Knotted

Poppy

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

It's all in here, folks, read and inwardly digest by next Thursday! 

https://www.liendoanaulac.org/space/references/training/Ashley_Book_Knots.pdf

I once spent a very enjoyable evening in the Butt and Oyster drinking Tolly with Des Pawsey, even remembered most of what he taught me! He's still going strong, if a little greyer about the beard.

I think the most important thing is to use a knot which will not jam if it has been under a lot of tension.

In this respect a clove hitch is practical as it can always be undone, even if the mooring rope is still under tension, such as in the tide at Reedham or GYYS. It can jam though, if you have got the two coils twisted on the mooring post. The Navy do not allow a clove hitch to be used for mooring small boats to posts in this way. They will always insist on a round turn and two half hitches, which is an excellent all purpose knot. It can jam, but only if it has been under a very heavy load.

A reef knot does what the name says. It is for tying the ends of reef points. If you use it for any job which means the rope will come under a large load, it will jam. Use a carrick bend instead, or two bowlines looped into each other.

The bowline is used to make a loop in the end of a rope and no matter how big a load it then carries, it can always be undone afterwards. It cannot be undone, however, if the rope is still under load. So you would never use it, for instance, to tie a line to the ring on a mooring buoy.

Another thing about knots is that if you have tied it right, it will always "look" right.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Timbo said:

Anyone undoing a 'finger trapper' without knowing how to undo it, would get a very painful rap across their fingers from a hidden counterweight up the line and the boat would remain safely secured.

This is one knot I would love to learn, any chance of remembering how it is done?

4 hours ago, Timbo said:

My round turn and two half hitches confuses the Rangers as I double the rope back on itself before making the knot. 

I have always done it this way, it’s useful if you have particularly long ropes. 

I am the ‘roper’ for our boat. I usually get off with both bow and stern ropes and my husband then joins me to complete the mooring up. I stunned him recently by tying the bow rope (clove hitch) one handed leaving him with nothing to do! 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

A reef knot does what the name says. It is for tying the ends of reef points. If you use it for any job which means the rope will come under a large load, it will jam. Use a carrick bend instead, or two bowlines looped into each 

Why not a sheet bend?

46 minutes ago, Coryton said:

Why not a sheet bend?

A sheet bend is used for joining two ropes of unequal width and as such, is not used very often. there is also the double sheet bend, if the two ropes are very different in width. These two, like the reef knot, will jam under tension.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Haven't heard of that.

As the name implies a sheet bend is used to tie a sheet to a longer thicker rope. A double sheet bend was also used to fasten a rope to a bosuns chair but that would not comply with H&S rules today

12 hours ago, stumpy said:

I once spent a very enjoyable evening in the Butt and Oyster drinking Tolly with Des Pawsey, even remembered most of what he taught me! He's still going strong, if a little greyer about the beard.

Des a couple of summers ago. Haven't a clue who the decaying old git is besides him! Des is an interesting and wise old man, doesn't miss much! Glad to read that he's still up and running, ace bloke.

P9050161 (2).JPG

• Like 2