Jump to content
  • Announcements

    Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

    Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

    Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After a good nights sleep, I was awake early on Sunday morning.  I’m usually up around 04:15 for work and it’s a hard habit to break, but I did manage to doze off  and rolled out of bed around 06:00.

Saturday 23rd November I felt much better when I woke on Saturday and the sausages that I couldn’t resist hadn’t caused any reactions overnight.  To say I was relieved was an understatement.  Deb

Although we moved our boat from Horning to our moorings at Brundall, when we spent a night on board due to the tide times through Yarmouth, we had been looking forward to this weekend with eager antic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

Good to see you out again Malcolm, I can't wait for Monday to get back to my boat to do the same myself.

Hope you and Mrs M are doing well and have a lovely evening. Would love to have that meet up as soon as life allows again :default_beerchug:

Enjoy it mate.  Just a short break for us this time, but we’ll possibly be back between Christmas and the New Year.

Looking forward to meeting up sometime next year for a blather (and a beer or two) too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I love the Ferry House, Malcom. I'm sure you'll have a great evening.

Thanks Simon.  IMHO, the best pub on the southern rivers.  Even with Covid precautions in place, it’s as warm and friendly as ever.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I wonder if that’s happened to anyone else who has sold on an older, slightly battered car.

Similar happened to my dad in the mid 90’s I think.  Part exchanged his old car and received a visit from the police a few months later as it was still registered to him.  Apparently it was used in an armed robbery which I found hilarious as it was a 1.3 Austen Maestro!!!!!  They could have run faster!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Back home now after our weekend afloat.  We enjoyed our meal at The Ferry House as usual, but it was quite shocking to see how few people had turned out to eat there.  Our table was booked at 19:00 and there were only perhaps three other tables occupied when we arrived and only two more couples came in after us.  Thinking back to when we ate there on our anniversary last year, when every table was occupied and the pub was alive with laughter and conversation, it is difficult for me to understand how any pub can continue to survive unless their customers learn to trust the Covid precautions that have been put in place and return to support their locals.  Is going to the pub for a meal any riskier than going to the supermarket and fighting impatient shoppers for the bargains??  Looking at Cambridge Cabby’s photos of The Maltsters and reading his comments, coupled with our experience last night at two of Broadland’s most popular pubs, unless things pick up soon, a refreshing beverage in a pleasant riverside pub, sadly may not be an option in the future.

Anyway, back to my tale, we returned to the boat after our meal and watched tv for a while to allow our food to digest before retiring to bed.  We both slept in this morning and sadly missed the spectacular sunrise that I’ve seen reported on here and on FB, but I did manage to grab a couple of shots with my phone when I eventually rolled out of bed.  The wife went for a walk with the dog and I had a shower.  When she returned, she showered and got ready as I cast off and slowly cruised back to the yard, where we had brunch, washed up, packed away our things, vacuumed through and left shortly after 13:00.  We stopped at the McDonalds at Caxton Gibbet for a takeaway coffee and arrived home shortly before 16:00.  It had been good to get back to the boat and The Broads after being deprived of the opportunity during lockdown.  I just hope that Boris doesn’t impose another one before we get the chance to return once more.

B7389028-8AC2-4042-B56C-B2E2B0A21AA1.jpeg

FE8E4574-9BD4-4E94-804C-63369B626A03.jpeg

  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

it is difficult for me to understand how any pub can continue to survive unless their customers learn to trust the Covid precautions that have been put in place and return to support their locals.  Is going to the pub for a meal any riskier than going to the supermarket and fighting impatient shoppers for the bargains??  Looking at Cambridge Cabby’s photos of The Maltsters and reading his comments, coupled with our experience last night at two of Broadland’s most popular pubs, unless things pick up soon, a refreshing beverage in a pleasant riverside pub, sadly may not be an option in the future.

Couldn't agree more sadly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that if a business can turn a profit, then it will exist. Once this Covid hell is behind us, profitable pubs will open again. Not necessarily under the same management but return they will.

There are ways the government can help without it costing that government a brass farthing. There is no good reason why there should be such a thing as "Licensing hours" A pub (or any other business) should be allowed to ply it's trade whenever it thinks it's profitable.

Smoking is not illegal. It should be up to the landlord to decide whether smoking should be allowed on his/her premises. It would soon settle down to pubs where it is and pubs where it isn't. Oh and before people jump down my throat for allowing pubs to permit smoking, my point is that my objection is WHO decides. The government or the landlord.

Why people think that the age of the pub is over defeats me. Just taking the broads as an example for a moment. Lets say all the pubs close down. then Iopen just one, lets say at Hoveton. do you readers think it might get pretty busy? Well I do, so it wouldn't surprise me to find one open up in Horning, then perhaps another offering a slightly different experience. Then one in Potter Heigham etc.etc.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Might want to pick your brains at some point as to how you are getting on with your Broom 29 if you don't mind?

 

We are still undecided whether we are keeping our boat, getting another boat or selling up and getting a motorhome. But if we do keep a boat then the Broom 29 HT is one boat that is of interest too us. Something a bit less maintenance then we have at the moment but still a very manageable size.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cal said:

Might want to pick your brains at some point as to how you are getting on with your Broom 29 if you don't mind?

 

We are still undecided whether we are keeping our boat, getting another boat or selling up and getting a motorhome. But if we do keep a boat then the Broom 29 HT is one boat that is of interest too us. Something a bit less maintenance then we have at the moment but still a very manageable size.

No problem.  Send me a pm with your questions and I’ll do my best to answer them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

Was sent a picture today of our new canopy that was fitted by Jeckells.  The majority of it was fitted in January, but the extra bit was finished today.  I’ve been told by Paul at the yard, that it’s all good.

Just looking forward to travelling up to Norfolk soon to see it for ourselves.

 

A3A4D042-FDC9-4E12-B736-71739236BEE0.jpeg

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites

She looks super smart Malcolm!

Paul sounds like a just about the most helpful Yard owner you could hope to get. We’ve been so impressed how helpful he’s been to our Moonlight Shadow syndicate, even though we moor at Brooms. We met Paul February last year when we were on Moonlight Shadow during a week when Brooms were remodelling their fuel key and we were looking for an alternative option for our end of week refuel, pump out and water top up (the tap near our mooring having been turned off for the winter). We couldn’t have found anyone more helpful.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Paul sounds like a just about the most helpful Yard owner you could hope to get. We’ve been so impressed how helpful he’s been to our Moonlight Shadow syndicate, . . . . . . . . . . . . We couldn’t have found anyone more helpful.

Thanks Helen.  Couldn’t agree more about Paul.  He’s been a great help to us resolving the issues we’ve had with Norfolk Lady and an excellent marine engineer and boat builder.  We stumbled across the mooring almost by accident and are very grateful that we did.

He’s very popular with everyone that we’ve spoken to at the yard and I’m fairly certain that Mr Nog holds him in high esteem, too!!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Couldn’t agree more about Paul.

Thirded! :default_icon_bowdown: Paul is a first class boat builder and engineer and is always happy to give advice. 

5 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I’m fairly certain that Mr Nog holds him in high esteem, too!!

Absolutely! We hired for many years and I was absolutely gutted when they stopped (although I understand). Had no hesitation hiring to me in the winter and even gave me a 'reference' with Bridgecraft :default_norty:  I remember Paul let us take Swan Radiance out in the winter on its first year of hire. I was very flattered to be shown that level of confidence. We still pop in and take advantage of the visitor moorings if we can. Paul will always do anything to help. 

Tell you what, when those numbers come up I'll be back there like a shot!!!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Was sent a picture today of our new canopy that was fitted by Jeckells.  The majority of it was fitted in January, but the extra bit was finished today.  I’ve been told by Paul at the yard, that it’s all good.

Just looking forward to travelling up to Norfolk soon to see it for ourselves.

 

A3A4D042-FDC9-4E12-B736-71739236BEE0.jpeg

Hopefully Jeckells will have renewed our canopy by the end of the month. Yours looks good.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We purchased our boat from Paul, it was so straightforward and professional, a real gentleman. He built her for the previous owners and maintained her from thereon. Although we moor at Horning in an excellent yard with very good staff; because of Paul's knowledge and care of the boat, we always take her back to Brundall for servicing etc. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

OBB, the updated BA guidance  (as updated yesterday) is still showing no overnight stays until the 12th April, and the official government guidance is still 12th April, so I dont know where you have heard that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/03/2021 at 10:35, PaulN said:

We purchased our boat from Paul, it was so straightforward and professional, a real gentleman. He built her for the previous owners and maintained her from thereon. Although we moor at Horning in an excellent yard with very good staff; because of Paul's knowledge and care of the boat, we always take her back to Brundall for servicing etc. 

We also purchased our boat from Paul at Swancraft. Couldn’t be happier and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him to anyone. Both he and his wife are fantastic people and his work is excellent.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, grendel said:

OBB, the updated BA guidance  (as updated yesterday) is still showing no overnight stays until the 12th April, and the official government guidance is still 12th April, so I dont know where you have heard that.

PM sent with link and feel free to delete the post if it is in anyway misleading.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have received guidance that we will be sticking with the official government and broads authority guidelines here. while some may argue that the new legislation says different we will not entertain this discussion as it may be seen as disseminating false information, for which the forum can be held responsible, so this is a warning that any such deviations from the official guidance will be removed by the moderation team. so if you wish to argue that this is not what the legislation says, thats your right, but do it elsewhere. 

As and when official guidance changes we will continue to monitor this situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For the avoidance of any doubt can you please confirm what is "official government" guidelines if it is not the Health Protection Regulations that were laid before parliament yesterday?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Matt said:

For the avoidance of any doubt can you please confirm what is "official government" guidelines if it is not the Health Protection Regulations that were laid before parliament yesterday?

12th April

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • NBN Mobile App


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.