Norfolk Lady Tales

Mouldy

I think that partly what separates the careful and the careless helms is an appreciation of the boat in it's own right.

From the moment I stepped aboard my first hire in the early 80s I knew that if I was lucky and worked towards it then one day I would own one of these beautiful things. 

For many years of course I was just as happy to hire and to be entrusted with someone else's craft (and still would be if I hadn't been lucky)

A boat is never just a "thing" it is a Norfolk Lady.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Ray said:

I think that partly what separates the careful and the careless helms is an appreciation of the boat in it's own right.

From the moment I stepped aboard my first hire in the early 80s I knew that if I was lucky and worked towards it then one day I would own one of these beautiful things. 

For many years of course I was just as happy to hire and to be entrusted with someone else's craft (and still would be if I hadn't been lucky)

A boat is never just a "thing" it is a Norfolk Lady.

I had the same attitude when hiring.  I treated each hire boat with the same care and respect that I give ours now.  I also only hired from yards who took some pride in the appearance of their fleet - Russell Marine, Brister, Royalls and Summercraft over the last 20 years we hired.

The way some folk treat their hirecraft horrifies me.  I wonder if they test their cars the same way? 🤨

• Like 4

Thursday 21st July

It was another slightly disappointing start to the day, cool, breezy and very overcast.  That said, we’d both enjoyed a better nights sleep due to the cooler temperatures.

We had breakfast and I helped a hireboat crew leave the mooring to our stern.  I’d watched him moor the previous afternoon and was wary of his somewhat kamikaze attitude.  I tried to shout instructions to him to help, but he clearly thought he knew what he was doing until almost ramming Norfolk Lady, then taking some advice.  Anyway, he eventually got away without hitting our boat.  There was another accident waiting to happen, pity the crew who he chooses to moor near next time and another reason I was pleased that today would be our last full day on the northern rivers.

We cast off just after 09:00, heading for Potter, needing milk, crisps and bottled water.  I swung into Woods yard and moored on the visitor moorings to the left as you enter, before having a quick shower.

Once dressed, we walked to The Temple of Tat and I was despatched in to make our purchases, but did deviate slightly from my instructions when I bought cakes.  Sorry, but in Lathams, that is the law!!

We walked back to the boat intending to fill with water.  The boat that was moored in front of us the previous night was moored side on on a water point, so I squeezed in on the end of their main mooring and filled up as quickly as possible, not wanting to have my ear bent again.

Water filled, we made our way back onto the river, heading back towards the junction with The Bure.  I wanted to get onto the staithe at Upton and turned into the Dyke hoping that there would be room.

As we approached the moorings, I could see a space at how very end, which would make our getaway the next morning  much easier.  Once alongside, we turned Norfolk Lady on the ropes and made her secure.

There were a few breaks in the cloud and some glimpses of blue sky by now.  It was still breezy, but warming up nicely.  I could see a large sail heading up the main river and guessed it was a wherry, so flew a drone to get a few pictures.  She appeared to be making way under sail, rather than being pushed by the accompanying dinghy.

We had a chat go the couple on the boat moored astern of us and watched as a couple of private craft came down the Dyke, both of whom moored stern on at Eastwood’s yard.  A hireboat from Summercraft came down a bit later, but seeing there was little room, turned in the Dyke and made his way out again.

By now the sun was well and truly out and it has turned into a glorious afternoon and evening.  I set the Cobb up to cook dinner and was just about to start cooking when another hireboat came down.

Between the guy on the boat begins us and me, we managed to talk him into the only space available without hitting anything.  The helm was grateful and we had a chat for a few minutes before he and his crew went off to the pub.

I cooked dinner of boneless pork chops which we enjoyed with a salad.  We read for a while and as the sun went down, I took a few photos.  It has been another good day in the end.  As ever we retired after our customary hot drinks.  It was to be back over Breydon the following morning, as our holiday drew to an end.

A5754715-11D6-4B99-B665-B1B3F1F13BA3.jpeg

4BB382DA-097F-4DDF-8D67-049F32B937F2.jpeg

16D35DFF-BEF5-411E-8F14-44C80F4F6F1B.jpeg

323EF15F-E21A-419E-9F30-E6920340F3B6.jpeg

670F29A3-3B32-44DA-8688-07377C2C2BAE.jpeg

A186301B-498E-4C59-BCB8-116F3DBBACED.jpeg

E3BAD5EA-2FE0-4771-B2C1-34FE1B389118.jpeg

811113F9-C167-4EA3-AF5E-E8833CC3AACF.jpeg

2C0A1851-B437-4098-983E-63D9426BC3BB.jpeg

58A423BD-EA03-4A9C-A10F-FEC47C472B08.jpeg

0D49BDE3-7F0F-47B7-8A5D-075D3E8BAAA4.jpeg

• Like 8

I remember as a kid, always helping dad clean whatever boat we hired. It was a daily routine and we both loved it and took pride in keeping it pristine.  It was our boat for a week and always gutted when we had to hand the boat back.  I absolutely hate cleaning the house, but love cleaning Luna. Mopping the deck takes me back to happy childhood holiday memories. Just sad now that I know dad cant manage to get on and off a boat anymore 

• Like 6

i still remember the guy at rockland telling everyone who arrived how to steer their boats into the gap and how you cant steer in reverse, only to have charlie on BA reverse down the dyke and swing into a space the same width as BA easy as you please, while this guy just stood at the bow of his boat with mouth wide open.

• Like 3

Some boats  you can steer in reverse without any problem whatsoever. Some are absolute pigs. Some 42ft boats i have reversed with no problems at all, over several metres, and more, negotiated 90 degree bends in the process to their mooring. All day long.

The worst boat ever, is the so called picnic boat. Length I don't know, 32ft, 36ft. Hired to those of little or no experience. An absolute minefield to moor stern on. Many a time at Womack I have been told what to do. I have often felt like saying, OK mate you do it! Hop on and I'll do the shouting bit. 

It is not that easy for some, especially the holiday maker and I sometimes feel concerned that some are so critical, especially when the actions of some private boats beggars belief. And without exception, may I suggest that we have all been there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wussername said:

Some boats  you can steer in reverse without any problem whatsoever. Some are absolute pigs. Some 42ft boats i have reversed with no problems at all, over several metres, and more, negotiated 90 degree bends in the process to their mooring. All day long.

The worst boat ever, is the so called picnic boat. Length I don't know, 32ft, 36ft. Hired to those of little or no experience. An absolute minefield to moor stern on. Many a time at Womack I have been told what to do. I have often felt like saying, OK mate you do it! Hop on and I'll do the shouting bit. 

It is not that easy for some, especially the holiday maker and I sometimes feel concerned that some are so critical, especially when the actions of some private boats beggars belief. And without exception, may I suggest that we have all been there.

This was side on on Womack Dyke.  There was little clearance behind and only about three feet between him and us.  I’d cast the stern off, pulling the bow into the bank until it was at 45 degrees to the bank and clear of the craft behind him and told the helm to go astern. He promptly applied full right lock and went full throttle forward.  His crew mate, realising what was going to happen, shouted at him to go backwards, which he did, thankfully, otherwise I fear the damage to our boat would have been significant.  He eventually got the message to reverse, but then almost allowed his stern to swipe the side of ours before he straightened up as he went forward.

I agree, we’ve all made mistakes and many, including me, still make them, but often hirers accuse privateers of letting them struggle when trying to manoeuvre and not offering to assist, but this guy was beyond help, sadly.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, andyg said:

Interesting to see in your wroxham photos, that Barnes haven't developed the old royalls site. I haven't been round there since Nigel and Sarah sold up I'd thought they'd of knocked all that down and either built on it or create more basin space for there fleet. Guess it's all in the pipeline. 

Yeah Barnes have always used the space just for boat storage. I'm not sure what they use the building and boat shed for, if anything. I guess there's not a huge amount of space there to do much different.

Such is life Mouldy. You have to live with it. I do.

I help people these days, of course but but I do hang back a bit some times.

Last year, on me wall, at Reedham,  a day boat was pinned on a lee shore. They shunted backwards and forwards. Bang on the boat in front, bang onto the boat behind. I walked over and politely said " may I help and get you on your way" A women appeared and said in a very loud voice.  "We can manage THANK YOU VERY MUCH " 

I retired gracefully. Sat back on me wall. Mrs Wussername brought me a cup of tea. Life was good.

The boat continued at various speeds to release itself. To no avail. The helm looked at me. I smiled and drank my tea.

Was it because I'm old. I look old. Perhaps that is why they chose to ignore me. Who knows.

I finished my tea. I smiled at him.

He came over and said " I'm sorry mate my wife did not mean to be rude and she would like to apologise." I said that I would accept her apology. 

We stood and looked at each other. There was a hush. For several minutes. Nothing was said. He disappeared  and after a long period of time she appeared and said " I'm sorry" nothing more, nothing less. A few minutes later after a few words of advice, and a wave, they were on their way.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Friday 22nd July

Our last full day on board this trip.  It looked a bright start to the day, so I hastened to get dressed and go out with the cameras.  It was much cooler, although bright and I wandered around the end of the Dyke taking a few photos.

An angler has set up a few yard along on the opposite bank and several folk were taking their dogs for early morning walks.

Pictures taken, I went back in for breakfast.  It was sadly already beginning to cloud over, but having had the weather we’d had for the last twelve days or so, we couldn’t complain.

The two private cruisers that had moored overnight at the boatyard left their moorings and made their way carefully past us, but there were no signs of movement on either of the boats moored astern when we cast off.

Low at Yarmouth was at 11:18, so I thought that leaving our mooring at about 09:30, we’d pass through the Yacht Station at around 11:30(ish), giving us best clearance under the bridges.  In the end it was about 09:40 when we actually departed, making our way slowly along the Dyke before turning right onto The Bure.

There were already quite a few craft heading in the opposite direction and a lot of empty moorings at Acle, although most of the seats outside the Dune Cafe were occupied and the smell of bacon made me crave a cooked breakfast!

As we neared Yarmouth, there was a steady succession of boats heading north, but still we hadn’t seen another boat heading the same way as us.  We passed the Yacht Station, which looked quite busy and negotiated the bridges at 11:50 showing 9’6” clearance, before turning at the yellow post.

I’d expected to almost stop as we turned into the last of the falling current, but was pleasantly  surprised as we’d only lost about one mph.  My timing must have been pretty good, for a change (either that or it was just good luck😉).

We only passed a stragglers heading in the opposite direction, but I still couldn’t see anyone else heading the same way as us.  It was strangely quiet crossing Breydon.  Once across, I turned to continue along The Yare, heading for one of our favourite moorings at Langley Dyke.  The bridge was open at Reedham, where there were a few craft moored, but we carried on.  As we approached the ferry, I noticed another boat following us, who overtook us as we passed the sugar refinery.  The wife said I hope they don’t take our spot and as we arrived at the turn to Langley Dyke, almost predictably they turned in in front of us!!

We shouldn’t have worried, though.  There was only one other private boat moored and we managed to get our favoured spot where the Dyke narrows at the end.

Once again, as on the previous day, the sun had broken through the cloud and we had some pleasant, sunny intervals through the rest of the afternoon.  I flew the drone, taking a few more pictures and we sat and relaxed until it was time for dinner.

I’d splashed out on some steak from the butchers at Ludham, which I griddled on the Cobb, with tomatoes and onions accompanied by some salad.  Very tasty and a cracking last supper!

After a quiet evening, reading and relaxing, we retired after our  hot drinks, reflecting back on the previous few days.  It had been a truly memorable time afloat.  Fantastic weather, good food, we’d met some fellow Forum members and finally put names to faces, been to all of our favourite places on the northern rivers, I’d enjoyed taking many photos and we’d relaxed.  It was everything a boating holiday should be.

EFCA7740-7A01-4262-B3AD-1F337EEC0D02.jpeg

84AFCD62-9666-46DA-9531-373AC56B7D63.jpeg

42CBD7F6-113A-4ED5-8B7D-43F3B2A5D2CA.jpeg

CD52EA8A-5E63-4372-A012-D3CB8698F50B.jpeg

D8FB79CB-F71F-4941-9769-A982AD0C910D.jpeg

8A56B0B8-0897-4C7E-A28C-30A4C3FAF2BA.jpeg

B67944EE-0D41-4069-A35E-B32105ED61D6.jpeg

9A739C4D-224A-46D1-A5A8-D7CAE4B99D45.jpeg

AF9B966D-C168-477D-93F8-0A217EB99DE0.jpeg

C2DA40CF-42BB-4459-9AB9-8254C9CDC437.jpeg

87D2B961-5A9E-4D46-AEF2-9BF87AD8382C.jpeg

6CAD9745-200A-4F3A-AF33-6B0AB00DF051.jpeg

E0BDCCBF-0E69-44CC-8A9E-CB8C83A776D3.jpeg

6FC29ADD-9A9E-4297-81DD-A2317D1E99CB.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Saturday 23rd July

It was quite bright when I woke, but with a few clouds turning the sun somewhat hazy.  We had breakfast and by the time we set off back to the yard, the sun was beating down again.  I wished that we could have stayed a bit longer, but we had things to do on Saturday, when we got home and had to visit family in Milton Keynes on Sunday to take our youngest grandson his birthday card and present!

We passed Pipedreams heading in the opposite direction, somewhere near The Beauchamp Arms.  I called to Simon and he waved back, but I wasn’t entirely convinced that he knew who was calling him!

Passing the aforementioned pub, I couldn’t help but notice that a strange looking barge(?) moored there had been given a lick of paint over the two weeks we’d been out.  Instead of primer grey, it was now sporting a coat of fairly conspicuous lemon yellow.  Blends well with the blue of the pub!😉😁

We we’re soon back at base and spent a couple of hours cleaning the boat, changing towels and bed linen ready for next time and loading the car before setting off for home.

Hopefully, we’ll be back for an weekend this weekend coming, so not long to wait.

All of the photos posted so far have been from my phone (an iPhone 13, if you’re interested) and my two drones (DJI Mavic Air 2 and DJI Mini 3 Pro, again for those who may be interested).  I took several hundred photos with my two cameras and will post a few more when I’ve finished sorting them and converted them to a file format that will display on the Forum.

40FF7A90-CAFA-4299-A8C5-FBB1D69917F4.jpeg

B01EAE7C-7372-4FC2-ACC2-856489413563.jpeg

366E6B02-2BC7-4AD8-8913-A552C959E4F8.jpeg

AFB3152B-6A30-4AB4-A92D-CC735508F868.jpeg

• Like 6

Felt a bit inspired yesterday and it wasn’t raining (bonus), so went for a ride up to Brundall to do a bit of boat cleaning.  Shampooed the canopy and did a bit of waxing, before having a pleasant ride home.

Hard life, this retirement lark!

2F52ED08-FD29-4DCE-9496-7EF1350B4F76.jpeg

• Like 3

We’re back again . . . . . . . . . . . Just can’t keep away!!  Only for the weekend this time, though.  Currently moored at Hardley Mill after cruising here from Brundall, just for a change, going with the falling current!

We haven’t been here for a while - it’s one of our favourite moorings down south and really peaceful now the river traffic has stopped (not that there’s been much!).

2B8C75AD-7B61-4BD9-8132-17EEB63A209E.jpeg

8A6E3E16-E03B-4E7D-B4E3-7A5A1D8EA888.jpeg

147B729B-3C41-4BCD-8842-D2087A4AFD21.jpeg

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

We returned home yesterday, earlier than expected, from a much needed weekend aboard.  My mum passed away on 1st October.  To be honest, it wasn’t unexpected as she’d been I’ll for some time and in hospital for about four weeks, prior to being discharged to die at home.  We saw her before she passed and I barely recognised the person laying in bed that I’ve known for over 66 years as my mum.  She’d lost so much weight and looked so gaunt, it was very difficult.  I’ve struggled with my emotions since, sad that she’s passed, but happy that she is no longer in pain and reunited with dad, who passed away back in February 2017.

Her funeral is this coming Friday and I’ve had a trying few weeks dealing with everything associated with someone’s passing.  Aside from applying for probate, I think that everything is now done and Friday will allow me the opportunity to grieve.

Just to cap it all, I developed toothache last week.  Since moving to Norfolk, I have registered with a local private dentist (the chances of finding an NHS one accepting new patients is akin to finding a live unicorn) and had an estimate for necessary work.  Three fillings, the examination and two X-rays coming in at just shy of £1000 (and I thought owning a boat was expensive!).  I have an appointment tomorrow for open wallet surgery, which will hopefully address the toothache.

We arrived at Brundall on Friday afternoon and after transferring our stuff onto the boat, we cast off as the sun was going down.  Our intended destination was Rockland Staithe , with Short Dyke as an alternative should the Staithe be full.  When we arrived, I was amazed to see that there were no other craft moored, so manoeuvred into the right hand corner, secured Norfolk Lady and hooked up to the electric (sadly only 26p left, but all donations gratefully accepted, however small).

The temptation to head for the pub was difficult to resist, but we had a meal of pasta with cheese sauce and a garlic flatbread on board.  It rained overnight (so the wife said), but I’d been blissfully unaware and eventually woke around 07:00.  With the immersion on, we had a leisurely breakfast and showered, before leaving around midday.  The trees surround the moorings looked glorious in the sunshine.  Once again, the pub was calling, but I resisted again and we chugged across the broad and onto the main river, heading for Hardley Mill.

The river was quiet and I only saw one other boat before we arrived at Langley Dyke. I looked down and could see that our favourite spot was empty, so span the boat round and moored at the end.  The weather was really good , especially considering the time of the year, with bright sunshine, but a cool breeze taking the edge off the temperature and we had a peaceful afternoon.  The two other boats that had been moored left, leaving us on our own again.

With no pub to tempt me, sausage casserole had to do, but it was tasty and filled a gap.  We retired after watching Strictly and a developing comedy on TV.  I won’t mention the name of the programme, but it starred a thick set bloke with unruly blond hair and a well groomed multi-millionaire.  Unscripted, too.  Amazing!

The weather forecast for Sunday was for heavy rain, but it was still dry when we woke, again around 07:00.  The wife rushed to get ready to take Harley for a walk, before the forecast precipitation started and we set off for the yard when she returned.  As usual, the rain started to fall just as we manoeuvred into our home mooring and within a few minutes it was heaving down.

We tidied up, loaded the car and set off before midday, much earlier than usual and called into Dereham for shopping before heading home.  It had been a short break, but much needed for me.  I’m just hoping that Friday will allow me some kind of closure and to move on.

63411293-3B94-4185-86FC-0DE7D3D1707E.jpeg

993BB2BF-148D-40FB-AC3C-24EBFF3465BD.jpeg

BDA1C435-9DF9-43A8-9FA9-7183542780E7.jpeg

918FDA5B-30CB-4C06-8506-E5EDB62144FC.jpeg

4D4A3D1D-6CF6-46D8-BEF2-634F6B2412A7.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

We retired after watching Strictly and a developing comedy on TV.  I won’t mention the name of the programme, but it starred a thick set bloke with unruly blond hair and a well groomed multi-millionaire.  Unscripted, too.  Amazing!

Brilliant description!

Except I think "tragi-comedy" would be more like it.

• Like 1

So sorry about your mum Malcolm. However much you thought you were prepared, it would still have been a shock.  

The Broads are such a mentally restoring place to be.  I know Graham and I feel it’s our reset place.  Those pictures are glorious. We were on board over the weekend and couldn’t believe our luck with the weather until we got back to the marina at 10 and got drenched! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1