Norfolk Lady Tales

Mouldy

Tuesday 14th September 

The weather on Monday night, when we looked out prior to going to bed, suggested that there was little chance of a photo worthy sunrise on Tuesday morning, so I was in no real hurry to get up.  However, when I did, the colour of the sky looked as if I was wrong.  I took a couple of shots with my phone and within a few seconds it was gone.  Deb took Harley for her morning walk and I started to tidy the boat.

It was going home day, so after breakfast we started to head back to the yard.  The weather was dull and cloudy, with a stiff, cool breeze.  It was evident that the recent spell of ‘summery’ weather was over.   The wife went for a shower and I noticed that I had a new ‘first mate’ sitting in the other seat, studiously watching the activity at the sugar refinery as we chugged by.  Harley was obviously happy sitting there as it’s where she remained until we’d returned to base and finished packing.  I foresee competition for that seat on our next visit!!

With our stuff transferred to the car and Norfolk Lady cleaned and ready for our next visit, we sadly locked her up until next time.  As we pulled out of the yard, the heavens opened and we reflected on how lucky we’d been with some spectacular weather over the past twelve days.  We’d had a wonderful time, eaten well and I’d quite enjoyed the company too! 😉

6A3D18F1-6C24-4338-A2CC-9CDA78E3F926.jpeg

FD327CFC-7FA8-4B3B-8C04-22B151CA0BAD.jpeg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Can you fit in an extra seat Malcolm? Harley's pose there reminds me of Seren. They both like to see what's ahead. 

It’d be a bit awkward to be honest.  She’s normally happy sitting on one of the seats in the aft cockpit (as long as the cushions are out).

F77911B6-6196-4F2A-806D-97C599EA3113.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Saturday 2nd October

Back on board for the weekend.  The weather has returned to normal (grey skies, breezy with strong winds and rain forecast later), but it’s good to be back.  Currently moored at an otherwise deserted Langley Dyke watching the world drift by.   Home tomorrow afternoon, but we’ll be back next Sunday (10th) for a week, which we’re both looking forward to, even though it’s less than a month since our last break!!

EC7DF468-5EBE-4744-8D82-7B12B7CF2ABB.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Hi Mouldy (Malcolm),

I'm relatively new to the Forum, and have just spent the afternoon reading your fascinating thread from the very beginning.

What an amazing story you have chronicled over the last 2 years since you got Norfolk Lady, and I must say your pictures are just superb.

Norfolk Lady is exactly the sort of boat I would like to get myself, and it seems like you have the most brilliant time on her and on such a regular basis too.

Now you have owned her for 2 years, it would be really interesting for you to summarise how you have found the boat to use, maintain and live on over the period - both the good and the not-so-good.

I look forward to reading more about your adventures !

11 hours ago, Bikertov said:

Hi Mouldy (Malcolm),

I'm relatively new to the Forum, and have just spent the afternoon reading your fascinating thread from the very beginning.

What an amazing story you have chronicled over the last 2 years since you got Norfolk Lady, and I must say your pictures are just superb.

Norfolk Lady is exactly the sort of boat I would like to get myself, and it seems like you have the most brilliant time on her and on such a regular basis too.

Now you have owned her for 2 years, it would be really interesting for you to summarise how you have found the boat to use, maintain and live on over the period - both the good and the not-so-good.

I look forward to reading more about your adventures !

Firstly, thank you for your kind comments.  Photography has been a hobby for many years and for a while when I left school, my intended occupation.  Sadly that didn’t work out, but I still enjoy taking pictures and now I’m retired with a little more time on my hands, beginning to explore the process of post processing.

As far as my experience with Norfolk Lady is concerned, she is a practical boat for us.  Accommodation for two is good and although the settee in the living area can convert to a small double, you’d have to be very good friends to use it.

We went for a sedan style as we intended to and do, use it through the winter.  Whilst hiring, we found some craft with sliding canopies to be draughty and although there is a sliding roof over the helm, the living area is draught free and cosy.  The downside is obviously the airdraft, which does prevent passage under Wroxham, Potter, Wayford and Beccles bridges and caution is needed at St Olaves, Somerleyton (closed) and Ludham, although all three can be negotiated with attention paid to tide times and clearance.

Ours doesn’t have a bow thruster and can be tricky to manoeuvre when it’s very windy, being light and tall, but we manage, but generally it’s easy to handle and moor.  The freeboard is quite high, but with the bathing platform at the stern access isn’t usually a problem.

Overall, the boat suits us well, although if finances permit at sometime in the future, we would like something a little larger, so we could invite friends aboard for either a holiday or at least an overnight stay.  Until then, we are happy to keep her and make improvements where we can.

I’m no mechanic and we’ve been fortunate to find a mooring where the proprietor is a very skilled and capable marine engineer and boat builder, who has helped with many of the issues that have arisen over the past two years.  He’s just fitted a new cooker and had the installation tested and is costing other improvements that we may go ahead with depending on costs.

The Broom 29 Sedan is a popular craft on The Broads, with several still in hire fleets.  One of the other Forum members has just purchased one and he may chip in with his views too.  As for us, over two years in and we still enjoy every minute we spend aboard.

• Like 5

Just love Langley Dyke. Ans when you get it to yourself it is pure peace and quiet ... apart from the time that we moored there while the BA were doing some work! 

Are you staying south or perhaps coming north for your next week afloat ... or not made plans yet?

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

. . . . . . . . . Are you staying south or perhaps coming north for your next week afloat ... or not made plans yet?

Hopefully coming north on Monday 11th, as long as the weather doesn’t cause issues with the tides.  The times are good to cross north and return to the southern rivers later in the week.  It’ll probably be the last Breydon crossing this year for us, but we’ll have to see.

No plan as to where we’ll go , or when, but a meal at The Lion is long overdue and a visit to the butchers in Ludham is nailed on. 😁  A lot will depend on clearance under Ludham bridge, as The Ant is our favourite river on the northern side and we always like to spend at least a couple of days up there.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Firstly, thank you for your kind comments.  Photography has been a hobby for many years and for a while when I left school, my intended occupation.  Sadly that didn’t work out, but I still enjoy taking pictures and now I’m retired with a little more time on my hands, beginning to explore the process of post processing.

As far as my experience with Norfolk Lady is concerned, she is a practical boat for us.  Accommodation for two is good and although the settee in the living area can convert to a small double, you’d have to be very good friends to use it.

We went for a sedan style as we intended to and do, use it through the winter.  Whilst hiring, we found some craft with sliding canopies to be draughty and although there is a sliding roof over the helm, the living area is draught free and cosy.  The downside is obviously the airdraft, which does prevent passage under Wroxham, Potter, Wayford and Beccles bridges and caution is needed at St Olaves, Somerleyton (closed) and Ludham, although all three can be negotiated with attention paid to tide times and clearance.

Ours doesn’t have a bow thruster and can be tricky to manoeuvre when it’s very windy, being light and tall, but we manage, but generally it’s easy to handle and moor.  The freeboard is quite high, but with the bathing platform at the stern access isn’t usually a problem.

Overall, the boat suits us well, although if finances permit at sometime in the future, we would like something a little larger, so we could invite friends aboard for either a holiday or at least an overnight stay.  Until then, we are happy to keep her and make improvements where we can.

I’m no mechanic and we’ve been fortunate to find a mooring where the proprietor is a very skilled and capable marine engineer and boat builder, who has helped with many of the issues that have arisen over the past two years.  He’s just fitted a new cooker and had the installation tested and is costing other improvements that we may go ahead with depending on costs.

The Broom 29 Sedan is a popular craft on The Broads, with several still in hire fleets.  One of the other Forum members has just purchased one and he may chip in with his views too.  As for us, over two years in and we still enjoy every minute we spend aboard.

It certainly sounds like you are living your dream !

I have been looking at the Broom 29 (and similar Haines 29) and they could be a decent option for me. Good to understand the bridge limitations, although I see the 'soft-top' version has a folding radar arch so can get under Wroxham and possibly Potter on a good day.

Looking forward to reading more instalments of your adventures ... 

2 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

. . . . . . . . . . .I have been looking at the Broom 29 (and similar Haines 29) and they could be a decent option for me. . . . . . . . . 

The Haines has a very different internal layout, although they look very similar from the outside and generally command a substantial price premium.

4 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

. . . . . . . although I see the 'soft-top' version has a folding radar arch so can get under Wroxham and possibly Potter on a good day. . . . . . . .

Is called a Broom Ocean 29 and also command a price premium.  As far as I’m aware, no examples of these have been in a hire fleet, but I’m fairly certain that they won’t fit under Potter - not much does these days other than the Martham ‘woodies’, swans and dayboats.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

The Haines has a very different internal layout, although they look very similar from the outside and generally command a substantial price premium.

Is called a Broom Ocean 29 and also command a price premium.  As far as I’m aware, no examples of these have been in a hire fleet, but I’m fairly certain that they won’t fit under Potter - not much does these days other than the Martham ‘woodies’, swans and dayboats.

OK, having looked at a few out-of-date ads that are no longer available, I can see the layout is not quite the same but there aren't enough examples of either to get current pricing. I do prefer the Broom berth layout of a double rather than a V-berth.

Interesting you say the Ocean 29 is a premium - you would have though the extra GRP for the hard-top would cost more !

I've seen the air draft listed as 6' 5", against PH being 6' 5" with a 6" rise/fall, but I appreciate it is an old stone arch and conditions can also effect water levels. I should probably forget the idea of ever going under PH again, especially in my own boat, unless it is a dingy ...

There is actually an Ocean 29 listed on the NYA site at the moment, but showing as Sale Agreed. I need to start saving !!

It’s not just airdraft that affects a boat’s ability to pass under PH bridge.  It’s also the width across the roof.  If you look at something like a Connoisseur from the stern, the corners of the cabin roof have been taken off and chamfered.  Their old base was the Coltishall side of Wroxham bridge, so they were designed to pass under an arched bridge.  Although the Ocean 29 has a low airdraft, it’s depends whether the corners of the cabin roof are too wide to negotiate the arch at Potter or possibly even the pulpit rail.  I honestly suspect that they are, although that is not definite.

Used boat prices have been at a premium for a while now, due to Covid and the related issues with foreign travel causing people to seek other means to take holidays.  

• Like 1

I am fortunate to own a Broom 29 Soft top and can confirm that she won’t fit under either Wroxham or Potter Heigham Bridges even though the air draft is only 6ft 6ins.

I did own a similar boat several years ago and she would fit under Wroxham Bridge because you could unclip the pulpit rails and move them slightly although it wasn’t easy to do.

My current boat does not have this facility I,m afraid.

Other than that, they are lovely boats and as the radar arch drops you can safely get under Beccles Old Bridge and is less hassle at Somerleyton etc.

With the radar arch up the air-draft  is about 8ft6.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Ptg1527 said:

I am fortunate to own a Broom 29 Soft top and can confirm that she won’t fit under either Wroxham or Potter Heigham Bridges even though the air draft is only 6ft 6ins.

I did own a similar boat several years ago and she would fit under Wroxham Bridge because you could unclip the pulpit rails and move them slightly although it wasn’t easy to do.

My current boat does not have this facility I,m afraid.

Other than that, they are lovely boats and as the radar arch drops you can safely get under Beccles Old Bridge and is less hassle at Somerleyton etc.

With the radar arch up the air-draft  is about 8ft6.

Many thanks for that information - I knew Potter Higham would be an issue,  but didn't expect Wroxham for the listed air draft with the radar arch down.

That's where owners knowledge is so useful  !

23 hours ago, Mouldy said:

One of the other Forum members has just purchased one and he may chip in with his views too

Indeed he will, for it is I 🙂

Actually it's hard to find anything to add in terms of the boat itself. Ours does have a bow thruster, the boat as mentioned above though is light and relatively high, on our last 2 outings we had wind/current situations that the thruster couldn't overcome. Having said that all the boats around us were having problems and a great Broads camaraderie grew up as we all mucked in getting each other in and out as required 👍

In many years of hiring and owning I have never enjoyed helming any boat as much as this one though, I find her very responsive and it's a real pleasure when manouvering. In most situations I don't use the thruster anyway, it can be helpful of course but if it didn't already have one I doubt I would go to the expense of fitting one.

The large sedan helm position gives an airy feel to the whole boat and when in the cabin you feel as though you are in a much larger boat.

In short, for our purposes this is 'The One' and we have tried more other types than I should admit to (I say this as joint founding member of the 3 Boats In A Year Club... the other member knows who they are 😂)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Ray said:

In short, for our purposes this is 'The One' and we have tried more other types than I should admit to (I say this as joint founding member of the 3 Boats In A Year Club... the other member knows who they are 😂)

The Club has now been renamed as The Broom Cupboard as we can’t keep up with Ray’s purchases lol.  Brundall Navy needs to join now he is a Broom owner 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ray said:

Indeed he will, for it is I 🙂

Actually it's hard to find anything to add in terms of the boat itself. Ours does have a bow thruster, the boat as mentioned above though is light and relatively high, on our last 2 outings we had wind/current situations that the thruster couldn't overcome. Having said that all the boats around us were having problems and a great Broads camaraderie grew up as we all mucked in getting each other in and out as required 👍

In many years of hiring and owning I have never enjoyed helming any boat as much as this one though, I find her very responsive and it's a real pleasure when manouvering. In most situations I don't use the thruster anyway, it can be helpful of course but if it didn't already have one I doubt I would go to the expense of fitting one.

The large sedan helm position gives an airy feel to the whole boat and when in the cabin you feel as though you are in a much larger boat.

Thank you for that - there seems to be quite a collection of 29'ers. Looking at the Owners Club website, it says only 51 were built, so there is a good chunk of those just here !

Out of interest, are you based in the north or south rivers ?

I'm based in the North, up at Sutton Staithe Boatyard. Ludham could be an issue over winter but as it's OK during most of the season we can live with that. Especially as there are plenty of days out or short stays above the bridge.

• Like 1

Sunday 10th October 

We arrived at the yard just before 10:00 and transferred our bags onto the boat.  We wanted to be with striking distance of Breydon and although Polkeys Mill is nearest, our dog does struggle to get off the boat there when the tide drops.  The weather forecast a cold night, so Hardley Mill, with electric available looked a fair bet.

Possessions stowed, we wasted no time in casting off and heading out for another week on board.  There was only one boat left moored at Silverline’s yard, so it looked as if the rivers will still be quite busy.

It wasn’t long before the mizzley (is that a word?) rain became heavier and for a while the weather did look grim.  It eased off as we progressed down the river, which proved much quieter than I thought it may be and aside from negotiating a cluster of sailies near the end of Fleet Dyke, there were few other craft on the river.

We arrived at Hardley Mill shortly after midday to find only one other craft moored there, which was surprising as the mill sails were turning and it was open to the public.  We moored and hoped that it wouldn’t get too busy.  The Silverline boat departed and a Broom Explorer arrived in its place, the crew going to the mill for a look round.

They departed a while later and we were left alone on the moorings.  We paid our £5 mooring fee and I started to prepare dinner.  I heard a couple of boats chug past as I was concentrating on slicing some onions and carrots for a casserole, not wanting to add sliced finger.  I looked up just in time to see Broad Ambition cruise past.

The weather had improved and had left us with quite a pleasant late afternoon.  As the sun set, I went outside with my drone to capture a few images and flew it again later, to get a few shots of Cantley in the glow of their yard lights as darkness fell.

We've just polished off a tasty beef casserole, with broccoli and potatoes and are settling down to watch tv for a while.  It’s an early start tomorrow, to catch the tide through Yarmouth, so we’ll be retiring early to satisfy my requirements for adequate beauty sleep. 😁😁

1E10A210-62CA-4006-9D6F-4435D13C118F.jpeg

463E8830-5492-4547-A6C7-0497DB99DD8D.jpeg

07A18B1F-B088-4150-8B2F-195005764A89.jpeg

35D57D20-903E-4A4C-A768-D41186DCEA9A.jpeg

51BED5AB-26D7-48BD-A27B-E2D6029F76D1.jpeg

BB81EE0E-E23B-4FDF-BED9-0F5EDFD3BAAB.jpeg

A1B34403-CB1A-40CB-BCA6-4BD13C40B253.jpeg

DA90787C-6148-4908-8D8B-CCE32D5496EB.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Just now, Broads01 said:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . I've never moored at Hardley Mill and you've reminded me to give it a try.

To be honest Simon, we moored here for the first time a few months ago.  I’ve only been coming to The Broads since 1969 (with my parents)!!  There’s a little background noise now that Cantley is operating again, but nothing that you’d really notice.  When the river traffic stops, it’s a really quiet spot, on a pontoon so no worries about tidal rise and fall and theres electric hook up, too.

Highly recommended!

• Like 3