Norfolk Lady Tales

Mouldy

To get the thread back on track - just to say that we are taking a day off working on our bungalow to have a couple of nights on board Norfolk Lady.  Not sure yet where we will go tomorrow, but it’ll be good to get back out on the river.

30F1C99A-976C-445A-AB40-0F1C8B8214AF.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, SwanR said:

A well deserved break I’m sure. Have a lovely relaxing time afloat. 👍

Thanks Jean.  A short break this time, but hopefully next time, we’ll be able to have a few more days on board.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mouldy said:

To get the thread back on track - just to say that we are taking a day off working on our bungalow to have a couple of nights on board Norfolk Lady.  Not sure yet where we will go tomorrow, but it’ll be good to get back out on the river.

30F1C99A-976C-445A-AB40-0F1C8B8214AF.jpeg

Taken from almost the same spot, but just before 07:00 this morning.    As can be seen from the frost on the walkway, it was a cold night, but what a joy to see a sunny, still, calm morning.  Not sure how long it will last (depends what weather forecast you believe), but we’re enjoying it all the same!!

D7329C3B-F366-4C65-BE5D-12AF8965AA09.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

58 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Not sure how long it will last (depends what weather forecast you believe), but we’re enjoying it all the same!!

I’m hoping at least another week if not more we are coming up on Saturday for 2 weeks will look out for you Susan

6 hours ago, snunn said:

I’m hoping at least another week if not more we are coming up on Saturday for 2 weeks will look out for you Susan

I think next week is looking promising weather wise, so you could be in luck.  Sadly, we have to go home in the morning (there is still much to do in the bungalow), but we will be back soon.  There’s a lot of time to make up from missed breaks due to lockdown!!  
Enjoy your holiday.  Have a great time!!

We had a leisurely chug to Pyes Mill.  Although a few clouds developed, it is a beautiful, if somewhat chilly day.  There are a few boats out, private and hire and even a couple from Herbert Woods that have strayed across Breydon!!  Here are a few more photos taken today.

815BD085-E653-47E7-9A24-AE50F46C4ECA.jpeg

920BDA0F-6897-4728-93C1-024187BD7AE9.jpeg

5CE257F7-BEFE-4CD8-B219-E71C9D4DDBD4.jpeg

DBCDA8E7-165B-4D5C-A895-49BF9C3235EB.jpeg

0BB9E39C-55FE-4DFE-9DCA-4A17447DC543.jpeg

6EBA5D29-63ED-4B53-B181-68F846A4CE8E.jpeg

BA29EBC4-C0AF-464E-A6F9-C58568F82818.jpeg

1F887130-2DE3-41D0-B46B-4209675E71AD.jpeg

39287C71-A6CD-4AB6-B3D2-2F6BA4A3AD99.jpeg

3CE4F426-D821-4BDC-A089-6B010CE1527D.jpeg

D24FB8E9-793F-4ED7-A342-4B1B34963E16.jpeg

4FFA9D74-D278-43DE-83E6-790FB05FB977.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Lovely photos. I’ve been noticing that there is a real clarity to a lot of the photos I’m seeing on social media at the moment. Great visibility. Maybe it’s the icy chill that’s been blowing the pollution away. But there’s definitely something about the vibrant colours and clear air. I bet that was a lovely run down the Chet. 

• 2 weeks later...

We arrived at Brundall yesterday evening after a much shorter journey from our bungalow than our previous home.  After a stop at the Co-Op for supplies, we were soon on board Norfolk Lady.  We had fish and chips from the Brundall chippy, which were very good, before settling down for a quiet evening.  The weather looked quite promising when I woke this morning, but it soon clouded over and it’s really quite chilly.  I suppose that expecting anything else for a Bank Holiday weekend would be a tall order.  Nevertheless, we had breakfast, showered and set off down the Yare at about 09:30.  Not quite sure where we’re heading for, but we’ll know when we arrive.

As the wife says ‘looks a bit dark over Will’s mothers.’

448D0A9D-7D89-4CAE-B170-67E6B7FD8126.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Ynys Mon (Helen) mentioned in another thread that the weather in May could be unpredictable.  Given that it was a Bank Holiday, rain could safely have been predicted, but the mix of weather could definitely be classed as unpredictable.  Bright sunshine first thing, cloud, rain showers, hail, some sunny periods, breezy, but always unseasonably chilly.

We eventually arrived at Pyes Mill and was the only boat moored here for a while.  There have been a few comings and going’s throughout the afternoon, but overall there has been less river traffic than I thought there would be for a Bank Holiday weekend, although we did see Helen and Graham cruise by in Moonlight Shadow later in the afternoon.

This evening, at least, the weather has calmed down somewhat.  The breeze has dropped, the showers have passed and we have been treated to a sunset.  I fear tonight will be rather cold, but there is the prospect of a cooked breakfast to compensate in the morning.

54C0485E-0359-4220-B054-B25BBBB8D434.jpeg

0EC34F13-8F21-46E0-B3CC-C796269BED66.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, SwanR said:

. . . . . . . It certainly is a cold night. . . . . . . . . . .

And cold it was!!  I rolled out of my pit at around 05:15 to flick the heating on and hurried back to bed until about 06:00, by which time it was warm and cosy on board.  We were greeted by a beautiful, sunny morning, although the forecast is not promising.

As usual, Deb got dressed to take Harley for a walk and I pulled some clothes on to take some pictures, but not with my camera for a change.  Having bought my drones with me, I sent one up and captured a few shots.

Not sure what the plan is for today, other than a cooked breakfast, or whether we’ll stay on board for another night or go home this evening.  According to my weather app (Willy Weather - yes really!!) it will be raining tomorrow and there are things to do at home.

ABFD8374-4A49-44B9-B8E8-CFF91B705CC9.jpeg

53020480-C945-4FEC-B500-C5867F128BC7.jpeg

2E50925F-8840-4A5E-B0D7-23F725CE6148.jpeg

B0C5A2D2-3BA5-484F-9525-F3FCB09CC380.jpeg

E7A971DF-9D88-456C-AE75-606BBF6EE52C.jpeg

35747303-19DE-4659-9623-D998CF6BBA49.jpeg

EB3D93EA-AC80-47B1-9523-80E1646D51C8.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 3

We’re thinking along similar lines Malcolm. Make the most of today and then probably home in the morning. The forecast looks poor and if we don’t go before lunch we will have to make a decision as to how to fit the journey home around the snooker final! 😂

Have a great day. 😎

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SwanR said:

. . . . . . . . . . . .The forecast looks poor and if we don’t go before lunch we will have to make a decision as to how to fit the journey home around the snooker final! 😂 . . . . . . . . .

Happy to miss the snooker final, I don’t want to miss the last episode of Line of Duty!!

40 minutes ago, SwanR said:

. . . . .Have a great day. 😎

And you!! 😁

• Like 3

With the weather forecast for tomorrow worsening (not only wet, but with strong winds too), the decision to head home today was made easier.  We both wanted a shower, but with no shore power for the immersion heater, we cast off at about 09:00 and headed back up the Chet.  It seemed stupid to run the engine whilst moored for hot water, so far better to heat it on the move.

The destination was to be Langley Dyke for a late breakfast/brunch.  There was certainly more river traffic than yesterday, but still less than I though there would be for a Bank Holiday weekend.  Deb had already been for a shower, but I thought I ought to wait until we’d moored up before I went for mine.  It wasn’t long before we were at the end of Langley Dyke, despite punching the falling tide on the Yare.  Initially, there didn’t appear to be any available spaces, but as we approached the BA moorings, someone in a Hampton 25 was leaving.  We moored up and I went to get showered before cooking breakfast.  We usually only have a cooked breakfast on the boat and it was our first one since December, which made it especially tasty.

I went out with a drone to take a few photos before we headed back to the yard.  With the boat cleaned up and necessary bits and pieces stowed in the car, we set off for our journey home.  All being well, we’ll be back in a couple of weeks, hope for an long weekend, to allow me to celebrate a milestone birthday afloat.

5602D94D-6E77-4605-8D11-4410F8633067.jpeg

72D8CEA3-9532-4ED7-9324-C4EE7EA0A7BD.jpeg

8D7F3A68-83F4-4F1D-8423-734663E1C612.jpeg

5E8C43D7-A42E-40F4-9228-F1A4A8338E19.jpeg

2A357C45-3705-4BB9-9BFF-A263268BF071.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We arrived at Brundall shortly after 14:00 on Friday 14th May and stopped at one of the Co-Ops to pick up a few necessary food items before heading to the boat.  We hastily transferred our belongings onto Norfolk Lady and we’re heading out of the marina by about 14:45.

It was a fairly grey, chilly day, sadly without any sign of breaks in the cloud to allow even a glimmer of sunshine.  We knew that we needed to be close to Breydon Water, to cross early on Saturday morning, after consulting Aweigh, the Broads.org tide table.  Slack water was around 07:30, but with our airdraft, I did call the yacht station for guidance and was advised to go through at about 07:00 for the necessary clearance under the bridges.

I’d mentally set Polkeys Mill as the ideal overnight mooring and the journey there was uneventful.  The only other boats we saw before we reached Reedham were three Broom and three Silverline, all probably heading back towards their respective yards.

We passed Mr and Mrs Nog moored at Reedham, however I don’t think they saw us as we chugged by.  We were soon at Polkeys Mill, where I turned to moor into the strong falling tide.  With the boat secured, we settled down for the evening, enjoying a meal of baked gammon and white sauce, green beans and boiled new potatoes with a glass or two of wine.

An early night was called for, due to the requirement for an early start in the morning, so we weren’t late going to bed, tired and happy to the prospect of spending a few days on the rivers.

The alarm woke us shortly before five on Saturday morning.  When I was  working, I was always able to wake up without an alarm, but since retiring, I’ve been waking later and now need an alarm to wake me.  We both got up and dressed, Deb walked Harley and I prepared the boat, ready to cast off.  When she returned, we set off at about 05:45 and made good progress to the entrance to Breydon, helped by the falling current.  I was pleased to see that the height marker was indicating ample clearance at the bridges for us to safely pass under.

I saw no other boats as we crossed Breydon until we reached the bridge, where one of Richos newer craft was coming in the opposite direction.  The tide was still falling as we turned onto the Bure and I had to increase the revs to make progress through the Yacht Station right on time at 07:00, as advised.

A few craft passed us as we headed towards Stracey Mill, but not as many as I expected and there were several moored at the mill moorings, where the overnight mooring charge is now £6.  I wanted to top up the water, so headed for the old Horizon Craft basin in Acle.  It was empty, so we turned in and moored.  Deb took Harley for a short walk whilst I topped up,our water tanks.  I could smell bacon cooking and it was tempting to wander over the bridge for breakfast, but we resisted and set off once again, heading for Potter Heigham and Lathams.

Not long after we left Acle, we saw fellow Forum member Lulu aboard Luna (I think) heading in the opposite direction.  We waved as we passed.  Maybe one day we’ll get to meet up, hopefully next year at the Salhouse meet.  The northern rivers were clearly far more busy than those south of Breydon, but not as busy as I anticipated.

Heading up The Thurne, I saw an old Connoisseur heading towards us, the bow protected by multiple fenders.  I wasn’t sure whether they were to protect it or other from being accidentally hit by it.  We arrived in Potter before 11:30, moored at the second ‘quiet’ moorings and walked to Lathams, where I resisted the temptation to buy useless tat, but did get some treats for the dog and cakes for us, before walking back to the boat.

The weather had been grey and gloomy all morning, but it had started to rain.  We decided to make a move and headed the short distance to Womack Dyke, where we moored again.  This was to be our overnight spot, so after a light lunch we walked into the village.  The butchers was closed and we didn’t need anything else supplies wise, so walked back to the boat.

The rain had really set in by now, so we set up the aerial, Deb knitted, I read and we passed the afternoon quietly.  The rain stopped at about 18:30 and it was quite a pleasant evening.  I took the only photos of the day with my phone, just in case anyone didn’t believe me, before cooking a meal of pasta with sauce and garlic bread.

A combination of Norfolk air, an early start and nothing of interest on the tv was sufficient to warrant an early night, so we turned in before 22:00, hoping for better weather on Sunday.

8D520A53-54AA-413A-93C2-843C7E8AA3B5.jpeg

50026672-D4A7-402D-825A-21E99D62E440.jpeg

05C94DAA-0678-4CDA-8162-57AA18770C7F.jpeg

01DA51CC-6C2A-4672-B33B-6EC858C79B4C.jpeg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Not long after we left Acle, we saw fellow Forum member Lulu aboard Luna (I think) heading in the opposite direction.  We waved as we passed.  Maybe one day we’ll get to meet up, hopefully next year at the Salhouse meet.  The northern rivers were clearly far more busy than those south of Breydon, but not as busy as I anticipated.

Yep, that was  us and  great to see you this morning too on our way up to Potter 

• Like 1