Norfolk Lady Tales

Mouldy

3 minutes ago, Jbx5 said:

Hard to believe a company with as many boats as Herbert Woods wouldn’t have any spare ropes !

My view as well, especially as they were able to locate a new gearbox to fix one of the Lads Week Jewels off the shelf!

my guess is that over winter maintenance new ropes are made up with splices etc, it may just be that they had run out of pre-eye-spliced head and stern ropes in the stores, they certainly had plenty of pre-prepared fenders as we needed 6 and jewel 3 needed another 2

1 hour ago, grendel said:

my guess is that over winter maintenance new ropes are made up with splices etc, it may just be that they had run out of pre-eye-spliced head and stern ropes in the stores, they certainly had plenty of pre-prepared fenders as we needed 6 and jewel 3 needed another 2

I get that it’s the end of the season, but whilst they still have future bookings, they should have available sufficient safety equipment to be able to send their craft with adequate mooring ropes in good, usable condition.

• Like 2

Saturday 16th October

I’d intended to try to wake up in time to catch the sunrise . . . . . but failed.  By the time I rolled out of bed and pulled some clothes on, I’d missed the best of it, but hurried to get a drone in the air to catch what was left.  But it was cold, very cold.

When Deb came back from walking the dog, we had a leisurely breakfast.  I watched anxiously as the crew of the boat I’d helped moor the previous evening cast off and was ready to rush out to fend them off Norfolk Lady if necessary, but the managed to exit the dyke without hitting anyone.

We set off at about 09:30.  Low water at Yarmouth was at about 14:00, so allowing for a stop at Acle for water, we had plenty of time.  We turned left out of the dyke and before we’d arrived at the junction with The Bure, we passed the boat that we’d nervously watched leave the moorings earlier, anchored into the reeds with both engine covers up.  I looked for someone to shout to, but there was no one visible, so carried on our way, wondering what was wrong.

We chugged slowly down the river in no particular rush as we had plenty of time, but we were soon at Pedro’s basin, where I moored stern on and close to the water point.  Deb had already showered, so I went for mine before topping up with water and giving the dog a stroll along the bank, to do what she needed to, before setting off.  We had a long cruise ahead, so needed to make sure her tanks were empty.

There was an attendant strolling around, who seemed anxious for us to depart, so we cast off earlier than I wanted, at around 11:10, so set the revs to little more than tickover and headed down The Bure.  The journey was uneventful and we made good progress, too good in fact and despite my best efforts to stretch the time out, we arrived in Yarmouth about 20 minutes before low water.

The yacht station was quite busy with several hire craft already moored.  We passed through, carried by the current and safely under the bridges onto Breydon.  I turned at the yellow post and virtually stopped in the falling current, so upped the revs sufficiently to make adequate progress.

There were quite a few boats crossing, mainly hirecraft, but we were passed by Spirit of Breydon, who thankfully waited until they’d passed us before opening the taps and getting on the plane.  We’d decided on Oulton Broad as our overnight mooring, so once across Breydon, we headed straight down The Waveney.  I’d already booked a side on pontoon mooring at Oulton, so wasn’t too concerned about the time, but we were punching the tide and progress was slower than it might have been.

With St Olaves and Somerleyton bridges safely negotiated, I relaxed as we continued towards the turning for Oulton Dyke and we eventually moored at around 17:15.  It had been a long cruise, but the weather had been bright, if a little chilly.  We took Harley for a walk to the park, where I took the opportunity of getting a drone in the air again as the sun set.

Back on board, we settled in with the electric hooked up and the TV on.  We had dinner of lamb chops with broccoli and boiled spuds.  Very tasty.  It wasn’t long after the end of Strictly that I started to feel my eyelids getting heavy, so I had a hot drink and headed for bed, leaving the wife watching Blankety Blank.

It would be our last full day on Sunday and I hoped for some more good weather as our holiday drew to an end.

E31D79CE-CC3C-41D9-979E-DA609314F69B.jpeg

AC1AFAF1-2E31-4BE4-BE91-7DE48E86F580.jpeg

9F269A9C-FA13-4F1B-8563-F3661D8640B5.jpeg

29582A16-6585-430F-AD35-CF1942C3D36C.jpeg

FA150F16-3B69-421F-898B-D85C9D8FF8F7.jpeg

13812BB2-BB8B-4DBB-BEAB-D74F0D66EEE9.jpeg

48911CF4-85C2-4083-8142-E952DD92FC71.jpeg

E5FF1088-A754-4BEA-9CBF-C71B2EE6C05F.jpeg

9F2EA149-33E1-404E-919B-8EB00F488D30.jpeg

4FEEC46A-1634-425B-9102-D95A4A6612C0.jpeg

147FAF19-EB22-4CDC-8618-55C0A89A942E.jpeg

2F554626-F705-400B-A419-B43D466C37C1.jpeg

A1B7B0A4-6A95-44FD-8C5A-2071A1AE5169.jpeg

19B22DCC-5C3E-4AA1-BFCD-AADF1E9E167C.jpeg

A69775B9-0921-46FE-8812-13897419D983.jpeg

A7023EB5-C6D5-4125-BCB0-868D37030405.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:

Looks like you got the drone up just in time to catch the lads week crews returning to HW's seen cruising down the thurne in formation in this picture

Just checked the rest of the shots I took whilst the drone was up and you’re in this one, too.

16580FBE-3C5B-480F-B26E-043A4DC32094.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Paul (Swancraft) had fitted a new cooker to Norfolk Lady before our last week on board, however when we ordered it, hadn’t realised that it’s footprint was slightly smaller than our old cooker, leaving a bit of a gap behind it.  Aside from not looking too great, there was a risk of food or utensils falling down the gap and being difficult to retrieve.  We decided to get a new worktop fitted and thought that the piece we had over from our new kitchen at home might fit the bill.  Sadly, it was about three inches too short.

The company that supplied and fitted our kitchen is currently in the process of relocating, due to the expiration of the lease on their current premises and selling off various bits and pieces of stock.  I called them on the off chance that they had a suitable length of worktop and they had and it was in a suitable colour too.  A couple of weeks ago, I collected it and dropped it up to Paul for him to fit and he messaged me a couple of days ago to confirm that he’d completed it.

We were due up to the boat yesterday evening anyway and we were both anxious to see how it looked.  As ever, Paul has done a great job.  The worktop looks good and it’s been finished to a high standard.

As for the weekend, it was already dark when we arrived, so stayed in the yard and had fish and chips from the Brundall chippy for dinner.  There was another very high tide this morning when we woke and we had a good push from the falling current when we went to Reedham.  I bought a couple of small cheese and tomato quiches for lunch from Cannells and we are now moored at Hardley Mill for the night, plugged into the electric and without the worry of tidal rise and fall on the pontoon moorings.  It’s been raining on and off all day, although thankfully, it’s off at the moment.  The cloud cover is unbroken, so I can’t see any hope of a sunset, but I’m grateful to be away from some fairly intense decorating activity at home and the smell of paint!!

E0B834E9-3DA9-433D-9C28-82F2DF61C8B0.jpeg

C7D47D6D-81BE-4DB5-B098-270227949316.jpeg

CD98843D-A26D-46C4-A13B-562A5E072E1A.jpeg

25375672-00CC-4E5C-91C7-89CDE377481C.jpeg

• Like 11

28 minutes ago, Ray said:

He's made a lovely job of that, he is certainly highly recommended as I've found out myself this year 👍

The worktop I managed to get was a breakfast bar type with two bullnose finished edges 670mm wide, so he’s cut one edge off to use as an upstand around the worktop. Finished it off a treat. Really pleased with how it’s turned out with a grill at the back to vent the oven.

• Like 1

That’s a really neat job. I think you really fell on your feet when you got a mooring at Swancraft.

How are you finding the chippy in Brundall since it changed hands? We haven’t been there yet, but judging by reviews it now seems to be one of the more popular chippies in the area.

I’m hoping to be able to patronise Cannell’s in Reedham as much as possible. It’s good to have somewhere to stop that has really nice sweet and savoury treats. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

That’s a really neat job. I think you really fell on your feet when you got a mooring at Swancraft.

Thank you and yes, we certainly did.

27 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

How are you finding the chippy in Brundall since it changed hands? We haven’t been there yet, but judging by reviews it now seems to be one of the more popular chippies in the area.

I think it’s very good.  We have no complaints.  The chippy in Blofield is good, too, but Brundall is obviously nearer and it always seems to be busy on Friday evenings.

27 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I’m hoping to be able to patronise Cannell’s in Reedham as much as possible. It’s good to have somewhere to stop that has really nice sweet and savoury treats. 

Agreed.  Everything we’ve bought from there has been good, but I dare not start on the cakes.  I do have a bit of a sweet tooth and it could be quite costly . . . . . . . . . . . . . . to my wallet and waistline.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Not many chippies in the area but really good to hear that Brundall Chippy is in good hands.

I’m hoping to be able to patronise Cannell’s in Reedham as much as possible.

Reedham has changed. For the good. A bit run down a few years ago but increasingly becoming a "go to place"

The river side with a couple of new builds, a renovated Nelson public house plus the well cared quay side cottages, is a delight. As is the magnificent view across the marshes. In late summer watch a murmuration  of starlings in the distance, skeins of geese, and Mallard, Teal flying into the marshland to the north. The Marsh Harrier, Red Kites and sometimes the Peregrine may be seen quartering the marshes in front of you. The Marsh Harrier, seems every evening.

Broads Authority quay attendants to assist your mooring, also offering advice as to how to moor your boat, tie your boat, explain springs, show you how to tie springs to your boat, simple when you know how. All for free. And so is the Reedham sun set. You might even see me on me wall. ( a bit of a downer I'm afraid)

Sorry. I got carried away. Cannell's. A Farm Shop. Equals the best in Broadland. A great selection of farm food, cheeses and so on. Wonderful coffee. Please don't forget to stagger up the lane (at the side of the pub) to The Hills. Turn right for the fish and chip shop, and the village shop. If the Vikings is open, a social club for believe it or not, a Tug of War Team club. Team now defunct but please correct me if I am wrong. However, a warm welcome.

And finally, particularly relevant at this time of the year, take time to walk past the Sanderson boat yard, up a slight incline, some fifty yards from your mooring and visit the small but immaculate memorable surrounded by flowers and the American flags which remembers the sacrifice of the crew of an aircraft of the  United States American Air Force  which crashed just to the east of Reedham in marshland with the tragic loss of all the crew. Still remembered.

Old Wussername

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We’ve just arrived home from a quick visit to Norfolk Lady.  We should have been afloat this weekend, but the arrival of Arwen dissuaded us, but we did need to set up the dehumidifier and reset the thermostats on the tube heaters in the engine bay.

We’d ordered a couple of new cushions for the seats in the aft cockpit from Jeckells recently and we were surprised to see that they’d been delivered and fitted.  We originally wanted cushions for the backs as as well, but the cost was eye watering, so decided to settle for these for the time being.  I have to say they look great and are more generously padded than the ones that came with the boat.

Better pay for them now!!

DD91AECF-29E6-4B86-B918-17247A4AED9C.jpeg

607B91F7-8491-4969-B446-D22A4A96CEE1.jpeg

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

It’s the 1st January 2022 and what better way to spend New Years Day but afloat?  The weather is unseasonably warm and bright, if a little breezy, but we’ve had worse weather in August before now.  Good to see that the First Mate has exercised her right to the wife’s usual seat!!  Clearly starting the New Year how she intends to carry on!!

Happy, peaceful New Year to you all.  Covid may not yet be beaten, but let’s hope that it’s impact is lessened and we all have a better year!!

BCEFC1F2-21F1-4BB1-A893-ED184C3BBBBF.jpeg

05EE963C-6528-4BCD-B60C-3A3A30378C8F.jpeg

35CAAC12-8D93-47CE-9E89-35238CE0208A.jpeg

0B82AF30-DD76-43EC-9C06-5E0B9F62ABA9.jpeg

• Like 12