61F8-4498-AEEA-D7BD644D7672.jpeg

ABBBF198-8F11-46BF-B9AC-FBEACEBE6DAC.jpeg

CD052805-4694-411B-9C49-B04C6E521BB8.jpeg

859ACCA9-8221-42F0-BBF4-3C035021B9DC.jpeg

• Like 7

Monday 6th September (Part One)

Just realised that I titled yesterday’s blog with the wrong day.  Must be my age!!  Anyway, I woke on Monday full of anticipation.  Surely it would be a lovely morning and I could fly the drone again, but no.  It was very misty, so I grabbed a few photos whilst Debbie walked the hound.  We wanted to go to Wroxham (Hoveton) for some supplies, so cast off before 08:30 and headed up The Bure.  There was plenty of traffic on the river, increasing as we neared Wroxham by countless dayboats.

We moored at Barnes, on the inside of the pontoon, as the outer spaces were already occupied, mostly by craft too long to be there.  I wandered round to the office to let them know and was charged £7 for mooring a private boat.  By now, the mist had lifted and it had warmed up - a lot!  In fact, it was quite muggy (as my mum used to say).

We went to Norfolk Marine first, to try to chase the whereabouts of our new cooker, ordered about three months ago.  Still no sign apparently, unless we opt for the version without ignition.  Must be a worldwide shortage of bright sparks, I guess!!

Roys next, where the wife despatched me with a list whilst she waited outside with the dog.  When I came out, she moaned that I’d been too long.  Sauce!!  I didn’t complain at all the previous day, waiting outside Lathams.

We wandered back to the boat before I visited Jeckells.  We want some new cushions for the seats in the aft cockpit, but I want to get a quote and mortgage offer before actually placing an order.  I then went to The Golden Arches to collect something for lunch.  I know it may seem an odd choice, but it filled a gap.

6418D72B-F302-4EAA-AD0B-E111629A53D2.jpeg

17816780-C7F2-4598-9C93-AC90EF9A2569.jpeg

DE24267B-C021-4AC6-9AFF-6CA1F70AD122.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Monday 6th September (Part 2)

Lunch eaten, I watched a nice looking boat being lifted behind Barnes yard and wondered if it might be CC’s new purchase.  I won’t say more in case it was!!  We set off from Barnes at about 13:30.  I wasn’t really sure where we’d moor for the night.  Maybe Cockshoot, maybe somewhere up The Ant.  The weather had improved, with bright sunshine and a light breeze taking away the slightly muggy feel of the morning.

The river was busy with both cruisers and dayboats.  We chugged along, in no real hurry.  Salhouse I noticed, was already packed, with just a few gaps still available.  We carried on through Horning and past Cockshoot, where there were spaces, heading I hoped, for somewhere quieter and eventually turned up The Ant.

Just before we reached the bridge I spotted Ray’s new boat, not being helmed by him though and exchanged greetings with the helms person.  We passed under the bridge and without realising, also passed Chris (Ceepee 1952), who was moored at the starboard bank.  There was room to moor, but I figured on handover day at Richos, that it would get busy later, so carried on up the river.

How Hill was full, as were all of the wild moorings between there and Irstead where there wasn’t any room either.  I crossed Barton Broad and found plenty of room at Paddy’s Lane.  Phew.  We moored and I relaxed.  It had been a long, hot day and we were grateful to have stopped.

I helped a new crew fresh out of Richardson’s to moor, after two unsuccessful attempts, the second one resulting in the loss of a fender.  We had a chat for a few minutes and I gave them a few tips on mooring after they said that they’d been tempted to take the boat back to the yard and go home, so nervous had they become.  Hope they fare better for the rest of their holiday.

No more boats arrived and there was still plenty of space as darkness fell.  We had dinner, watched Silent Witness and went to bed.  Sadly, although there seemed to have been a lovely sunset, we weren’t moored in the optimal place to watch it, so photos were limited.  Never mind, might be a good one tomorrow! 😁

EACD2609-F624-49D0-844E-AC545DD68A6A.jpeg

1482A7C0-21EA-406B-8E8C-D223339DD4F5.jpeg

9CB488ED-A575-4F30-89C6-04AE599FECE1.jpeg

F5DF8F92-D71B-45CA-9CD7-83828FC84BCA.jpeg

45DCED72-6ED0-4CC8-A413-DFF8BADAA695.jpeg

0A1CD854-31F3-4C2F-9CF2-8E118AB8D65D.jpeg

0695C7E8-D88C-411E-8E5A-E07D0B962FE6.jpeg

5D6C28CF-11F3-49EA-8B94-90B93D6DE12F.jpeg

• Like 6

Just now, Lulu said:

Is the £7 charge just for the day or overnight?

For the day! £15 overnight for private boats.  Due to our airdraft, we don’t have much option.  The marker was showing over 7ft at the bridge yesterday, so plenty of craft we’re passing through and the pilot was busy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Love that final moody shot Malcolm with the spiders webs. . . . . . . .

Thanks Helen.  Just taken with an iPhone, though.  I have to reformat photos from my camera on our iMac at home before I can post on here.  Something to do with Apple products apparently.

18 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

. . . . . . . It always look forward to your tales, for the wit and the exceptional photos.

Why, thank you.  Not sure what else to say!!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Just before we reached the bridge I spotted Ray’s new boat, not being helmed by him though and exchanged greetings with the helms person.

I popped down below for 2 minutes! LOL however said helms person (I call her Gill... among other things) relayed your greeting, which hopefully I'll return in person next time 👍🍺

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ray said:

I popped down below for 2 minutes! LOL however said helms person (I call her Gill... among other things) relayed your greeting, which hopefully I'll return in person next time 👍🍺

I never like to assume anything!! 😁😁  Fairly certain I saw your previous boat out and about today.  DC30 with a wooden top and a grey band around the top of the hull.  Did look in spectacular condition.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ray said:

Sounds like her, she's called Dakota and we had the topsides revarnished last year. Good to know she's being cared for 👍

Had no name visible and saw the number, which I immediately forgot!!  Doh!!!

13 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

“ I watched a nice looking boat being lifted behind Barnes yard and wondered if it might be CC’s newpurchase.  I won’t say more in case it was!! “

Highly likely it was 

Looks very nice.  Quite jealous of that one!

Tuesday 7th September 

The sight of sunlight coming through the roof hatch encouraged me to drag myself out of bed.  A quick glance out of the window confirmed that it was worth it, so I hastily pulled on some clothes, grabbed my camera and a drone and walked round to Barton Turf to take some pictures.  It was a lovely morning, a little misty which added to the scenery for my photos and I spent quite a while recording some images.

I returned to the boat for toast and marmalade before we headed off for Stalham.  We needed diesel, water and a pump out, so Simpson’s was the destination.  There was a boat just pulling off the fuel quay, so I turned and manoeuvred Norfolk Lady alongside.  Forty two litres of fuel were added, the toilet pumped out and water topped up quickly and efficiently, just in time for two more hire boats to arrive, both for pump outs.  I reversed back into a free space on the Staithe, whilst the wife went to Tesco’s.

When she returned, I went for a shower so missing Chris (CeePee1952), who stopped to chat to the wife.  Sorry Chris, nothing personal.  By now, the sun was blazing down and it really was quite hot.  Suitably refreshed, we cast off and went for a leisurely cruise to Wayford Bridge where we turned and came back the way we came.  I’d hoped to see a kingfisher along that lovely stretch of The Ant, but was once again disappointed.

It was coming up to lunchtime, so we crossed Barton Broad and went to Gayes Staithe to see if there was room to moor.  It was rammed, so we crossed Barton again this time heading back down towards How Hill.  Irstead was predictably full, as were all of the wild moorings, but there was plenty of space at How Hill.  We moored at the far end, almost opposite Turf Fen Mill and settled down for the rest of the day.  We read and the wife did some knitting as we watched the river traffic pass.

I took a few photos as the sun set, which was less than spectacular to be honest and we had our evening meal of beef burgers (from Roy’s) in brioche rolls with some salad.  After such a hot day, frankly it was all we could manage.

After watching the concluding episode of Silent Witness, it was time for bed.  It had been a beautiful day, so unexpected for the beginning of September, but the weatherman had warned of an end to the good weather.  

• Like 5